Bert and Ernie

It's a long-running tradition to joke about Bert and Ernie being a gay couple but, like...as a kid, I actually believed that, before I even knew what "gay" meant.

Like, they act like a couple, they clearly care deeply about each other, and they even sleep in separate beds in the same room like married couples did on '50s and '60s TV shows.

Why wouldn't 5-year-old Centie assume they were a couple?

Comments

• extremely not so but maybe just a tad yes
    iconic.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh same.
  • I definitely always assumed that they were brothers
  • Yeah I just assumed they were brothers.  Like, this.

This is a brother moment.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i thought they were just really close friends

the couple interpretation is cute, though
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I assumed brothers because of how passively annoyed Bert tended to be with Ernie
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tachyon said:

i thought they were just really close friends

the couple interpretation is cute, though

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i have gotten plenty passively annoyed with flatmates before

though with retrospect yes them being brothers would make sense
  • edited 2018-03-01 00:23:47
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Brothers makes a lot of sense, but man, it's ambiguous.

Also I definitely thought they were a couple before I even understood what romance was really, and I scarcely watched Sesame Street.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember being really confused as a child when I realized that the love songs I heard on the radio were always either a man singing to a woman or a woman singing to a man. Where were the men who loved men? Where were the women who loved women?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't even know that I had a concept of "romance" at that point in my childhood, but I understood that love was meant to be universal.
  • i was always bothered by the number of songs there were about love, to the point where i grew to hate them
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I didn't know homosexuality existed until I was, like, maybe 12 or so
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Brothers makes a lot of sense, but man, it's ambiguous.

Also I definitely thought they were a couple before I even understood what romance was really, and I scarcely watched Sesame Street.

Mood.
  • edited 2018-03-01 03:42:32
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    They were always brothers to me.  I mean, siblings sleep in the same room, and, when they're very young, in the same bed.

I didn't know what "roomates" were until I was, like, ten.  I just assumed that people lived in houses, and that people live with their families.

I watched a lot of Sesame Street as a kid, and the idea of them being anything but brothers never crossed my mind.