"TV sucked until The Sopranos happened"

Is it me or is this like the prevailing opinion/narrative now

Comments

• I have not seen any opinion like that anywhere whatsoever. o.o
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Me neither.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    TV still sucks. <-- obligatory Imicomment
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    w-what
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    TitleName said:

I have not seen any opinion like that anywhere whatsoever. o.o

• You're doing that thing again where you make up a weird opinion you don't like then assume everyone else thinks it.
  • TitleName said:

I have not seen any opinion like that anywhere whatsoever. o.o

• i definitely saw, like, not this exact opinion, but for a while around when Breaking Bad was a thing there was this idea amongst some like... idk, people who wrote magazine articles, that that sort of Prestige Television was a sort of great new leap into television becoming True Art
  • there were definitely multiple (Esquire?) articles that were like TV is real art now, people who dont watch TV now that it's Actually Good are dumbasses, lol
  • I mean that in a broader sense I've seen, just never with The Sopranos specifically.

also Northernlion--bless his egglike head--has said that we live in the golden age of television. But also he's a youtuber, not like, anyone important.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    are you reading opinion columns in showbiz magazines and mistaking that for general public opinion?
  • Jane said:

I mean that in a broader sense I've seen, just never with The Sopranos specifically.

also Northernlion--bless his egglike head--has said that we live in the golden age of television. But also he's a youtuber, not like, anyone important.
    generally The Sopranos is seen as the specific start of that sort of, paradigm of TV from what ive seen, so it's implicit in that sort of broader statement i think
  • so i definitely think that this isnt anonus being weird, though i will mention that i havent seen this opinion in... years?
    yeah i think i misunderstood Anonus' post as referring to a wider group of people than was probably meant

i doubt this is a widely held public opinion but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case among the sorts of people who care a lot about TV and write columns about it, say
  • edited 2018-03-23 04:10:35
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    FWIW, I've definitely seen that opinion myself as well, even if I do agree that he might be applying it a bit too broadly.
  • edited 2018-03-23 22:55:55
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The opinion in question seems to be the prevailing opinion at my university, and it's a very popular opinion among my coworkers (if you replace The Sopranos with The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or Game of Thrones, then you've got basically everyone at my school and my work who doesn't think that it was The Sopranos that made television not stink anymore).
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Obā-san said:

So the question is

Was "Maurice" just a random dude who happened to look and sound exactly like Little Richard?

Or

Was "Maurice" actually Little Richard, who for some reason chooses to spend his time working at beachfront burger shacks?
    Aliroz said:

The opinion in question seems to be the prevailing opinion at my university, and it's a very popular opinion among my coworkers (if you replace The Sopranos with The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or Game of Thrones, then you've got basically everyone at my school and my work who doesn't think that it was The Sopranos that made television not stink anymore).

The High Quality American Drama genre.
  • edited 2018-03-24 16:45:13
    Aliroz said:

I haven't seen The Sopranos put on a pedestal like this, but I've certainly seen this idolizing of other shows. For example, anime fans using these shows as gold standards of serious western TV.