9/7 is the New 5/4

edited 2018-05-20 05:26:52 in Chocolate
Sorry but it’s true. We superpyth now, boys.

Comments

• vtkvtk
    edited 2018-05-11 10:00:12
    embrace the confusion
    1.285714 is the new 1.25?

Edit: so glad I didn't have to adjust the css a bazillion times to get that to look right
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Clearly he meant that September 7th is the new May 4th.

Which means we have to wait until September for endless Star Wars memes now, I guess.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    That's a very US-centric interpretation. How do you know 9th of July isn't the new 5th of April?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I figured someone would say that, but I was expecting it to be Fossilmaiden.
  • But 1/7 is not a standard note length...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i suspect the only misinterpretation that occurred here was of the wilful variety
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-05-11 20:35:18
    A major third is 2^(4/12) -> 1.2599, which is clearly closest to 5/4.  Why the hell would you round that all the way up to 9/7 for a more dissonant chord that's almost closer to the next half-step up anyway?  The whole point of a major interval is to sound bright and happy.

You take your quarter-tone bullshit and get out, sir.
  • actually i legit didn't get the joke until Sredni explained it, but i guess i knew that i didn't get it so you could call my misinterpretation willful
  • edited 2018-05-12 01:59:53
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Bee said:

A major third is 2^(4/12) -> 1.2599, which is clearly closest to 5/4.  Why the hell would you round that all the way up to 9/7 for a more dissonant chord that's almost closer to the next half-step up anyway?  The whole point of a major interval is to sound bright and happy.

You take your quarter-tone bullshit and get out, sir.
    Being 13.7 cents off 5/4 puts the 12-EDO major third closer to the significantly more dissonant Pythagorean 81/64 third - or, if we are to be generous, to 24/19, which is *technically* a just interval but is still far more complex than 9/7, which makes a great bright upward-leading third within a chord (9/7 to 4/3 is very dramatic) in addition to just sounding different and cool. (Furthermore, superpyth tunings by and large have much more accurate versions of 5/4 than 12-EDO does, albeit as an "augmented second.")

Also the simplest typical superpyth is a twelve-note subset of 22-EDO, the basic diatonic "semitone" of which is very close to a quartertone as conventionally understood, but the cumulative effect is quite different.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    three chords and the truth
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Music theory is voodoo
  • kill living beings
    whoops thought it was time signature

whoops thought it was time signature

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    admittedly i did as well when reading the thread title, but the first post indicated otherwise
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

three chords and the truth

Two of these chords are supermajor triads; the third may surprise you.
  • Impress people on the internet with this surprising chord!  (Musicians hate this)
    what is the surprise chord? :o
  • edited 2018-05-14 17:33:32
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Probably either the Hendrix chord or the Battaglia chord. I considered saying the Cuthbert triad but that doesn't really exist in 22-EDO (or really most basic superpyth scales), although it does exist in a whole slew of other tunings with supermajor chords.
    I play the Hendrix chord so much I don't think it would ever surprise me.

Well, maybe in a Britney Spears song or something.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It would make a fairly surprising resolution point or secondary dominant in a minor progression. Or, in this case, maybe subminor to complement the supermajor.