Tide Pods

People don't often acknowledge that Procter & Gamble carried the idea over from the similar Cascade pods:

Comments

• kill living beings
    did they not patent the concept
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this is a national tragedy
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

did they not patent the concept

P&G makes Cascade silly
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    This is obviously a case of Hydrox vs Oreo, wherein Tide perfected the wonderful threefold flavor of their snack pods. Cascade may have been first, but I'd certainly never pack such an inferior product in my child's lunch box.
    "harmful if swallowed or put in mouth"

I wouldn't put that in my kid's lunch box either.
  • extremely not so but maybe just a tad yes

This is obviously a case of Hydrox vs Oreo, wherein Tide perfected the wonderful threefold flavor of their snack pods. Cascade may have been first, but I'd certainly never pack such an inferior product in my child's lunch box.

This. Be good to your children, don't skimp on the snack budget.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It will never stop being weird how Millennials joked about wanting to eat the colorful laundry detergent, then Gen Z said "whoa you're right" and actually freakin' ate them.
    Seeing as how I'm basically allergic to laundry detergent that isn't hypoallergenic and my mom insists on buying big jugs of detergent, I lack experience with laundry pods (though I did have some All pods once) - but not the dishwasher pods on which they were patterned

So we've never had Tide Pods around
  • edited 2018-02-06 16:44:04
    I use this kind of laundry pods, which I guess look a bit less candy like. Though I'm sure someone out there thinks they look tasty too.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My mom insists on buying laundry detergent in pod form because it's easier to ration. When she bought the liquid stuff my brother would just pour a bunch into the machine at once, but with the pods he understands that two is all you need. Of course, now I live with my grandmother, who buys liquid laundry detergent.

My parents use powdered soap for their dishwasher, because it's cheaper than the pods. And, of course, Grandma and I don't have a dishwasher, so...
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    tidopodes
    One of the things I meant to say is that why would anybody want to eat this shit

Do these people not have any sense of smell?
    I usually prefer pods for the convenience, but also usually buy liquid for the price point. Might switch back to pods after I run down this jug of detergent?
    Anonus said:

One of the things I meant to say is that why would anybody want to eat this shit

It's like durians, Anonus. They smell rank but I've heard they don't taste bad? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    duriopodes
    Heinzes said:

Anonus said:

It's like durians, Anonus. They smell rank but I've heard they don't taste bad? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'VE TASTED SOAP AND IT'S GROSS
  • edited 2018-02-06 20:51:47

durians taste like soap too
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-02-06 21:30:19
    I'm still dumbfounded that this is a thing.  Sure, let's take this concentrated, crystallized detergent that works by aggressively corroding shit out of cloth, and put it in our mouths!

On a more abstract level, it just kind of makes me wonder how different it must be to grow up with the modern Internet compared to the Internet that we grew up with.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    SF_Sorrow said:

durians taste like soap too

LIES.

They taste more like banana custard with a touch of garlic, at least when put in pastries.
  • I've tried durian dim sum several times and I think my description is not completely inaccurate
    mayhaps i got my wires crossed or was misremembering something i heard :^|

in all seriousness, do not snack on the Tide pods, childrens :^|
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    https://derpibooru.org/1648912

It's a fidget spinner pony, eating a pizza topped with pineapple and Tide pods, and drinking Mountain Dew out of a wine bottle.
  • I didn't even click that link and that description alone made me wish for death.
  • Bee said:

I'm still dumbfounded that this is a thing.  Sure, let's take this concentrated, crystallized detergent that works by aggressively corroding shit out of cloth, and put it in our mouths!

People being stupid, what else is news.
  • edited 2018-02-07 14:40:22
    Anonus said:

• I mean I can see very young children doing it.  That makes sense and is incredibly tragic.  But apparently those numbers have actually been going down.  The surge is all from people old enough to presumably spell and define the phrase "this is poison you fucking asswaffle moron".

Like, half of me wants to be a compassionate adult about this.  But the other half just says, like, fuck it, if you're a teenager willing to eat detergent on a dare you pretty much deserve everything that happens, everyone in your immediate and probably secondary social circle should really be wondering where they went wrong in your development, and everyone outside it gets a case study in natural selection.  Good lord.
    maybe Idiocracy was right
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I remember hearing the majority of tide pod consumption is still actually from people old enough their minds are going
  • Viani said:

All the people eating Tide Pods, and surviving, are going to be voting in the next election.

I think the current generation has already made a point about intellectually challenged individuals and voting
    Calica said:

I remember hearing the majority of tide pod consumption is still actually from people old enough their minds are going

This—and the small children who don't know any better—is the main reason I would say "maybe P&G should stop making their detergent packs look like candy."

But if I dare say that on social media, I'll get 6 million replies of "NO PEOPLE ARE JUST STUPID, YOU SHOULDN'T KOWTOW TO IDIOTS LIKE THAT"
    lmao, people are actually gonna get up in arms because their fucking laundry detergent doesn't look tasty.

#justlatecapitalismthings
    Heinzes said:

lmao, people are actually gonna get up in arms because their fucking laundry detergent doesn't look tasty.

It already doesn't!

It looks like some misbegotten corporate symbol from 2005! Like the kind of thing some scandal-plagued firm would switch to along with some new made-up word for a name!

(I love to make up words and use them as names but that's different)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    MetaFour said:

https://derpibooru.org/1648912

It's a fidget spinner pony, eating a pizza topped with pineapple and Tide pods, and drinking Mountain Dew out of a wine bottle.
    fuckingincredible.jpg
    Anonus said:

Heinzes said:

It already doesn't!

It looks like some misbegotten corporate symbol from 2005! Like the kind of thing some scandal-plagued firm would switch to along with some new made-up word for a name!

(I love to make up words and use them as names but that's different)
    no disagreement at all, I was just goofing on the people who claim it's some kind of instinctual thing to find these detergent pods attractive or appetizing, and that many of these same people will get snippy at it not being so.
  • edited 2018-02-09 06:33:00
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ???

jesus

mind you i have never seen a tide pod in person but like

i don't know?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Calica said:

This—and the small children who don't know any better—is the main reason I would say "maybe P&G should stop making their detergent packs look like candy."

But if I dare say that on social media, I'll get 6 million replies of "NO PEOPLE ARE JUST STUPID, YOU SHOULDN'T KOWTOW TO IDIOTS LIKE THAT"
    To be fair, it is kinda dumb to regulate the appearance of Tide Pods in a time when we all just vOv about gun violence.
  • kill living beings
    anyone know someone who ate a tide pod

could like, ask, what their motivation was
    I mean Tide Pods *are* pleasantly squishy. I kind of like to roll them around in my hand before I pop 'em in the washer.

I have never actually felt a desire to put it in my mouth though.
  • kill living beings
    am also curious whether it's actually appreciably raised poisoning rates, or if this is a moral panic deal. the American Association of Poison Control Centers which exists because those are private companies who knew does seem concerned about them, except they're uh, weird

Check out our press release regarding #laundry packets here: http://www.aapcc.org/press/83/
    Memes have referred to it as "forbidden fruit". Remember Adam and Eve suffered serious consequences. You can too.
    Call 1-800-222-1222 or text POISON to 797979 to save the number in your phone.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I actually know the person making the olfactory cues argument in that Tumblr thing Criminalscum posted. They're good people.
    I went to Dollar General today and found...they're now keeping their Tide Pods in a locked display case.

is that the one we were at in December?
    Yes.
  • Being locked up because they're being stolen

these measures were taken to help prevent theft, and were unrelated to more recent reports of misuse of the products..

• I can totally see the kind of teenage morons who'd eat the damn things stealing them too, tbh