come on down to Sexy Pete's! (Rollercoaster Tycoon Thread I Guess)

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Are you playing RCT2?
  • OpenRCT, which is a source port thereof.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Heh, I basically consider OpenRCT2 to be RCT2 because the gameplay is almost entirely unchanged.
    lol you ninja'd me there

CandyTown looks very cool!!
  • kill living beings
    i think openrct runs on linux, so i guess i should buy another copy of the game, figure out how to import the assets or whatever, and get going

it could be one of the strategy games i revisit as an adult now that i almost have teh attention span to actually complete missions instead of just doing bullshit :v

i distinctly remember being basically unable to design a good rollercoaster ("good" like popular and bringing in money), ever, which is pretty sad in "RollerCoaster Tycoon".
  • they call me sexy pete
    i'm the king of the half-price slice
  • i think openrct runs on linux, so i guess i should buy another copy of the game, figure out how to import the assets or whatever, and get going

it could be one of the strategy games i revisit as an adult now that i almost have teh attention span to actually complete missions instead of just doing bullshit :v

i distinctly remember being basically unable to design a good rollercoaster ("good" like popular and bringing in money), ever, which is pretty sad in "RollerCoaster Tycoon".
    it's really easy to accidentally make one that is too intense for like 99% of guests
  • kill living beings
    that was basically what i did every time yeah.
  • basically anything with sequential helixes will make everyone do the little like "WHOA" animation whenever they look at it
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Pretty realistic, TBH.
    I still can't get over the fact that the original RCT and RCT2 were written in assembly. By a single person, no less.
  • kill living beings
    apparently there are companies that solely design roller coasters. i'm glad
  • edited 2017-12-05 20:18:49

I still can't get over the fact that the original RCT and RCT2 were written in assembly. By a single person, no less.

Arguably it being done by one person makes the assembly part less impressive, since working with someone else's assembly code is basically impossible.

apparently there are companies that solely design roller coasters. i'm glad

OSU has a Theme Park Engineering Group dedicated to teaching us civil engineering students about career options in the theme park industry

So yes, it is actually a big deal

completed the second scenario with a mostly Egyptian-themed park

I can do a little like writeup if anyone wants
  • I didn't because I got my mom's schedule mixed up. Saturday tho

who else tf out here playing RCT
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Lol big stone pyramid on wooden tressle

Except it's probably actually painted fiberglass on a hollow wooden skeleton
    @Jane Do you need a co-commentator? :3
  • @Jane Do you need a co-commentator? :3

I wouldn't mind but unfortunately the kids are going to be home so we'll have to see how that works out. I'll keep you posted
  • vtk said:

Lol big stone pyramid on wooden tressle

Except it's probably actually painted fiberglass on a hollow wooden skeleton

the best part is that there's a racetrack under it
    I would have volunteered when I thought you were streaming today, but I thought I'd be busy at Myr's stream before that was rescheduled.
  • Alright!

like I said, I'll keep you posted. do you have a decent microphone?
    I don't have, like, a Blue Yeti or anything, but I have a gaming headset, so I'm not stuck with just the built-in laptop mic.

Bumbly Beach! The goal of the scenario associated with this park is to clear 750 guests and a 600 park rating by October of the second year. I aced it, and I think it has a lot to do with the various intertwining coasters.

At the front, the white and red wooden coaster is Big Dipper, which comes prefab with the park (and is apparently based on this real rollercoaster, also called The Big Dipper, in Blackpool, England). In the original non-OpenRCT version of the game, this coaster had its name changed to the unforgivably bland "RollerCoaster 1" in US releases. Something to do with licensing one assumes. This is a great coaster and like any well-designed wooden coaster it'll give you a steady stream of money over the course of the game. Dipper is also big enough that you can interlace it with other rides pretty easily, which I took advantage of several times. I've been told that in the original release this particular coaster had a nasty trick where it was programmed to crash on the final few months of the scenario, but I'm not sure if that's confirmed to be true or just one of those gaming urban legends.

If you look behind it you'll see the , a "racing track" (that's what the ride is called but unlike the superficially similar Go-Kart tracks they're actually quite slow, and classed as a gentle ride) that is quite loopy and convoluted, as I like making these things. Oldest ride in the park I designed myself.

Over here you can see a bright red coaster, the Beach Bungle-Lo. What this is is a repainted and renamed version of the "Crazy Cactus" prefab I first made for Dynamite Dunes (it's the green coaster near the park entrance), and have since reused a few times. It's reasonably popular, quite intense for its low cost, and is fairly compact, so I make a point of building this design whenever I can find room for it.

Next to it is Beneath The Beach! a log flume ride that is partially underground (I love doing that), and a small mini-railroad called the Town Track Circuit, since it abuts Bunglyburg (the small town next to our park).

The two single-rail coasters here are Switchblade (silver) and Doubleback (blue). Despite not technically being the same kind of coaster as far as I can tell there's no difference between the two kinds of single-rail coasters other than the shapes of the cars (Switchblade is a Steeplechase type coaster and has horse-shaped cars, Doubleback is a motorcycle race-type coaster and has motorcycle-shaped cars). The two interlace at several points, and Switchblade is partially underground.

Finally there's The Cobbler, which I named after its peach color that was picked by default when I started designing the ride. This is actually technically a mini-coaster, but you wouldn't know by looking at it. It's the largest coaster in the park and intertwines with every other ride I've mentioned here at least briefly. The only real bad thing about it is that its small station platform (and thus: small trains, two trains of three cars each) means that only about 40 people can ride it at a given time, which isn't as many as it sounds like.

Trinity Islands scenario completed with flying colors! No premade rides for this one, did all the work myself.

AMA
  • Sexy Pete is a pizza goblin who ensures that all the amusement park-attending children of the world can afford delicious slices of pizza. He is unbelievably sexy.
    An amusement park pizza goblin sounds like something out of Phoebe and Her Unicorn, or maybe Star vs. the Forces of Evil.
  • He is the one constant through my many amusement parks (or perhaps he is the one who the player is playing as. Really makes you think.)

anyway I was hoping for more questions about the rides, but I guess this works too :B
    Which ride is your favorite from that park, and why?
  • well I like Rattlesnake a lot. It's the bronze looping coaster. Here's a picture of it by itself in the track designer.

It's a powered launch, so there's no chain lift at all, and it's set up in such a way that the train can only just barely make that loop, so there's kind of a moment where the train just hangs upside-down in the air.

It's also a very simple design and I like elegance like that. Side note: the wooden mouse coaster it's interlaced with in Trinity Islands Park itself I ended up naming Mongoose.

I also am very fond of The Trinity Island Terror, which is basically just a larger version of Rattlesnake's design with an inversion to take advantage of it being a suspended coaster. It also has a more ostentatious magenta and gold color scheme.

The fun thing about TIT (did I make it abbreviate to that on purpose? Who can say) is that it's incredibly high up, so it looms over pretty much everything in the park except for the observation tower.
  • Jane said:

It's a powered launch, so there's no chain lift at all, and it's set up in such a way that the train can only just barely make that loop, so there's kind of a moment where the train just hangs upside-down in the air.

I was wondering why there was no obvious up-ramp.  That's pretty neat.
    Jane said:

The fun thing about TIT (did I make it abbreviate to that on purpose? Who can say) is that it's incredibly high up, so it looms over pretty much everything in the park except for the observation tower.

That is pretty cool.

(And I bet Imipolex likes this ride.)

really proud of this looping coaster design, it's called Hangman.

I'm proud enough of it in fact that if anyone wants I'll put the track design file on zippyshare or something. It has decent stats too.
  • kill living beings
    which way is forward? towards the slow rise or the steep rise? either way rising into a loop is new to me
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    My guess is it's a strong powered launch
  • the gentler rise is the direction it launches toward

It's a powered launch coaster (which somewhat to my surprise, are actually real)
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Is that the first RCT1 scenario?
  • Forest Frontiers yes

for a while I was trying to knock out all the scenarios but they get pretty hard and idk

also I don't understand park value goals. 
  • I have completed a very large coaster.

This is The Fatality, it's a standup coaster and it's partially underground. Don't ask me how that works, I don't know either.

Kinda hard to see up there given that it's large, partially in the mountain, and is dark purple, so here's a better shot in the coaster designer.

doesn't look nearly as impressive when not built into the mountain, I suppose!