The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• kill living beings
    ditto aliroz
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ever since discovering "Stairway to Heaven" I've never thought of 8 minutes as being particularly long.

you gotta go over 10 to get the "long" tag from me
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Avicii has died, aged 28.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Waitrman , Waiterman, check it out!!

What is it Chef?

W'ere finally rebranding
    Introducing our new logo: The SIXTY THREE SINGERS REGSAURANT

63 singers? that's more than the previous five!
    how'd you do it?

well, i went do dollar tree and bought $400 worth of blank notebooks

go on

then i decided to us e the blank notebooks to porp up my computer monitor

oh yeah, you just got a new domputer, didn't you?

it'ss the leatest technology
    "A 486 runiing Windows 95"

Time to play super fun games on it

Yeah! Like Math Wars!

What is math warts schef?

it's a game where you use calculus to shoot people with an assault rifel

sounds excellent
    where can i purchase this game?

the 63 singers restaraunt!

wait, we sell gamse now too?

of course/
    what did you think i'm holding in my hand right now

it's a stack of cheese slices, chef

of course it is
    that's exactly the same thing as a video game, as far as the irs is concerned

today i learned!
    I read that as "A 486 ruining Windows 95"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hello, I'm the Nostalgia Critic! I allow my website to burn to the ground so YOU don't have to!
  • I often find myself wanting more songs to be longer than three or four minutes actually
  • Update on the Toolsie front: Been talking to a lad for a couple of days. He's a year younger than me, and we seem to have things in common. 
  • Well, I may have just shot myself in the foot then. I revealed too much about my ex boyfriend to him, and now I think I've scared him off. Good going there, Toolsie. 
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I believe in you Toolsie.
    Unfortunate.
  • Does anyone even watch those?

Like, seriously aside from Maleficent I have seen nobody irl talk about them in *any* context
  • edited 2018-04-27 00:54:37
    I have one friend who was way into the second Alice movie. But then she also, really likes Disney in general.

I recall people talking about Beauty and the Beast around when it came out (mostly just in the context of "maaaaaaybe I'll see it") but pretty much not at all since.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I liked the Jungle Book one

Other than that I have seen none of them

But the Jungle Book one had Christopher Walken and Idris Elba, and some very impressive CGI animals so that was fun
    i haven't seen it but it looks cool

i've heard the version of Trust in Me, it's kind of interesting.  Sterling Holloway lisped the whole thing through and turned it into a funny number.  Scarlett Johansson plays it almost entirely straight, but for a little bit of a hiss on the last line she could be singing a lullaby, and the result sounds so sinister, it's really cool.
  • edited 2018-04-27 01:04:50
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i caught the tail end of the live action Alice in Wonderland on tv one time, it was ok but i vastly preferred the animated movie's take on that universe

i have never been able to bring myself to watch Maleficent because i like Sleeping Beauty too much
  • I haven't seen any of them, but then I haven't seen very many of the animated Disney movies either.

I did see the previous live action Jungle Book.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    rest assured, if that Cruella De Vil origin story movie gets off the ground, I will be pre-emptively nerd raging over it
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I haven't seen any of them, but then I haven't seen very many of the animated Disney movies either.

I did see the previous live action Jungle Book.

I watched that one a lot as a kid

That version of Kaa creeped me out
  • Anonus said:

rest assured, if that Cruella De Vil origin story movie gets off the ground, I will be pre-emptively nerd raging over it

why? You could just like, not do that.
    Jane said:

Anonus said:

why? You could just like, not do that.
    i was not entirely serious, but it is at times hard not to feel threatened by things

i did try very hard to reserve judgment on whatever the fuck CN is doing with PPG until footage appeared and from there I gave up hope
  • you realize that feeling "threatened" by media not being to your taste is completely ridiculous, right

like, just don't watch it. Watch other things.
    Even if you don't watch it, other people will, and they will be influenced by it, and then the great metaphysical concept that is Popular Culture will subtly but firmly swing against you, and the prison cell that houses your soul will be crushed ever smaller.
    the "threat" is, like, more to the legacy of something but yeah it is kinda silly

anyway if the Cruella movie, were it to be made, turned out to be good or interesting I'd definitely give it a look
    when pop culture takes a swing at you, you roll with the punches

nah but like, there's plenty that's popular that i wouldn't recommend subjecting yourself to, e.g. The Big Bang Theory or Sword Art Online, but i'm not sure why that's threatening rather than maybe slightly irritating
    my post was not really very serious

...maybe a little
    i mean i'm a little more mixed than that i guess, Disney adaptations have a way of eclipsing what came before, like they did to the entire genre of fairy stories, and are currently doing to the Marvel superhero universe

and when an adaptation is made, the original still exists, but it might plausibly change how you look at it, so i guess that's a threat in a sense

like that Peter Rabbit movie?  that kind of bothered me, if only in that i'm like, who looks at something as gentle and benign as Beatrix Potter's stories and has the impulse to assault them like that?  i just don't see what the need was for it
    props to Aliroz for coming out with a word i've never even heard of

aword

there's always one
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Jane said:

you realize that feeling "threatened" by media not being to your taste is completely ridiculous, right

The story still exists.  Entertainment has power, especially when it has millions of dollars behind it, and an audience of everybody.  Entertainment is incredibly influential on the way that people think.

"Just don't watch it" solves nothing.  
    i mean, you'll probably be happier not watching it than if you watched it

i dunno, this might just be cuz i'm a bit of a loner, but i find that if i don't watch something then generally it doesn't affect me very much, even if it's popular; like, for all i know Maleficent might be atrocious, but having never seen it i rarely have any reason to even think about it
  • edited 2018-04-28 01:23:48
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Our actions are conscious choices, reflecting the sort of world we want to live in, the sort of life we want to lead, the sort of values we hold.

Entertainment is such a massive industry, and has so much influence, that it must be held accountable.  

There is nothing, nothing, nothing I can ever do in my life that will have such an impact on the world as a single television show or book or movie, nothing that will reach as many people; and, honestly, that thought terrifies me.
    Yeah, I've had that thought too, and it is scary.
    well you could write a TV show, a book or a movie
  • My plan is to write a book that will destroy the world
    I once wanted to write a book that would change the world, but I don't think enough people read anymore for that to have any chance of happening.
  • edited 2018-04-28 01:34:42
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

well you could write a TV show, a book or a movie

I wanted to be an author when I was younger.  Actually, I've wanted to be an author for most of my life.

I no longer want to hold that kind of responsibility.  I don't want my errant whims and opinions and fantasies and worldviews to flood the world, I can hardly stand some of the opinions I had five years ago.  And, given my hatred of certain fiction, I would be a hypocrite to indulge in creating fiction.

I no longer want to have a Wikipedia article, or to have my name appear in The Library of Congress.  I want my name to only appear one more time in the newspaper, in the Obituary, preferably not within eighty years of now.

The world is like Michelangelo's David:  Something to be preserved, but not changed, and never ever touched directly, because there's no way to improve it, and a million ways to make it worse.  Can't even stand too close to it, because the very presence of people tarnishes.
    Obā-san said:

My plan is to write a book that will destroy the world

well then I guess somebody has to write the Light Prognosticus to counter it
    It's not hypocritical to write the sort of fiction you enjoy, while disliking other sorts of fiction.
  • edited 2018-04-28 01:51:15
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon, I sometimes have a hard time convincing myself that it's not hypocritical to enjoy any sort of fiction at all, while hating certain fiction.  

Actually creating a published fiction?  I don't think I could justify that to myself.
    In that case we're all hypocrites, because everyone has fiction they don't like.
    Frankly, if someone told me they liked every fiction ever made I'd have to assume they're a blithering idiot.
    "bathykolpian" is pretty good

"greedoid" is a bit beyond me i think
    "bathykolpian" is freaking awesome
  • Aliroz said:

Jane said:

you realize that feeling "threatened" by media not being to your taste is completely ridiculous, right

The story still exists.  Entertainment has power, especially when it has millions of dollars behind it, and an audience of everybody.  Entertainment is incredibly influential on the way that people think.

"Just don't watch it" solves nothing.  
    right, being deliberately misinterpreted is one of the reasons I stopped coming here.

I never said that. All I meant is that there's no point in whipping yourself into a foaming fury over every single cartoon that exists that you don't like.
    idk if it was deliberate

re:whipping yourself into a foaming fury, Anonus did say she wasn't being entirely serious
  • sure but I didn't know that when I made the comment
    fair
  • edited 2018-04-28 22:18:38
    (2015 self)
    I'm sorry, Jane.

There's a world of difference between "Not all of this is worth-getting-upset-over" and "none of this is worth-getting-upset-over", and I thought you meant the latter.

I'll try not to flip off the handle and jump to conclusions so much.