I don't know how to feel about Michigan J. Frog

Given the origins of "Hello! Ma Baby"

I tend to tell myself that, like Brak, the racial aspect of the song has basically been erased because if not for "One Froggy Evening" I doubt most people would even remember it now, but I worry this is weird doublethink or something?
Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2017-11-27 21:28:03
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'm just mad at the darn frog for not singing in front of people when my buddy in the hat really needed him to.
  • Aes Rock, it's close to James Bond
    but my booking agent calls me Michigan J. Frog
  • kill living beings
    i didn't know about the "coon song" thing and i don't even get it from the lyrics (also new to me).
  • edited 2017-12-04 16:52:07
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

I'm just mad at the darn frog for not singing in front of people when my buddy in the hat really needed him to.

The guy didn't speak Martian, and Michigan is bad at reading human body language 
  • I guess the important thing in situations like these is to recognize that there can be elements of something one enjoys that have problems or otherwise haven’t aged well for one reason or another, while still being able to appreciate the artistic value of the work

I mostly associate Michigan with The WB, since that was his primary context for a good portion of my early years; it was only later that I saw anything regarding what he was a spoof of and made the connection, but having that knowledge didn’t detract from the fact that I thought it was cool that the network had a frog as the mascot, and I still think that’s cool

hell, Scott Pilgrim has characters use the word “retarded” as a synonym for “stupid” multiple times, and while I don’t like that it does that, it doesn’t stop the entire work from being a favorite of mine, largely because I feel that its strengths in other areas make it a bit easier to live with (albeit not excuse) mistakes like that
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    @Tre: Is this in the movie, too, or just like the comics?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think it helps in Scott Pilgrim’s case that Bryan Lee O’Malley has very much grown out of that stuff, AFAICT.
  • Comics, mostly. The movie is pmuch fine IIRC.

And yeah, that's very true as well
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Aaaah, okay, was wondering why I didn't remember that.
  • edited 2017-12-05 00:19:40

i didn't know about the "coon song" thing and i don't even get it from the lyrics (also new to me).

I think the first time I heard of this particular song was from that one snek quest thread because the description of ragtime snek quoted it.  Though when I recited the lyrics I did notice that it followed a "cakewalk" rhythm, which I know from a couple works by French composer Claude Debussy.

Fun fact: that rhythm is partly shared with the Cuban dance the "habanera".  My hunch is that the rhythm ultimately derives from the same source.