Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I suppose that's true.
  • Please don't make it personal :(

He does the kind of thing I'd love to be able to do; criticism is one thing but I'd hate to think someone was talking about me like that
    Oh, I understand how that feels.

People have such a bee in their bonnet about these videos, but I've never met anyone who actually thought they were serious criticism.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Neither have I. In the same turn I find them amazingly boring, but I chalk that up to them not being my thing.

Still better than a certain few other critic or critic types I have in mind though.
    Like, if you want to get angry at people confusing internet comedians for serious critics, get angry at Doug Walker, or Red Letter Media, or Yahtzee. People actually take those guys seriously.
  • Even as a joke, I find Cinema Sins reductionist and wrongheaded. And reductionist and wrongheaded things give people reductionist and wrongheaded ideas and that's why I think it's a problem.

And yes, I have seen people take Cinema Sins seriously. But I don't feel like getting into this back and forth of "I've seen people do x" "actually no you haven't" so I'd kind of appreciate if people could just take that one on faith? It's not even the point of what I'm saying.
    Kexruct said:

Even as a joke, I find Cinema Sins reductionist and wrongheaded. And reductionist and wrongheaded things give people reductionist and wrongheaded ideas and that's why I think it's a problem.

And yes, I have seen people take Cinema Sins seriously. But I don't feel like getting into this back and forth of "I've seen people do x" "actually no you haven't" so I'd kind of appreciate if people could just take that one on faith? It's not even the point of what I'm saying.

Whatevs.

The video I posted isn't even wrong, it just seems like a waste of time.
  • edited 2016-04-14 21:33:04
    Exactly. It's a waste of time. And that is what I've seen people say about it. It's a waste of time and it's reductive. That's my issue and that's most people who I follow's issue.

Really I've seen a lot more time dedicated to criticizing Doug Walker than to Cinema Sins.
    Kexruct said:

Exactly. It's a waste of time. And that is what I've seen people say about it. It's a waste of time and it's reductive. That's my issue and that's most people who I follow's issue.

Really I've seen a lot more time dedicated to criticizing Doug Walker than to Cinema Sins.

Youuuuuu did not actually watch the video I linked did you
  • I have now.

Doesn't change much.
    Sure
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Well, that was expected from Madonna's directorial debut.

I'm not sure how you'll feel about this video, Myr. I know you'll be irritated by the first minute, at least.
    My main thought is that Gogol Bordello guy deserves a better movie.
    I mean Man of Steel was a commercial success so that one analogy isn't analogous at all, but Todds gonna Todd
    Guess who's back

back again

• I posted this at the end of the Seven Samurai stream, but I'm re-posting it here for people who weren't there and might be interested.
    Odradek said:

Guess who's back

back again

I want to laugh at Mike Posner for blatantly trying to get a piece of the Drake market, but...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

My main thought is that Gogol Bordello guy deserves a better movie.

Yes, very much so.

Kyle has a video out to kick off the Summer of Shakespeare
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    So I'm going through ancient (read: years old; I'm up to 2011 now) episodes of AT4W, and I decided to check out Lewis'sTwitter...okay, when the hell did Iron Liz become a gator and start retweeting the likes of CHS and Nero? Unfuckingbelievable. I should just stop watching the backlog and go back to plowing through OLP. :P
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I think that was brought up in the main thread more than a few weeks ago, but she discussed Gamma Guts with some folks a year or more ago. So a fair while.
    ^^^ The beau and I just watched that yesterday! It is good video. :3

^^ OLP?
    Hmm. I'll search for it, then

^^^ The beau and I just watched that yesterday! It is good video. :3

^^ OLP?
    Obscurus Lupa Presents.
    Crystal said:

I think that was brought up in the main thread more than a few weeks ago, but she discussed Gamma Guts with some folks a year or more ago. So a fair while.

Found it. It was back in January...must have been something I skimmed over or forgot about.
    (and oh for fuck's sake, she's following several extremely horrible people, people whose followers I usually report for targeted harassment on-sight. I'm very torn.)
    Fuck it. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I skipped ahead to 2012. This is just going to bother me too much.
    Oh my god why are you digging into it.

Don't do that
    I hear she doesn't appear on the show after 2011, so I'm kind of taking my chances. That and I kind of want to see the Marville review again.
    I also took Twitter off my phone, because I realised I spent a full 20 minutes or so dunking on randos with the report button instead of, you know, leaving for work when I was already late.
    And then I put it back on because I'm trash. 🗑🚮

Anyway, we need more Powered by The Lupa versions of bad action movie reviews.
  • edited 2016-05-02 03:03:55

I can't believe I watched all 41 minutes of this, twice, despite never having seen anything related to the Phantom of the Opera.
    I feel like Lindsay Ellis has become a much more engaging video person since she dropped any pretence of trying to be the Distaff Doug Walker. There's less obvious humour, but the humour that's there is more sincere and the commentary feels less superficial and more engaged.

New One Hit Wonderland
  • he did not just fucking call Chamillionaire a one hit wonder.
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh this makes me so much madder than it reasonably should
    I mean he is in the sense that Devo is
  • but Chamillionaire had multiple charting hits
  • yeah, I wouldn't call Chamillionaire a one-hit wonder either, though I guess it's just the fact that he's mostly remembered in White America for that one song is the logic behind Todd making a OHW about him

see also: Gotye, who most people consider a one-hit wonder in America but is a well-established artist with multiple radio hits in Belgium and his native Australia
  • also, holy shit, plot twist at the end of that

look at Cham, making bank even without a rap career
    He means the label loosely, and often uses it to debunk the notion that an artist actually fits the definition in the first place despite the fact that only one of their hits might be widely remembered in the mainstream. For example: Everyone and their mom knows "Take On Me", but despite it being a fine song, who remembers "The Sun Always Shines On TV" without prompting? (Nerdy music people and New Pop enthusiasts don't count.)
  • honestly let's be real the song that white people remember is White and Nerdy
  • agghgghhh Todd the reason Lil Flip is on "Turn It Up" is because he's Screwed-Up Clik and Cham was seeking regional legitimacy in addition to a pop crossover.
  • this man just compared Koopa to fucking Mims.
    sorry
  • OK he doesn't like "Good Morning" so now I'm sure he's just wrong about everything.
  • I actually don't mind the video I'm kind of nitpicking on purpose.

He's clearly kind of....out of his lane though.

I would maybe like this more if it were about some pop-rock group.
    You could message him on Twitter about it, you know. Just don't be super indignant about it and you'll be fine.