People who think Star Wars is set in the future

What part of "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." is confusing you?
Tagged:

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    do these people exist?

i guess they just didn't see star wars, or didn't pay attention to the intro
  • It wraps back around bitch
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Um, actually Alice, the phrase "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" is from the perspective of the Whills, the narrator race that existed in the early drafts of the script, from whose perspective all this was happening a long time ago in a galaxy far far away
    OH CVOME ON
    i have learned something today
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The future

is in the past

ONWARDS LUKE SKYWALKER!!!
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    present day

present time

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Tachyon said:

do these people exist?

i guess they just didn't see star wars, or didn't pay attention to the intro
    I could have sworn I've seen some professional reviews from the 70s that assumed the movie took place in the future. The whole "space travel = science fiction = The Future" association is pretty ingrained.

I suppose one could reconcile it by saying that Star Wars is about events from our future, being retold by people even further in the future. So the intro, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." isn't directed at us but at a fictional audience who will exist long after these events.
  • edited 2018-05-01 23:36:42
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    MetaFour said:

So the intro, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." isn't directed at us but at a fictional audience

no that's actually what it was originally, Odradek wasn't making that up
  • kill living beings
    well, let's just check the wiki timeline for

STAR WARS HISTORY OFFICIALLY ENDS HERE. NO [LEGENDS] COMIC, BOOK, OR MOVIE EXPLAINS ANYTHING PAST 139 ABY. ANYTHING WRITTEN PAST THIS POINT IS NOT VALID IN ANY WAY AND IS NOT SOURCED MATERIAL.

oh
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aw, crap. There's one less thing for me to be smug and superior about.

CURSE YOU, GEORGE LUCAS!!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Sebulba IS available as a smug correction fact checker, he's very skilled at hitting the books if you need him...
    funny, i never pictured Sebulba as the bookish type
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    there is a lot you don't expect to be true of sebulba
  • kill living beings
    in the EU sebulba majored in classics
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    You joke, but in the EU, Sebulba actually became renowned as a hero for his part in defeating the Sith lord Darth Miasmus, who attempted to destroy the Temple of Tark Veris, the Jedi Order's largest repository of information.
  • kill living beings
    you're pretty good at making up star wars names
    had me fooled
  • edited 2018-05-02 01:24:51
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Sebulba used to be a slave, but now he is free and owns slaves.  His pod-racer used to shoot nails at his enemies, but now it shoots fire (it's also illegally big for a pod-racer, but nobody looks too closely at them).  Sebulba has a chair that he likes that he doesn't let anybody else sit in (he may be available, but his chair sure ain't).
  • I'm mad as heck because I knew all of those Sebulba Facts
  • kill living beings
    tbh my fave is that i googled it just to be sure and "Tark" and "Veris" are both star wars characters