Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-05-16 18:12:22
    This is just a test of your speaker mixing.  Someone said "Laurel" in a low voice, then fucked severely with the audio until you're only going to hear it right if you have your bass cranked way the hell up.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sounds like Bee is resting on his laurels.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Bass cranked up? Nahhhh
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I can only hear "Yanny" except in the version where the high parts were literally cut out
  • Yeah, this definitely has more to do with speakers than psychology or whatever. It's unambiguously "Yanny" on my phone and "Laurel" on my PC.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-05-17 18:42:11
    You can open up Audacity and fuck with the audio there and it's much more obvious.

See, this is a thing where you actually can hear two different things.  The dress only had one answer and you could prove it in Paint.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yeah but was the question what colour is the actual dress or merely what colour is the photograph?
    Bee said:

You can open up Audacity and fuck with the audio there and it's much more obvious.

See, this is a thing where you actually can hear two different things.  The dress only had one answer and you could prove it in Paint.
    I don't follow. Just because the image had blue pixels doesn't necessarily mean the dress itself was blue, unless you assume that digital cameras always represent color accurately, which we know isn't the case. That was the whole reason behind the ambiguity, after all.

I suppose you could argue that the dress had only one answer since it was a physical object and was in fact blue, but that's different than "the image had blue in it".
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-05-17 20:01:56
    White and gold wouldn't have shown up that way under any non-artificial lighting.  Even with how a camera compensates for ambient light, you'd need a pretty heavy blue light to produce that scheme, especially with so much daylight in the background.
  • That's true, but if you're actually looking closely at the background it's already obvious that it can't be white and gold, no Paint required.
    i've seen videos showing what is apparently the same dress and it's unambiguously blue and black, but no matter how i look at it, i can't see the dress in the photo as anything other than white and gold

i can't even see how the gold *could* be black
  • I used to only see white and gold. Now I somehow see white and gold if I look at the top part but blue and black if I look at the bottom part.
    okay listening to it with my headphones on my computer I hear laurel; in fact I could put in on both there and my phone and definitely hear yanny laurel yanny laurel alternating
    incidentally
    Bee said:

White and gold wouldn't have shown up that way under any non-artificial lighting.  Even with how a camera compensates for ambient light, you'd need a pretty heavy blue light to produce that scheme, especially with so much daylight in the background.

see it looks to me like the dress is in heavy shadow, and there's bright glare behind it but not on it

no blue light required
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipe-tan_wearing_The_Dress.svg ; I like that someone decided to draw Wikipe-tan in order to demonstrate the color theory behind The Dress
    oh so THAT's why Wikipedia's diagram shows a maid outfit instead

someone edited out poor Wikipe-tan

incidentally apparently white and gold means you're an early riser ("lark"), blue and black means you go late to bed ("owl").
    I hate that it's like impossible to find the original image now, since Googling "the dress" shows you a million versions that have been photoshopped to make one interpretation or the other clearer. Wikipedia has the original, but they reduced the size of it, because they don't know how fair use works.
    but even in the versions that are photoshopped to make it look blue and black, i see white and gold!
    GRAIN STORDLE
  • Man this one messes with me. It worked for a while and I could make it into green needle or brain needle or greenstorm or whatever but after doing it a bunch it started being brainstorm no matter what.
    i find that more interesting than the yanny/laurel thing since it seems to be perceptual, there is only one sound
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-05-18 04:19:43
    nevermind ninjas
  • Tachyon said:

i find that more interesting than the yanny/laurel thing since it seems to be perceptual, there is only one sound

Yeah this one is more interesting as an illusion.

also

I love SungWon
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Pffffffffft.
  • edited 2018-05-22 01:58:08
    I've listened to it several times now, and it's very obviously "laurel", unless I'm listening to it at low volume with lots of noise in the background, and thus only really hear the higher-frequency noises, which are the only way I can squeeze a long-E sound out of the second syllable.

Edit: scratch that; I can't even hear that anymore.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    oh my god
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    honestly that's probably going to be the pinnacle of my career as a meme-creator right there
  • The first thing I noticed is that shrunken down like that the dress actually looks blue and black.
  • yanny