Is the MCU truly the dominant force in pop culture?

I'm not even sure I know what pop culture is these days

The government I guess?

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think Twitter is more of a dominant force in pop culture.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I think Twitter is more of a dominant force in pop culture.

My idea of pop culture is informed by Twitter anyway
    The MCU is certainly ubiquitous in the same way that most vast studio system film clusters are, but I dunno, I don't think people really care that much about them? Like, in terms of deep emotional investment. Doctor Who feels like it still has more dedicated fans, and the hype for that died in America years ago as everyone realised that Stephen Moffat was Doing That Thing He Does.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It sucks shit

Cecil b demented was right
    Deadpool and Logan look fine. Hell, the nth Spiderman reboot looks fine, although they squandered their good will on that one years ago. But most of the films in that... whatever strike me as fairly bland and tiresome.

The MCU is certainly ubiquitous in the same way that most vast studio system film clusters are, but I dunno, I don't think people really care that much about them? Like, in terms of deep emotional investment. Doctor Who feels like it still has more dedicated fans, and the hype for that died in America years ago as everyone realised that Stephen Moffat was Doing That Thing He Does.

yeah people kinda quit caring about Who after, like, series 6? maybe if chibnall turns out to be more people's speed...

Deadpool and Logan look fine. Hell, the nth Spiderman reboot looks fine, although they squandered their good will on that one years ago. But most of the films in that... whatever strike me as fairly bland and tiresome.

Deadpool and Logan are Fox products

All prior Spidey flicks were made by Sony

Section says Homecoming was pretty bland though
    I don't know, I guess I was under the impression that the MCU was beloved

Like, I've seen people wear hats and stuff that just have a big MARVEL logo on them
  • edited 2018-02-09 22:42:39
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Huh. So these are all part of the portion of Marvel which Disney doesn't have the movie rights to? Odd.

^ Comic book nerds don't count. Also it's not like they have zero fans. But they have fans in the way most big action series have fans, I think.
    how so
    Anonus said:

how so

I just can't think of that many hardcore MCU people who weren't already hardcore Marvel Comics people. I can think of plenty of casual fans of these films, but the fanatics are all people who were already super into that oeuvre.

In that mould, are there really that many diehard Die Hard fans? There were crazy Pacific Rim fans, but a lot of those were already deep into mecha and kaiju films. And so on.

Anonus said:

how so

I just can't think of that many hardcore MCU people who weren't already hardcore Marvel Comics people. I can think of plenty of casual fans of these films, but the fanatics are all people who were already super into that oeuvre.

In that mould, are there really that many diehard Die Hard fans? There were crazy Pacific Rim fans, but a lot of those were already deep into mecha and kaiju films. And so on.
    Jake from Brooklyn 99
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

yeah people kinda quit caring about Who after, like, series 6? maybe if chibnall turns out to be more people's speed...

Deadpool and Logan are Fox products

All prior Spidey flicks were made by Sony

Section says Homecoming was pretty bland though
    I liked Michael Keaton.
    I liked Birdman, but have been told I am incorrect and am a shallow and bad person for that, so
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Whoever tells you that is telling you nonsense.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Pop culture is more fragmented than it has ever been
    yup
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    and that is a good thing, honestly
  • star driver should be the dominant force in pop culture
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Yeah I'm honestly not sure pop culture truly exists any more in the way it used to. There are many things that are overall fairly popular (MCU included) and that you can expect the average person to both 1) be aware of and 2) probably enjoy, but there's not some huge overarching societal love. There are some people who get super into it and do really love it, and some people just enjoy wearing shirts or hats with media they casually like. 

I don't think anything "dominates" pop culture any more.
    i thought there was, like, societal love for game of thrones but i guess not?
  • Anonus said:

i thought there was, like, societal love for game of thrones but i guess not?

what does that even mean
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Everybody everywhere loves it and regards it as an integral part of our culture.

Which, no.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    at this point I think GoT's cultural moment has mostly passed, and the showrunners want to move onto other things
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    it was more a thing several years ago when it was winning boatloads of Emmys
  • edited 2018-02-13 03:36:07
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know, I'd really love to see horse racing come back as a big pastime and cultural force.  I mean, Seabiscuit's last race drew a crowd of 78,000, which is just a tiny bit bigger than the average crowd at the Super Bowl.

American Pharoah ended a 37-year-Triple-Crown-drought and nobody cared because 2015.