what the fuck is a "power level"

like in dbz it's an actual number but people use the term for other things and it's extremely vague

Comments

• just like, how powerful a character is in relation to other characters

you haven't lived until you've seen a Touhou power level argument
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Which is silly, because everyone knows the most powerful Touhou is Kikuri.
  • edited 2018-02-08 17:50:34
    Now we discuss classic cartoon power levels and get into dumb argumentsiz about who can beat who in a fight. :p
  • the level of power you have
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus said:

like in dbz it's an actual number but people use the term for other things and it's extremely vague

"Power level" is a term used elsewhere for nerdy arguments about which character would win in a fight

Also nazis use "hiding your power level" to mean "pretending to be less far-right than you are" because everything sucks and is awful
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I thought "hiding your power level" meant pretending not to be a nerd?
  • edited 2018-02-08 17:55:07
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's both, or kinda could be anyway, although that definition has fallen out more and more in favor of Odra's definition for uh obvious reasons.
  • kill living beings
    even DBZ gives up on the concept pretty fast
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    how big your tittys are
  • edited 2018-02-08 18:05:02
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

how big your tittys are

As proven by the fact that the most powerful Fate characters don't have any.
    you got the equation wrong there
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Smashes down the wall and into the room

Did somebody

Mention

SABER?????
  • Anonus said:

it was pretending to not be a weeb, then weeb nazis started using it to mean pretending to not be a nazi also
  • kill living beings
    there are enough sabers that their power levels vary

by which i mean their
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

how big your tittys are

don't be silly, that's talent
    same difference
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Anonus said:

it was pretending to not be a weeb, then weeb nazis started using it to mean pretending to not be a nazi also

Yeah, that. It can be applied to other forms of niche nerdiness but it comes from anime and manga fandom and was turned into something more sinister by the most unsavoury elements of that fandom.
  • Only god and one other person know my power level
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

Anonus said:

Yeah, that. It can be applied to other forms of niche nerdiness but it comes from anime and manga fandom and was turned into something more sinister by the most unsavoury elements of that fandom.
    4chan, right?

I've seen bronies use "hide your power level" to mean precisely that, but only the bronies on 4chan.
  • edited 2018-02-09 07:23:14

I have been unaware of any further specification of the term, and given that I run in, very rabidly anti-nazi circles I think they would have dropped the term if it had accrued that specific association
  • extremely not so but maybe just a tad yes
    yeah it's like "hide your enthusiasm for thing" as an extension of the 4chan thing where having enthusiasm and actually enjoying things makes you an "autist"