"adult" cartoons are generally hideous

Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Because they're trying too hard to be "Not for kids, yo!" I suspect.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it might be for the best, signalling that they will not appeal to children

maybe worth considering that this seems to be a specifically American trend?  doesn't seem to be the case in anime
  • edited 2018-04-15 17:16:11
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    In the case of The Simpsons and Beavis & Butthead, which are the cartoons that started that trend, I think it was meant as a rejection of the Disney Illusion of Life mentality, which is something that I can honestly fully empathize with. I’m pretty over the idea that cartoons desiring to look realistic is a bad thing, especially in the wake of recent events.

However, I feel like those shows went a bit too far in rejecting all tooniness, when artful exaggeration is something that could’ve fit in with their desire to do realistic-looking cartoons that didn’t rely on Illusion of Life cliches.

Adult shows since then seem to have missed the point of why those shows looked the way they did, and just doubled down on the lack of exaggeration with the designs while getting more fanciful with the storytelling. It leads to an unfortunate “worst of both worlds” combination, at least for me.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Tachyon said:

it might be for the best, signalling that they will not appeal to children

Ironically, just from my own experience with The Simpsons and Ren & Stimpy as a youngster, I don't think deliberately ugly animation does that good a job discouraging children from watching.
    probably not

it would have discouraged kid!tachyon, who found both those series visually offputting
    the simpsons less so, admittedly
  • edited 2018-04-15 17:47:00
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It definitely discouraged me as a wee chick, R&S in particular just made me plainly uncomfortable. But yeah I definitely remember all sorts of folks my age caring for one or both of'em.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I loved The Simpsons as a kid, but I was introduced to it early on, when it was still The Bart Show, so as a little "boy" I of course was into such things
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i think for the simpsons that's just how matt groening draws and has since it was a comic about bunny rabbits
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    the simpsons' look had a very real "indie" vibe about it

also i still think the ullman shorts are real kinetic: