Old-timey religious christmas carols ranked

edited 2017-12-06 03:06:31 in General
S Tier: Little Drummer Boy, O Come O Come Emmanuel
A Tier: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, We Three Kings of Orient Are
C Tier: Silent Night, O Mary Did You Know? Joy to the World
F Tier: I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
Jesus christ what the hell old-timey people, seriously, what Tier: Coventry Carol

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    where does o come, all ye faithful rank
  • I went to a Ukranian Orthodox church for several years and they always sung the "Bethlehem" in "O Come All Ye Faithful" as "Vefelem", your fun fact for today
  • My dreams exceed my real life

where does o come, all ye faithful rank

C
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Mary Did You Know" was written in 1991, it is not an old-timey Christmas carol, also it sucks donkey balls

"Mary Did You Know" was written in 1991, it is not an old-timey Christmas carol, also it sucks donkey balls

Somehow I thought it was older
    people pretend it is
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I would never have guessed that I am older than that song.

I knew it was modern but I was guessing, like, '70s or '80s.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I... I like all these songs.

It's one of my favorites...

I guess I grew up on different stuff than everybody else.
    It just sounds too...I dunno..."Contemporary Christian Music" or something.

Not my cup of tea.
    "I Saw Three Ships" gets stuck in my head and I have no idea what biblical event it's supposedly referring to
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The lyrics mention the ships sailing into Bethlehem, but the nearest body of water is the Dead Sea about 20 miles (32 km) away. The reference to three ships is thought to originate in the three ships that bore the purported relics of the Biblical magi to Cologne Cathedral in the 12th century.[2] Another possible reference is to Wenceslaus II, King of Bohemia, who bore a coat of arms "Azure three galleys argent".[3] Another suggestion is that the ships are actually the camels used by the Magi, as camels are frequently referred to as "ships of the desert".
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    "Angels We Have Heard on High"
    "O Holy Night"
  • Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer