Why do celebrities date/marry other celebrities?

Because, let's be honest, it's really depressing. I have a hard time believing most celebrity-celebrity relationships are based on real love and not just a superficial way to keep up appearances.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Because they move in celebrity circles and meet other celebrities at events and parties and stuff

They ain't gonna hang out with us commoners
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anne Hathaway and Natalie Portman both didn't, iirc
  • kill living beings
    Biopreparat breeding program.
  • edited 2018-01-11 21:10:04
    I think you mostly just don't hear as much about it when they date muggles.

But also, as Imi kinda said, it's also likely the famous people spend a whole lot of time with other famous people. Especially for actors, who are going to get to know their costars pretty well. It's not so surprising for romance to come out of that.
  • Also occasionally people become famous because they're dating a famous person.
  • I think you mostly just don't hear as much about it when they date muggles.

Mostly this.  Like, no tabloid is going to sell well trying to gab about a household name who married a random graphic designer or something.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Bee said:

I think you mostly just don't hear as much about it when they date muggles.

Mostly this.  Like, no tabloid is going to sell well trying to gab about a household name who married a random graphic designer or something.
    hey now, i am not just a random graphic designer :|
  • I was thinking of Robin Williams's widow, actually.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The point of confusion for me is this: If you're in show business, it makes sense that your social circle is going to consist mostly of other show business people.

But, like...you weren't always famous. What about the people who made up your social circle before you were a star? Did you just move on from them?
    They're just muggles now, they don't matter anymore
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Counterpoint:  Gloria and Emilio Estefan.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-12 03:36:41
    I wouldn't say that it's a matter of "the muggles not mattering" so much as working schedules are fucking ridiculous and showbiz is no different except for the ridiculous traveling on top of it.
    thanks to this thread I had a dream last night where I was married to Jennifer Love Hewitt

weird
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

The point of confusion for me is this: If you're in show business, it makes sense that your social circle is going to consist mostly of other show business people.

But, like...you weren't always famous. What about the people who made up your social circle before you were a star? Did you just move on from them?
    I mean, I don't really talk to old co-workers or people from high school other than a few exceptions. People who you interact with on the daily tend to get priority, for better or for worse. Keeping in touch is hard if you don't have a mutual community. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I guess I have kind of a skewed view of things since I never really had a social life until I was in my 20s and even then it was almost all on the internet
    I guess think about it this way: if HH were to go by the wayside for whatever reason, you probably wouldn't end up keeping in touch with literally everyone here. Sure, there would be a few people who you chat with occasionally, but in general having a common forum, activity, or other social gather location is what keeps things together. 

Social groups need to have an infrastructure or framework to support themselves, or you end up with just a few isolated connections that take a great deal of active effort to maintain. 
  • edited 2018-01-13 03:13:02
    kill living beings
    i'll continue haunting your dreams, however
    if they're haunted, wouldn't they be nightmares? 
  • kill living beings
    a nightmare is a haunted dream that's like saying "this haunted house is haunted"