'90s graphic design

edited 2015-11-19 05:12:27 in Design
People seem to have generally blocked it from their memory. Not like I want the design world to be crawling with overly-ornate Emigre typefaces and Mountain Dew green and hideous distortions of the human face again, but still.

Also: Let me find an archive of all this stuff.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What were some of the characteristics of The kind of design you're talking about?
  • I take your "Mountain Dew green" example and raise it by Coke:

-shudder-
  • I had Surge once and I was literally sick for the entire rest of the day afterward.
  • I don't know what the fuck is in that stuff (do they even still make it?) but I can tell you it's nothing good.
  • It got discontinued and was replaced by Vault a few years afterward, but then that drink barely sold enough to be profitable so Coke took it off of store shelves, only to reintroduce Surge last year via Amazon and officially this year.

It's complicated and weird.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually kind of liked Vault.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    My mother didn't let me drink Surge when I was younger due to it having too much caffeine. And then Coke discontinued it :(
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I remember Citra.
    I tried Citra once...it tasted like Fresca with sugar in it.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Anonus said:

Still waiting on this.
  • im kinda tempted to try some Surge, they have fucktons of it at the SA down the block
    Crystal said:

Anonus said:

Still waiting on this.
    I couldn't find one. >_>

For what I'm talking about, I mean like that video game ad with the kid with the cube-shaped head

I can't seem to remember what thread it was in >_>
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I drank Surge back in the day

good stuff, yo
    Found it!

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    none more 90s
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    THEW ORLD ISSQ UARE
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

My mother didn't let me drink Surge when I was younger due to it having too much caffeine. And then Coke discontinued it :(

Jane said:

I had Surge once and I was literally sick for the entire rest of the day afterward.

I understand the novel experience thing—I'm curious about New Coke myself—but man, you have to know when you dodged a bullet.
    wow, that ad doesn't carry the flavor of the games at all. It is, however, screamingly 1990s. 

Also: $79.99 for a game? In what I assume are 1994 or 1995 dollars? And I thought $60 for a game now was a joke. :P

Anonus said:

Jane said:

I had Surge once and I was literally sick for the entire rest of the day afterward.

I understand the novel experience thing—I'm curious about New Coke myself—but man, you have to know when you dodged a bullet.
    According to Snopes, New Coke was a direct result of Diet Coke being a hit, and it was based on Diet Coke's formula (though adjusted to taste right with sugar in). I imagine "that cheap Richfood cola my brothers and I drank when we were kids" is a close approximation...Cott still makes that crap as "Cola".
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    lee4hmz said:

wow, that ad doesn't carry the flavor of the games at all. It is, however, screamingly 1990s. 

Also: $79.99 for a game? In what I assume are 1994 or 1995 dollars? And I thought $60 for a game now was a joke. :P
    ' 95. What's really telling is that FFVI is still $80 a year after release.
    Also FFIV being $70 four years after release.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Zeether said:

Honestly I would have loved something like that as a kid.

I've always loved taking photographs of stuff but I could never get my parents to buy me more than a couple rolls of film a year, so the gimmick of being able to fit four pictures on one 35mm frame is something I would have appreciated (since I didn't care about stuff like resolution back then).

Of course, it's a gimmick that could have only worked in the '90s, since nowadays the target audience of this thing has mobile phones they take pictures with. :P
    I was trying to find the one Nick ad with that "Hey Mac Hey Mac" whatever song but I forgot where I saw it, that had some 90's design oozing from every orifice
    While I'm thinking about it: This thread needs more Kai's Power Tools. Kai's Power Anything, really....even the interfaces were Totally Radical skeuomorphic nightmares. 
    Zeether said:

I was trying to find the one Nick ad with that "Hey Mac Hey Mac" whatever song but I forgot where I saw it, that had some 90's design oozing from every orifice

There's a print version of it:

I found it on Rugrat Online