collaborative writing project/RP interest check/signup

What i'm proposing is a group writing project in which everyone pilots a character.  In other words, an RP in that the goal is to tell a story and there's no DM.  The setting and plot is constructed post-by-post, each of us building on what the people before us wrote.

Just a fun way to practice writing and in the process create something none of us would have come up with individually.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That sounds fun
  • kill living beings
    completely blank?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    what do you mean?
  • I'd want to know more about the general premise. Cuz if you tell me "create a character" and I have to start completely at zero I'm not sure what I'd be able to come up with.
    i mean you can bring in a character from another project if you like, or even use someone else's existing character, that's fine too

i was thinking the premise would be basically free-form but if we want to decide on a particular scenario to start things off that's also fine
  • maybe we should decide on the scenario first

also I think original characters only is generally best
    if you'd prefer if we lay down some ground rules beforehand, like original characters only, then that's ok by me

i'd also wanna rule out godmoding/hijacking other people's characters and piloting more than one character at a time, just in the interest of keeping things pleasant
  • kill living beings
    what i meant was whether there's a scenario to start things off and stuff yeah
  • edited 2018-05-02 13:17:25
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well i guess that's something we can decide upon here

i suppose i'll elaborate a bit on what i had in mind?  basically i was hoping we could encourage posts that are a few paragraphs long, or at least, more substantial than just a couple lines of dialogue or whatever, with a decent level of description and scene-setting

so the setting would then grow organically from the story we were telling, and the point is to think on your feet and build on what's been established so far

with that said i can get behind coming up with a basic premise to start things off, just to get things moving
  • kill living beings
    more content seems pretty good to avoid hashtag openrp
    well i mean we got a signup thread so we're not that

but yeah ok, so assuming we're doing this let's narrow it down some

what kind of settings/scenarios would interest you?
  • Sounds pretty sweet!

Whatever setting we decide, we need to have some rules to ensure that the characters aren't ridiculously OP.
    well it's a story not a game, so OP isn't really a concern

i think we need to at least make it clear that your freedom to swing your fist ends at another character's nose, like you can fire a bullet but you don't get to say whether it hits

but if you can justify dodging a bullet in a way that's entertaining i think that's ok.  make good storytelling the chief arbiter here, rather than stats or whatever.   that's the concept here.
    well, ok, to get the ball rolling, how about a murder mystery?

one of us, randomly selected, is the murderer (is there some way we can do this w/o anyone else knowing?)

the rest are trapped in some location with them

the murderer tries to kill as many people as possible without being caught, the victims try to figure out who the murderer is

to murder a character you PM their author (ooc, obviously).  they then write a death scene or post-death scene, without giving away who did it

what do you think?  love it?  hate it?  too elaborate?  other suggestions?
    although actually that's a lot more constrained than i had in mind to begin with

perhaps a loose premise might be better, like 'family reunion' or 'boarding school' or 'first contact scenario'
  • kill living beings
    yeah that's gamier than i was expecting
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I’d be interested in this.
    see my first thought was 'murder mystery', and then i was like, 'how is that supposed to work if we know who the murderer is'

although i guess columbo
    ^^ yay!

so with me, you, Anonus and Toolsie all interested, assuming Klino and Jane are maybes, i think we have enough people to go ahead

still open to premise suggestions
  • Not into murder mysteries really.

if we're going more or less freeform something where we have the space to just interact is better I think
    ok, so not the murder mystery
    bump

still open to premise suggestions
  • edited 2018-05-05 14:38:57
    anybody have any preference at all regarding the premise?  historical?  contemporary?  fantasy?  realism?

if nobody's interested i won't bump this again
  • Sorry, I’ve been at work and my brain is fried D:

Historical fantasy sounds good. Like Skyrim-esque.
    it's fine (very much know the feeling at the moment), i was just worried this might die before it gets off the ground

Skyrim-esque sounds good to me.  maybe kinda Viking-ish, with magical elements?
  • It’s a brand new job, so I’m working flat out even though my hours aren’t that long.

And yes, Magical Vikings are the best.
  • I kind of want something weird

I am not sure what kind of weird

hmm.
    postmodern weird?  weird as in China Miéville?  weird as in wyrd?
  • Hmmm.

this is probably something best not thought about while I'm extremely tired. I'll try to remember to get back to you tonight.
  • edited 2018-05-07 05:00:53
    CUNTASAURUS REXXX
    so CLEARLY the characters wake up in an unfamiliar, nondescript location, utterly confused as to where they are and why they're they when BAM, reality starts unraveling before their very eyes. Weird, grants control to each person to shape the story as they please without their character making the change so that character doesn't become OP, weird, it's literally perfect and if you don't think so you can go fuRNISH YOUR BRAND NEW APARTMENT IN THE HEART OF THE METROPOLITAN AREA, CONVENIENTLY LOCATED NEAR A PLETHORA OF TRENDY SHOPS AND RESTAURANTS, ONLY $9999.98 A MONTH APPLY NOW!!!!!
    so basically an in-universe blank slate, if i've understood you right?

also, yay
  • I still don't actually know what I want to do with this and I am Frustrate by my own indecision.
    it's ok, not gonna rush you
    badabadabump

@Jane any further thoughts on this?
    i feel like if nobody has any further thoughts on the setting, maybe now would be the time to start making characters?  it's been over a week
  • I am creating my character, but work is kicking my arse at the minute because I’m working twice as many shifts as I should be (I said I would, but still).
    it's cool, i know how that goes
  • Yeah I've gotten tangled up in preparing to move, so I'm sorry that I haven't been commenting, but it doesn't seem like this is something I'm going to be able to commit to. I apologize :(
  • edited 2018-05-15 13:06:19
    aww, i'm sorry

no worries