"you know that thing where' child soap factories

Mother, I'm sorry for what I'm about to do

I was wondering about this thing in television shows of
  • militarized asylums
  • containing children forced to participate in unethical experimentation, develop psychic powers, whatever
  • run by very patriarchal kind of creepy fuck
such as Guy-Manuel from 1993 japanimation hole

or Dr. Bronner from made for tv movie Scooby-Doo Meets The Men Who Stare At Goats

but also like somewhat in akira which is older

which are all reasonably disparate

it seems like it would arise from a combo of "wow, mental hospitals suck" and "hey what are all those scientists doing out in new mexico?", but i'm wondering if there's something more to it, like a specific inspiring incident of child torture experiments, or what
Tagged:

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Probably some nazi
  • I feel like it's the sort of logical conclusion of "how do I make my evil scientist as evil as possible?"
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Project MK Ultra is probably one of the obvious influences, though I don't know that they did child experiments.

Also, as Odra said... Nazis.
  • kill living beings
    Oh yeah, they did do that, didn't they.
    Obā-san said:

I feel like it's the sort of logical conclusion of "how do I make my evil scientist as evil as possible?"

Well dealing with children yes but there's the factory nature on top of that. Seems very specific (and i guess death camps fit the bill)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Mengele used Auschwitz as an opportunity to continue his anthropological studies and research on heredity, using inmates for human experimentation.[2] The experiments had no regard for the health, safety, or physical and emotional suffering of the victims.[2][3] He was particularly interested in identical twins, people with heterochromia iridum (eyes of two different colours), dwarfs, and people with physical abnormalities.[2] A grant was provided by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, applied for by von Verschuer, who received regular reports and shipments of specimens from Mengele. The grant was used to build a pathology laboratory attached to Crematorium II at Auschwitz II-Birkenau.[38] Dr. Miklós Nyiszli, a Hungarian Jewish pathologist who arrived in Auschwitz on 29 May 1944, performed dissections and prepared specimens for shipment in this laboratory.[39] Mengele's twin research was in part intended to prove the supremacy of heredity over environment and thus bolster the Nazi premise of the superiority of the Aryan race.[40] Nyiszli and others report that the twins studies may also have been motivated by a desire to improve the reproduction rate of the German race by improving the chances of racially desirable people having twins.[41]

Mengele's research subjects were better fed and housed than other prisoners and temporarily safe from the gas chambers.[42] He established a kindergarten for children that were the subjects of experiments, along with all Romani children under the age of six. The facility provided better food and living conditions than other areas of the camp, and even included a playground.[43] When visiting his child subjects, he introduced himself as "Uncle Mengele" and offered them sweets.[44] But he was also personally responsible for the deaths of an unknown number of victims that he killed via lethal injection, shootings, beatings, and through selections and deadly experiments.[45] Lifton describes Mengele as sadistic, lacking empathy, and extremely antisemitic, believing the Jews should be eliminated entirely as an inferior and dangerous race.[46] Mengele's son Rolf said his father later showed no remorse for his wartime activities.[47]

A former Auschwitz prisoner doctor said:

He was capable of being so kind to the children, to have them become fond of him, to bring them sugar, to think of small details in their daily lives, and to do things we would genuinely admire ... And then, next to that, ... the crematoria smoke, and these children, tomorrow or in a half-hour, he is going to send them there. Well, that is where the anomaly lay.[48]

Jewish twins kept alive to be used in Mengele's medical experiments. These children were liberated from Auschwitz by the Red Army in January 1945.
    Twins were subjected to weekly examinations and measurements of their physical attributes by Mengele or one of his assistants.[49] Experiments performed by Mengele on twins included unnecessary amputation of limbs, intentionally infecting one twin with typhus or other diseases, and transfusing the blood of one twin into the other. Many of the victims died while undergoing these procedures.[50] After an experiment was over, the twins were sometimes killed and their bodies dissected.[51] Nyiszli recalled one occasion where Mengele personally killed fourteen twins in one night via a chloroform injection to the heart.[34] If one twin died of disease, Mengele killed the other so that comparative post-mortem reports could be prepared.[52]

Mengele's experiments with eyes included attempts to change eye color by injecting chemicals into the eyes of living subjects and killing people with heterochromatic eyes so that the eyes could be removed and sent to Berlin for study.[53] His experiments on dwarfs and people with physical abnormalities included taking physical measurements, drawing blood, extracting healthy teeth, and treatment with unnecessary drugs and X-rays.[3] Many of the victims were sent to the gas chambers after about two weeks, and their skeletons were sent to Berlin for further study.[54] Mengele sought out pregnant women, on whom he would perform experiments before sending them to the gas chambers.[55] Witness Vera Alexander described how he sewed two Romani twins together back to back in an attempt to create conjoined twins.[50] The children died of gangrene after several days of suffering.[56]
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Apparently MK Ultra did do child experiments, according to Wikipedia...

"Several of the children who Cameron experimented on were sexually abused, in at least one case by several men. One of the children was filmed numerous times performing sexual acts with high-ranking federal government officials, in a scheme set up by Cameron and other MKULTRA researchers, to blackmail the officials to ensure further funding for the experiments.[133]"

That's some fucked up shit.
  • "He was capable of being so kind to the children, to have them become fond of him, to bring them sugar, to think of small details in their daily lives, and to do things we would genuinely admire ... And then, next to that, ... the crematoria smoke, and these children, tomorrow or in a half-hour, he is going to send them there."

Yeah that's

Definitely very specifically the inspiration for Bondrewd
  • kill living beings
    MKULTRA was super fucked up, much like anything else the CIA has ever done to anybody, and they have pretty much gotten away with it. Which is actually plot point in scooby-doo, but it's also unreal sci-fi.

didn't know anyone liked mengele though. i mostly think of him in the context of severe burns
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Little Albert experiment
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I remember thinking that Mengele was pronounced like "mangle" and wondering if he was the source of the word like how Vidkun Quisling was the original Quisling.
  • kill living beings
    still can't believe Quisling was just a dude's name
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I used to wonder why anybody trusted Ponzi when it's called a Ponzi scheme for crying out loud.