"Hollywood"

Are the major studios indistinguishable to most people?

I mean, I have had, for most of my life, a tendency to get Fox and Columbia (and maybe Universal) mixed up with each other because their output felt spiritually similar to me, but other than that...

Comments

• Anonus said:

Are the major studios indistinguishable to most people?

Yes.
  • kill living beings
    Yes
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Er... yeah. Yeah.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Wait, are you saying that all movies AREN’T made in a factory buried under the giant HOLLYWOOD sign?
  • like if you just sat me in front of a movie without the little intro dealie that says what studio made it and asked me what studio made it i would have literally zero clue
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    see, now I'm thinking about, like, the various little factors that distinguish the studios, like their IPs, or theme parks (Disney and Universal), or historic things (e.g. WB's animation studio, M-G-M being M-G-M)
  • edited 2018-01-04 01:11:22
    See most of those I get. Sometimes I know what studio made a movie because I know that (for instance) Disney owns Marvel, or because it's animated by a studio with a sufficiently distinctive house style. If I cared about theme parks that would probably be on the list too, and I can at least remember that Pirates of the Caribbean is Disney-affiliated because it's based on a Disney ride.

But I literally have not the faintest idea what "M-G-M being M-G-M" means.
  • It kinda all blends together to me.

See most of those I get. Sometimes I know what studio made a movie because I know that (for instance) Disney owns Marvel, or because it's animated by a studio with a sufficiently distinctive house style. If I cared about theme parks that would be a reason that makes sense as well.

But like, I literally have not the faintest idea what "M-G-M being M-G-M" means.

They were the biggest studio in Hollywood from the '30s to the '50s, had the swankiest animation department of all the studios, basically OWNED Culver City (the M-G-M lot there is now Sony's lot)...
    I dunno, growing up I perceived Warner Bros. as this powerful world-smasher because Time Warner owned them, AND the old M-G-M cartoons, AND Hanna-Barbera
    Also, they had DC Comics (which WB stumbled ass-backwards into because DC's parent company ended up buying them too, and handing DC over to WB)
  • growing up I perceived warner bros as a logo that was on some movies but I forget which ones

growing up I perceived warner bros as a logo that was on some movies but I forget which ones

yeah you're canadian, and did not watch assloads of Cartoon Network and Boomerang like me

did you like to watch cartoons?
    also, in America, there was the WB network, and Kids' WB!
    I had this in another tab so I may as well post it:

• edited 2018-01-04 01:32:18
    I never had cable at home so there weren't many to watch. I liked watching 'em in the mornings and evenings when we went on vacation though.

I was aware of the existence of Cartoon Network because I liked to play flash games on their website but I don't think I knew it was related to Warner Brothers.

I never had cable at home so there weren't many to watch. I liked watching 'em in the mornings and evenings when we went on vacation though.

I was aware of the existence of Cartoon Network because I liked to play flash games on their website but I don't think I knew it was related to Warner Brothers.

believe you me, CN doesn't want to be related to WB
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Classic MGM is more about Arthur Freed than about the studio.

The MCU is more about Kevin Feige than about the studio.

Even for “studio” movies, the people involved matter.
  • edited 2018-01-04 01:40:49
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    well, yes

see also, Tom Ruegger and Bruce Timm and Paul Dini
    Anonus said:

I had this in another tab so I may as well post it:

at any rate, let me tell you, I'm still mad that Time Warner failed (yes, failed) to buy DreamWorks Animation
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Traditionally, to me, a movie studio is a logo plate thingie that appears at the beginning of the movie and is then instantly forgotten.

Traditionally, to me, a movie studio is a logo plate thingie that appears at the beginning of the movie and is then instantly forgotten.

they're kinda more than that to me because of the parades of previews that prefaced movies on VHS and DVD and such
    also, RIP Turner Feature Animation
    maybe I didn't watch enough movies on VHS

maybe I didn't watch enough movies on VHS

oh I loved my VHSes
    then again I am younger than you, young enough for this sort of thing to have been a part of my formative years
    nah man, we had a VHS player when I was a lil calf.

I just didn't watch it that much, I guess
    or we were bad and evil and taped stuff off TV

or we were bad and evil and taped stuff off TV

no that was good

you still have any of it?
    It probably exists in some box in my mom's basement
    oh i hope you can find it

you can send them to me if you want
    well, I could look sometime

not tonite
    yeah not tonight
    or tonite
    tonite is all right for tonight
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Columbia TriStar, Disney, MGM, 20th Century Fox, DreamWorks, Touchstone, Warner Brothers.
  • edited 2018-01-04 05:20:19
    studios i can distinguish

Disney
    Pixar which is actually part of Disney
    Lucasfilm only when they're doing Star Wars and it's part of Disney anyway
    Dreamworks because it's like Pixar but has the Dreamworks face
    then everything else blends together because it's live action

i admit that i'm not really into movies, sorry
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    when I was little I was aware of what movie studios were, because I watched a lot of TV and I could read the paper by the time I was in kindergarten. I remember being freaked out by the Warner Bros Big W and the Universal globe (especially the TV version since the scoring made it seem like it was SHOUTING). the Orion logo meant Caddyshack was coming on (hopefully), and the old ITC "Diamond Top" meant The Muppet Show back when it was in syndication.
    oh and the Paramount logo was Grease, and the MGM logo was either The Wizard of Oz or Logan's Run (both of which scared me).
    at this point the Fox logo was either "that logo on all those Burt Reynolds movies" or "that evil fire-alarm sounding thing at the end of M*A*S*H" because I hadn't seen Star Wars yet.