General Video Game Thread

Comments

• That spiral thing where you run the ball to the center has a really funny solution.

If you position the ball just so and set a bomb off near it you can send it flying to the center without needing to actually traverse jack shit
  • edited 2017-11-11 13:43:01
    kill living beings

Fuck mazes

there are a couple where they use the maze like a bat and just knock it in, but they're harder to find
  • kill living beings
    god botw speedrun videos are great

"The pioneers used to ride these babies for miles!"

• Fuck mazes

there are a couple where they use the maze like a bat and just knock it in, but they're harder to find

I at least went the semi-honorable route on that one.  I turned it counterclockwise so the ball fell in the ending stretch.  Still took forever just to roll it in because the perspective makes it look flatter than it really is.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-11-11 21:58:07

i got two of them and then got killed by a stray strike from the hinox, so fuck it

The Hinox isn't actually that hard to survive, so much as he's the cherry on a long shit-tastic cake because you're going to break all the good weapons on the island against him, which means you have to actually do everything else there to get those weapons.  If it was just him, or just the black moblin camp, the challenge would've been a lot less tedious.  It's having to do the sequence every time, all in one shot, where several nontrivial enemies in between can instantly kill you that makes it horrible.

Also I made landfall with about two days before a blood moon, so right after I cleared the area of chus and octoroks, they respawned in the middle of the fight -_-

The death reel DLC makes me giggle.  The devs knew exactly what they were doing with this game.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I played A Link to the Past again

good fun as always, none of that shit happens in that game
  • kill living beings
    if i recall correctly i only actually fought one of the moblins with a weapon, and the rest i killed with explosives and heavy objects
  • I played A Link to the Past again

I've been really feeling like playing that lately tbh
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Yeah but you have to bomb walls too
  • kill living beings
    Odradek said:

they're all marked with cracks, you big baby

Odradek said:

they're all marked with cracks, you big baby
    Much like

your mom
    yeah...I wouldn't deny it
  • don't step on a crack while whipping it
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    why do I want to say this is a chan op of some sort
  • So like, is he a fake employee who got real threats, or a fake employee who made up the threats too?
  • :(

Games with a significant online component should take steps to simulate that component for posterity.

Of course, all digital media is horrifyingly temporary and prone to disappear at some point in the near future so it might all be a moot point anyway.

Man, an actual permanent storage medium sure would be nice! Or at least a genuine concerted push for game archival.
  • This impermanence is one of the big reasons I see MMOs as something of an innately flawed genre. That and their ludicrous-even-by-games-standards requisite time investment.
  • Unrelated: I'm growing increasingly tired of games built on emergent systems (where all those emergent systems center around combat.)

Especially because I can cut out the paranthetical and the sentence still carry the same meaning, because *every* emergent systems game is combat focused, because nobody's figured out how to systemize anything other than combat. Harrumph.
    what else would you systemize?
  • edited 2017-11-27 20:46:41
    Hexartes said:

:(

Games with a significant online component should take steps to simulate that component for posterity.

Of course, all digital media is horrifyingly temporary and prone to disappear at some point in the near future so it might all be a moot point anyway.

Man, an actual permanent storage medium sure would be nice! Or at least a genuine concerted push for game archival.

[tangential]
    when i found out that the .hack series is about an MMO but had single-player games, i wondered how they would implement MMO mechanics

apparently they do do a lot of work with random forum posts and e-mails saying various things

but on the other hand you can pause in battles, and i realized this and i was like, what, that's just disappointing
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    please always put pause in your action rpgs
  • apparently the .hack PS2 games have too many menus
  • edited 2017-11-27 21:05:12
    kill living beings
    Hexartes said:

Sad laughter @ all
  • edited 2017-11-27 21:08:59
    kill living beings
    alternately, [picture of stele] nothing is permanent: all is vanity

I used to think that games being hard to preserve would be a thing of the past as computers got better. back in the day, i figured, computers sucked, so of course you had to pull all kinds of crazy shit and rely on undocumented processors to make things work nicely.

then i saw what the dolphin people have to do to get wii games to run and holy living dick, man.

Hopefully moore's law will peter out and computers will stick at about where they are. Though we might also get new exotic computation that's even crazier, it probably won't be wholly relevant to games. smash cut to ten years later, i'm trying to install my quantum annealing coprocessor so that i can play mario party aleph zero
  • Honestly I'm shocked the server stayed up that long.  It's a 2009 game on a system that was deprecated four years ago.
  • Hexartes said:

:(

it's obviously nowhere near the PS3 era yet but this is what MAME started out as, and still theoretically is.
  • kill living beings
    it's not the only game storage effort, but like the rest it's mainly based on volunteers cleaning up the crap left around by developers
    all I need are some SNES and Genesis ROMs and a decent emulator to play them on

but I know nothing about emulation so I dunno
  • kill living beings
    The most accurate SNES emulator is probably bsnes, which is made by a crazy person (in a cool way). last i heard, which was a few years ago, you still needed a pretty beefy computer for it to run normal snes games at speed, and you were kind of out of luck for a few exotic titles.

My understanding is that most common emulators are full of hacks so that they can support a partly correct game experience for popular titles, which is unfortunate as preservation. But I don't know, I've never worked in emulation.
    I always find that weird considering that a modern computer has, like, 82,000 times as much processing power as an SNES.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's because accurately emulating another machine means using all of that 82,000 processoring to emulate the strange quirks of the original hardware

It's why most emulators just go for "well, close enough to be playable" instead of aiming for 100% accuracy like bsnes
  • the low-level / high-level emulation distinction yes
  • edited 2017-11-27 22:46:15
    I don't care that much for the difference as long as we can accurately-ish recreate virtually any game experience that would've been formative for someone. I'm rather sad that DSiWare and WiiWare archival probably won't- and doesn't have much time to- get off the ground for that reason, because Tuck As A Young Buck spent a lot of time playing DSiWare games.

Re: formative experiences

I don't think the relatively large amount of game critic people with a large focus on computer gaming and/or its history understand fully how niche their perspective is, being that many of them grew up playing PC games.
  • Aside from just "you had to have a certain amount of money" I think an oft understated aspect of it is that computers used to be, and often still are, a "family" device which creates a whole set of attendant context for how they get played.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I was just saying h̤͕̖ͥ̎͒̃̾e̲̠̣̰͓̅͑͗̒ͨ͢l̷̖̣̪̯͍̮̺͓̬̆̈ͣ̈l̵̢͈̼̣͙̯̜̹̘ͤ̓̉́o̹͖̰͔̰͚ͤͦͨ́ͨ̓ͭͯ̕.̍
  • essentially the concern is, if you play a game that is being recreated as opposed to perfectly emulated, you're not actually playing the same game.

Doom (the original) is a fantastic example. The original DOS release and modern ports like ZDoom are very, very different. Doom did not originally support mouselook and had no jump button, among many other things.
  • Jane said:

essentially the concern is, if you play a game that is being recreated as opposed to perfectly emulated, you're not actually playing the same game.

Doom (the original) is a fantastic example. The original DOS release and modern ports like ZDoom are very, very different. Doom did not originally support mouselook and had no jump button, among many other things.
    Oh I know. I'm just not a huge stickler for that kind of thing as long as the essential experience is recreated (and I have a broad definition of "essential experience" because people have been modifying games for as long as they've existed) and there is some- preferably extensive- documentation on what has been changed.
  • I generally agree, that's just why you get things like the aforementioned Bsnes.
  • edited 2017-11-27 22:59:34
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, I almost forgot!

You know what I've become overly accustomed to? The mouse-based pan, zoom, tilt controls in games like The Sims or Cities: Skylines

Out of nostalgia, I tried playing Lego Creator (a 1998 game for Windows 95) a couple days ago and...it's old enough that it wasn't even a given that the player's mouse had a middle button, let alone that it could be used to control the camera

Instead you navigate around the world with onscreen controls, and like...I turned it off after a few minutes because I couldn't be bothered to relearn the camera controls I mastered when I was 9
    ZDoom is great and a good example (in my opinion) of an original experience being not only reproduced but improved.

But yeah, I just read this article and I think I'm starting to get it.
  • kill living beings
    thanks to this conversation i looked up some things, such as (1) there were games with analog data core to them, such as laserdisc videos (2) one of them was cut out of ghibli movies

you didn't know about laser disc games?

• kill living beings
    why's she keep laughing

and no, my first video game system was an n64 that was old when i got it
    My first video game system was the Halcyon
    My first game system was the NES

also, 7:25 is the best "death"

thanks to this conversation i looked up some things, such as (1) there were games with analog data core to them, such as laserdisc videos (2) one of them was cut out of ghibli movies

Dragon's Lair and Space Ace were technically laserdisc games
  • kill living beings
    true, but i don't know what those are and had not heard of space ace before this very moment