Why are there so few good Marvel cartoons?

I can at least partly chalk that up to Marvel not being commonly owned with a big TV animation studio or network prior to 2009 (Marvel Productions née DePatie-Freleng Enterprises counts but I am pretty sure many would automatically knock them out of the conversation given their era)

But under Disney, there really hasn't been much excuse

Meanwhile, DC has had access to WB's animation firepower for decades, and we all know the DCAU...

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    A valid question, though somehow I can't think of a good answer
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-11 19:06:02
    I thought most of the Marvel cartoons started out relatively fine when they were nice and episodic, then fell apart when they all inevitably did crazy transdimensional bullshit sagas lasting 10+ episodes, and the network always only ever aired reruns from the middle third of them (out of order natch) so the audience never knew what the fuck was happening.

"Oh are we in space again?  And Lizard is talking now?  Is Jean Grey still dead, and if so which death is it?"
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Honestly I hated that X-Men show as a kid, mostly because I didn't like to look at it
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The old X-Men cartoon is unwatchably hideous
    I KNOW IT
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-11 23:15:32
    Let's be fair.  Most cartoons from the early 90s and back were pretty fucking hideous.  Batman and Superman were all the more dramatic for being exceptions.
    Bee said:

Let's be fair.  Most cartoons from the early 90s and back were pretty fucking hideous.  Batman and Superman were all the more dramatic for being exceptions.

I told you. WB's animation firepower. The comedy side of their product (they shared Paul Dini and Tom Ruegger, at least at first) was pretty swanky too - full orchestras actually scoring the cartoons and stuff were common to both

Also, I could easily launch into a rant about Taft Broadcasting but I will not
    also, I am pretty sure Saban's later Marvel shows (Silver Surfer, Spider-Man Unlimited) have this Jonny Quest look to them, but they each only lasted one season so nobody remembers them
    and now i remember, Silver Surfer was full of cheap CGI just like Spidey's 1994 show was
  • kill living beings
    god i love previously on x-men.
    turkey
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    If I remember right, Spectacular Spider-Man was enjoyable and Iron Man: Armored Adventures was much better than it had to be.
    Aliroz said:

If I remember right, Spectacular Spider-Man was enjoyable and Iron Man: Armored Adventures was much better than it had to be.

hence "few"
  • Spectacular Spider-Man was written by Gargoyles guy, so being good wasn't a huge surprise.
    fun fact, last night I was thinking about Bonkers and I was stumbling around for his name in my mind so I thought of "the Disney version of Bruce Timm" and then "Greg Weisman, that's his name!"