R.I.P. Toys "R" Us 1948–2018

They are closing all their US and UK stores.

I think I might take my siblings there tomorrow for one last day of window-shopping...

Comments

• edited 2018-03-14 23:00:58
    kill living beings
    Toys "Я" Us
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Toys R* Us was like a magical place to me when I was a lil calf. It was also the first place where I played Sonic the Hedgehog <---important moment.

So yes, quite sad.

*pretend the R is backwards
  • Wait, really?

I bought my Pokémon games there.  Also my Mega Man toys.  Also my Voltron toys.

This is a sad development.
  • It looks like it's not going out of business in Canada, but it's still a weird thought. I too got my first video games there. I also have fond memories of buying bionicles and putting em together in the in-store restaurant.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have many a fond memory of Toys-R-Us, some relating to video games but others relating to more Centie-ish things, like toy cars.

They will be missed.
  • I think the only think I ever bought there was Pokemon Pinball.  WAAAAY back when.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I think I bought some K'NEX sets there. But the building that used to be a Toys "Я" Us that we went to, across the street from Westland, hasn't been a Toys "Я" Us since Westland was still a somewhat healthy mall.
  • Oh God K'Nex.  My childhood.
  • edited 2018-03-15 19:39:23
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I bought Link's Awakening DX from there, a long time ago, in the mists of time. Also my PS1, PS2, Saturn, and Wii. (Well, parents did, obviously, since small children do not commonly carry hundreds of pounds in cash.)
  • edited 2018-03-15 19:44:55
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Share your Toys-R-Us pics, if you've got any. Here's the outlet store at Ontario Mills shopping mall in California, back in July of 2017.

I bought Anonus a Tails plushie here...
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I don't recall ever buying anything there - I could be mistaken though, of course - but I did always enjoy its presence in my life. I think I bought some K'Nex?
  • edited 2018-03-15 19:50:15
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    imageDon't have any pictures of my own, since it's like, 10 miles away, but here's the storefront.
  • Wait, really?

I bought my Pokémon games there.  Also my Mega Man toys.  Also my Voltron toys.

This is a sad development.

But not exactly a new development, keep up nüb
  • I should go visit the store in Pembroke Pines soon.
  • you should do that glenn. you should visit the store in Scenic Pembroke Pines soon. you should bring a gift with you as you do so, as said store doesn't have much time left. you should take your time, make sure to ease into it as it will not be easy. you shouldn't cry - heaven knows she wouldn't want to see you cry - but you musn't try and convince yourself that you aren't heartbroken. in her final moments, you should take her into your arms, gently yet firmly, like holding a scared puppy or a piece of fine china, and let that Toys "Я" Us location in Beautiful Pembroke Pines know that you will never forget her, that even should she be demolished and replaced with five Starbucks and a Target, that she will always take up prime real estate in your heart.

don't let her down glenn
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You just wait, Middie, some special, starlit night - oh fuck it I wouldn't be surprised if five Starbucks took up residence in the vacated storefront
  • they're wiley beasts, those Starbucks, just popping up wherever they please, sustaining themselves on the entrails of their predecessors. wiley indeed.
  • edited 2018-03-16 08:27:40
    (actually that wasn't really a reply to you but whatever)
  • edited 2018-03-16 08:33:17
    and then Godiva became a Parodius/Cuphead boss
  • i'm not sure why you're going on with this

but meanwhile i'm not sure why i'm listening to a nightcore pitchup of Brother Louie either
  • edited 2018-03-16 08:51:12
    ahh this version is better than the nightcore version

https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=133617
  • understanding is overrated
  • understanding is overrated

but is overstanding underrated?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Meanwhile, back in Slightly Less Crazy Town, here are some pictures I snapped at the nearby Toys-R-Us with my siblings last night.

...I'm going to miss having this place 5 minutes from my house.

I have one really close to me too

I should probably go in there once, just for old times' sake
    I saw people on Twitter complaining that Toys-R-Us is a "lackluster" shopping experience and I'm like...compared to what, exactly?

Because I find it difficult to believe that anyone would find shopping for toys at a general merchandise store like Wal-Mart or Target to be preferable to the Toys-R-Us experience in most cases, somehow...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    compared to the old fashioned high street toy stores they displaced w/ their massive one stop out of town warehouses i guess?

i remember toy-r-us seeming pretty awesome when i was a kid, definitely better than supermarkets
    Ok, yeah, small independent toy stores were always way cooler. But, like...I haven't seen one of those in ages...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    also im laughing at that sign that just says 'tween' on the hello kitty display, that's incredible

that's art right there
    He died at the same time as his creation.
    There's something cruelly ironic about that.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    oh jeez :(

also, we were on the way to the restaurant to take my stepdad to his birthday dinner, and we passed the Toys R Us at Potomac Mills and it had "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" signs up.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    lee4hmz said:

also, we were on the way to the restaurant to take my stepdad to his birthday dinner, and we passed the Toys R Us at Potomac Mills and it had "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" signs up.
    You planning on/able to go there?
    I might go into the one nearest me tomorrow.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

lee4hmz said:

You planning on/able to go there?
    If I remember to, I may stop by tomorrow/later today.
    A bit off-topic but...it just occurred to me that my truck driver persona's full name, Lancaster Mills, could easily be the name of a shoppin mall.

In any event, I don't know if/when (likely when) the Toys-R-Us nearest me is going to start its closing sales, but I plan to go there when they do...
    My understanding is that all Toys-R-Uses were supposed to start their final sales yesterday.

Anyhoo, I just went to one and it was hella crowded, otherwise looked like the pics CA posted.

As I left, I had a twinge of melancholy thinking that this was the last time I would ever visit a Toys-R-Us store. This is one of those "timey" things that gets to you, if you're me.
    When I have access to a car again I'll check out the one nearest me again.
    better hope it's soon :o
    It's over...Today is the final closing day for Toys-R-Us's US stores.
    The one nearest me already closed up as of two days ago.
    Individual stores have been closing as they've run out of stuff to sell, but today was the big deadline for any remaining stores, including the one nearest me.
    alas
  • We can do anything if we do it together.