So wait...

I think Super Mario Odyssey is a lot of fun and brings back some of that good old-fashioned Mario worldbuilding but

Are we seriously acting like going back to the turn-of-the-millennium collectathon format is somehow better than Mario Galaxy's mind-expanding 3D platforming?
Tagged:

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Yes, I personally, think that going back to the whatever is somehow better than the whosit
  • kill living beings
    mario galaxy had a second player whose job was entirely to collect things
  • edited 2018-03-19 23:32:43
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

Yes, I personally, think that going back to the whatever is somehow better than the whosit

maybe I was being a bit harsh

I mean I did play 3D Land and enjoy it a lot even if it brought back some of the 2D shackles (timer, the power-ups doubling as hit points, lava being instant death) but I sat out 3D World along with the rest of the Wii U offerings

They were both products of this period when the franchise felt increasingly content with reveling in nostalgia, and Odyssey bucked that trend
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Super Mario World 4ever
  • We can have both good new games and good old games. :v
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I personally think Mario 64 is the best. Am I weird?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    No

It's a perfectly fun game but I feel like it was a stepping stone towards better things

Not to say it doesn't still stand on its own merits
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i mean, personally, Galaxy was the point where the series slightly lost me

i keep wanting to come back to that one, i mean to complete it some day, but it just didn't hook me the way 64 did, and i never got into Galaxy 2, 3D Land or 3D World

whereas Odyssey made me obsess over the series all over again.  what can i say, it was N64 platformer-collectathons that made me a gamer in the first place
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Super Mario Galaxy S7 Edge
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Super Mario Galaxy S7 Edge

• BeeBee
    edited 2018-03-20 22:03:40
    I thought it was a refreshing take.  If nothing else, we haven't had a lot of good collectathon games since DK64 murdered them dead for almost 20 years.

Also you become meat.  How many games does this happen in?
    Super Meat Boy
    in psychonauts your mind (but not your brain) gets turned into meat, does that count?
    incidentally i was thinking about the collectathon genre the other day

it's sort of interesting how it developed after DK64, it didn't immediately vanish but it became quite heavily modified

Rayman 3 is a case in point, pick-ups give you points, and the point value isn't fixed but is determined by whatever combo you have on the go.  points also aren't necessary to access new areas so their only purpose is replay value for if you want an extra challenge

it's sort of interesting to see how Rare themselves downplayed the collection aspect after DK64.  in Banjo-Tooie, instead of building up a note score which resets when you leave a world, you now only have to obtain 'note nests', which are functionally a sort of currency you use to buy new techniques and come in denominations of 5 and 20.  There are only 17 of these in each world and they are not well hidden, and the core gameplay is more about open world exploration, puzzles and minigames.

Conker's BFD superficially resembles a collectathon but isn't one.  You need to obtain 'money', but the money is never spent, and can only be obtained in sequence.  so it's actually nothing more than a numeric value indicating how far you have gotten into the game, and the game is actually a linear sequence of puzzles and fights.
    and rude jokes
    alright, that was the real point in that game