Rocky and Bullwinkle are getting their SECOND-EVER series...

...and I can't help but wonder

Would a revival be as wild and crazy and audacious as the original? How the hell would they not have any back-up segments or "Mr. Know-it-All" or Bullwinkle's Corner or anything?

I almost feel like the show was a bit too hot for modern-day Corporate America. People are surprised to learn they were hawking General Mills cereals now! I dunno, I can't help but think that Moose and Squirrel are perfectly suited to a time when we have a swindling reality TV star for president, but also, as the property of Comcast (effectively), would the anti-authority spirit of the show really still seem true?

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Wait, this is only their second series ever? Wow.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    There was a movie a bunch of years ago
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    vtk said:

There was a movie a bunch of years ago

the movie that put them on ice for eighteen years
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Weren't they already on ice for twenty years before that?
    their ownership situation was unclear for much of their history, until the 1990s, when Tiffany Ward set about securing full rights to the Jay Ward characters, making them 100% Jay Ward Productions's property

the 2000 movie was an infamous failure that more or less killed the property for years

• Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for you, I can't find the a version that's randomly modified under the influence of goof gas.
    weren't they on goof gas when they made that
    The other day I played the Sega Genesis Rocky & Bullwinkle game.

For about thirty seconds.
  • oh here's a video that demonstrates the effect of goof gas on the soundtrack

the video calls it a glitch but i'm pretty sure it was intentional

how many good cartoon-based 8- and 16-bit games are there
    A surprising number of Disney games from that period are decent - Duck Tales, Castle of Illusion, Aladdin are a few that spring to mind.

Other than that....not much
  • edited 2018-04-13 04:06:59
    Anonus said:

how many good cartoon-based 8- and 16-bit games are there
    Felix the Cat and DuckTales, both for NES.  (Felix the Cat also has a GB version which isn't as great)

the Sailor Moon beat-em-ups have a reasonable following, as does the Sailor Moon RPG "Another Story".  i've only played the latter, and it's sorta mediocre but reasonably enjoyable.

Magic Knight Rayearth also has SNES and Saturn adaptations; the SNES adaptation is good, though could be improved.

people are kinda fond of one of the 16-bit Aladdin games, IIRC.  also of The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.

I've played Home Alone for SNES but I wouldn't call that a particularly good game.

I think Alien 3 for SNES is an okay metroidvania-type game.  there are also other Alien games but i think they're fighting games and i haven't played them

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (SNES) is reasonably well-regarded -- the gameplay is a solid beat-em-up experience.  also has extremely good music (but Iku Mizutani was involved so of course it's good).  (he also wrote music for Power Rangers Time Force for GBC so now i should play that)
  • also there are several decent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games

Fall of the Foot Clan is a decent GB game
    Radical Rescue is a GB metroidvania, and apparently pretty interesting
    and of course there's the arcade classic Turtles in Time
    Home Alone isn't a cartoon, though
    and neither is Alien
    isn't there a fun tiny toons game, and animaniacs
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Animaniacs is the only game I know of to directly mention Marshall McLuhan
    oh, I remember playing Buster Busts Loose for the SNES. That was pretty good