I've taken at least 4 classes now that have had me use Ohm's law

I'm not even an electrical engineering major!

Thankfully, "V = I R" is pretty easy to remember.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    explain Ohm's law in 500 words or fewer
  • I've taken, uh, two I think. One in high school and one in undergrad.
  • My supervisor might try to convince you that my research has something to do with Ohm's law though.
  • kill living beings
    ohm's law: things behave almost linearly sometimes within certain ranges
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Ohm sweet ohm
    Ohmtown
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Ohmslaw.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Ohmygod
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Derived from Ohm's Law, power expended by applying voltage V across element with resistance R is equal to V²/R.

Derived from calculus, lateral acceleration of a vehicle at speed v driving around a curve of radius r is equal to v²/r.

Coincidence?
  • and if you divide voltage squared by radius for no reason you get V²/r
  • kill living beings
    confirmed
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Ohmslaw.

do not eat resistors Alice

actually wait you may be okay because you're a robutt
    what's a robutt
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    it's how walter cronkite pronounces robot
  • Calica said:

Ohmslaw.

do not eat resistors Alice

actually wait you may be okay because you're a robutt
    There's a point in the Ruby-Spears Mega Man cartoon where robot football players who attend a robot university are in a cafeteria eating food.

I've always wondered what food they ate, and how that food was processed in their systems.  Did they, like, have digestive tracts that took apart electronic components and recycled them into usable parts that they then attached to themselves internally?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-03-09 08:18:12
    You're trying to assign a depth of thought that Ruby-Spears did not have.  Like, they didn't even ask any 10 year old who'd played a few games in the series to realize a key main character wasn't a villain.  I don't think you're going to make much sense of their robot ecology.

Although it would be funny if all the robots had a Mr. Fusion stomach.
  • edited 2018-03-09 08:25:45
    meanwhile, robot de-evolution into a slow caveman robot with a poor grasp of English grammar and also extra long hair and coming down the sides of one's face which becomes wrinklier

also disables arm cannon
    however, there is a strength bonus
  • strangely, i somehow never actually saw the "Curse of the Lion Men" episode
  • kill living beings
    Renko eats a resistor
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i have never needed ohm's law for anything
  • kill living beings
    maybe you should start taking classes about driving really fast around curves
    i mean the theory part would be ok, i just don't think i could handle the practical
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The hard part is understanding what voltage and current are. Ohm's law just relates the two.
  • current = the rate at which charged particles are flowing
    voltage = how hard they want to flow
  • sadly, "DANGER! DANGER! ...HIGH CURRENT!" just doesn't have the same ring to it, despite being deadlier
    no the hard part is maintaining control of the vehicle while continuing to accelerate
  • Tachyon said:

no the hard part is maintaining control of the vehicle while continuing to accelerate

bring your legendary pokémon
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Unfortunately, a car is not the sun, so Solgaleo has no effect.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion

sadly, "DANGER! DANGER! ...HIGH CURRENT!" just doesn't have the same ring to it, despite being deadlier

Well, sure, but the danger isn't because of the high current that's already flowing through the system. The danger is because of the potential for high current passing through your body if you are in the wrong place. Notice I said "potential"; that's basically what voltage is. If the voltage were a lot lower, or the resistance in your body a lot higher, the current passing through you would be a lot lower and maybe non-lethal, and that's a direct result of ohm's law. You could theoretically make electrical transmission lines and substations much safer by using a lower voltage, but then you'd have to carry huge currents to deliver the same power. And then you'd need signs like "WARNING HIGH MAGNETISM - PACEMAKERS MAY BE AFFECTED" or "DANGER - LIQUID HELIUM - VERY COLD".
    One interesting thing I noticed a while back. You know those cheap LED flashlights you can get at pretty much any store?

They're actually designed to use the metal housing as a conductor. If you have one, try this: unscrew the end and stick your finger on the bottom contact of the battery holder while also touching the exterior of the flashlight. A tiny bit of current will flow through you and the LEDs will illuminate extremely dimly.

Of course, since the voltage is so low, and the resistance of your body is so high, the current flowing through you is so low that you can't even feel it, let alone be harmed by it, but it's amusing to test.