The culture of Toronto

All I know:

• Toronto is the provincial capital of Ontario so as to prevent Ottawa from having too much power and overwhelming the nation
  • Millions of years ago Toronto was the capital of the dinosaur society. This is why their NBA team is named the Raptors, in honor of Toronto's one-time importance to our forerunners as Earth's dominant species
  • The rest of Canada hates Toronto
  • It is apparently forever the 1980s in Toronto? As opposed to Vancouver, where it is the future
Feel free to correct me or add more
Tagged:

Comments

• Anonus said:

• Toronto is the provincial capital of Ontario so as to prevent Ottawa from having too much power and overwhelming the nation
    other way around actually
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Somehow I never thought about the fact that the national capital and the provincial capital are two different cities in the same province.

I suppose it still makes more sense than the US's national capital existing outside any US state.
  • also
    Anonus said:

• The rest of Canada hates Toronto
    this is true but they don't hate it nearly as much as downtown toronto and the boroughs hate each other
  • edited 2018-04-13 23:51:34
    Re Ottawa, I used to find it really weird that the national capital and the provincial capital are different cities in the same province. But in fact, the inverse of Anonus's statement (Ottawa is the capital to prevent Toronto from having too much power and overwhelming the nation) is actually surprisingly close to true. Toronto was briefly the national capital, but the ultimate choice of Ottawa (which was not a major city at the time) was basically a compromise because nobody could agree on any of the more obvious choices.

While Ottawa is strictly speaking in Ontario, it is right on the border with Quebec, so it's actually kind of the same idea as the "not part of any state" thing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Columbus, Ohio is kind of a funny one in that Columbus proper was founded specifically to be the state capital, rather than choosing any existing city...but then it expanded and ate up the existing town of Franklinton, established 15 years earlier
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    didn't they specifically create Indianapolis to be Indiana's capital too

putting it in the center of the state to boot
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Rush is from Toronto which makes it at least 40% cooler

Rush is from Toronto which makes it at least 40% cooler

ok rainbow dash
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I believe Toronto combines the best aspects of New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, except the weather. C.S. Lewis based the weather in Narnia on Toronto.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Rob Ford
    See, I almost said that, but I figured it might be in poor taste since he's dead...
  • nah he still sucks and his brother who sucks even more is probably gonna run ontario soon
    • Scott Pilgrim
    • NOW Magazine
    • Metric
    • snow in April
    • CN Tower
    • Rogers and Bell
    • CTV and the CBC
    • Honest Ed's
    • poutine
    • pizza pizza
  • I will also note that this thread reminds me a lot of this bit

There is snow in April here too

Also, Toronto has Boston Pizza
    We had snow in April here.

Let's hope it never happens again.
  • Anonus said:

There is snow in April here too

Also, Toronto has Boston Pizza
    but does boston have toronto pizza??
  • edited 2018-04-15 00:30:45
    anyway tre's list is accurate though some of it is just general canada stuff
  • edited 2018-04-15 00:55:21
    I know that Mississauga, which is near Toronto, is basically cookie-cutter modern suburbs galore.

Also there's a road called Glen Erin.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Honest Ed's is closed now. :(
  • Honest Ed's is closed now. :(

it will live on in our hearts, and those signs at bathurst subway station
  • extremely not so but maybe just a tad yes
    -extremely Albertan voice- stealin' our oil moneys!
    Heinzes said:

-extremely Albertan voice- stealin' our oil moneys!

Is it true that Edmonton is terrible
    we have some nice things, but generally? yes.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    irta the cult of toronto
  • irta The culture of Tomato
    Heinzes said:

we have some nice things, but generally? yes.

wait you live in Edmonton?
    I live in a smaller town just outside of Edmonton but I spend enough time in the city that I usually just say yes.
    what makes Edmonton terrible

like, mind you, I am basing this on being on the periphery of hockey culture and me learning that nobody wants to play for the Oilers because they don't want to live in Edmonton
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Heinzes said:

I live in a smaller town just outside of Edmonton but I spend enough time in the city that I usually just say yes.

Basically the same with me and Toronto, although Scarborough is technically a part of Toronto post-amalgamation.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Section, I still have trouble not imagining you live at a specific intersection in Delaware County, Ohio. Centie knows the one.
    I giggled. I can picture the place in my head surprisingly well.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My introduction to Toronto was, of course, in a movie where it was pretending to be NYC (and doing badly at it, seeing as how many things unique to Toronto made it into the movie).
    YYZ
  • Apparently at some point there was a maid cafe in Toronto.

Mention is made of this in the visual novel Sepia Tears, which is set in an unspecified location (presumably in North America) but whose devteam is Toronto-based.
  • edited 2019-05-24 03:05:38
    lee4hmz said:

My introduction to Toronto was, of course, in a movie where it was pretending to be NYC (and doing badly at it, seeing as how many things unique to Toronto made it into the movie).

toronto is one of hollywood's most prolific actors

Apparently at some point there was a maid cafe in Toronto.

Mention is made of this in the visual novel Sepia Tears, which is set in an unspecified location (presumably in North America) but whose devteam is Toronto-based.

that's still there afaik

and anime north is this weekend, so there will soon briefly be one in mississauga too
  • edited 2019-05-24 08:25:31
    Sepia Tears said that a maid cafe the characters wanted to go to turned out to be closed, and i looked up some online info that I think said the real-life location just no longer does maid cafe stuff.

I'm surprised that it would be viable, though maybe the population of the area makes that possible.
  • edited 2019-05-24 08:23:21
    edit: moved to another post
  • Sepia Tears said that a maid cafe the characters wanted to go to turned out to be closed, and i looked up some online info that I think said the real-life location just no longer does maid cafe stuff.

I'm surprised that it would be viable, though maybe the population of the area makes that possible.

Maybe not the one I'm thinking of. Uncle Tetsu's Japanese Angel Café seems to still be open.

Possibly it managed to work because it was opened after people already went nuts over Uncle Tetsu's food in non maid cafe settings.

There were a couple cat cafes too but they did all close down.
  • That's the one I found.

Perhaps I am mistaken.