Nobody likes Bart Simpson anymore

feels like it
Tagged:

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The heyday of The Simpsons has long since come and gone, I feel.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

The heyday of The Simpsons has long since come and gone, I feel.

you and the rest of the world
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    imo

Bart Simpson (and Homer, and to a lesser extent the rest of the cast and the show itself) represented a specific rebellion against the culture of its time, which served to capture the popular imagination very quickly but in doing so rendered itself (almost immediately) dated and (ultimately) obsolete
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    brackets
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Bart Simpsons is pretty Tom Sawyer-y, a thing that has not been remarked on enough
    Odradek said:

Bart Simpsons is pretty Tom Sawyer-y, a thing that has not been remarked on enough

ooh?
    He's a rebellious and mischevious young boy who lives on disrupting the world around him for his own ends.
    You might say he's...

...today's Tom Sawyer
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aren't you supposed to play Missile Command while you listen to that song? #GoodOl2000sReferences
  • DEAR RAT BOY

• edited 2018-04-12 23:28:52
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

You might say he's...

...today's Tom Sawyer
    He’s this century's Dennis The Menace. :P
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    he gets high on you!

Personally, I am an old enough cow to remember when Bart was THE pop culture personality everyone talked about. And then, a little later, people realized that Homer was actually the funny one.
    it is something how like Bart has basically been retconned out of the narrative of the show's history
    like we don't often discuss just how audacious the early '90s were
    "Audacious" is one way of putting it, I suppose
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Obnoxious" is another

"Obnoxious" is another

oh they were but there was a lot of audacity too
  • Simpsons is rebellious but ultimately grounded in humanity and optimism.  Just to remind everyone, the Simpsons' competition after the early 90s was South Park and Family Guy, so it's no wonder they lost the edgy angle (and IMO, no real loss).
    There was a strain of very '90s, smart-assed H-B alumni

Seth MacFarlane, Maxwell Atoms...