Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I just...love that this product exists.
  • Glorious.

(My alignment lies with Megatron and Coke but this is still quite amusing)

also PEPSIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Wow Arthur and the Invisibles is ugly.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It is.

And we return to the Land of Metafiction.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Are Todd's opinions on Four Rooms fair?

I'm asking honestly because that film seemed kinda interesting to me and I want to know if I should bother.

This series.

Go watch it.

Y'all know the score but it's broken down in a way I really appreciate.
  • Do you guys know about GoatJesus?

• This series.

Go watch it.

im on the second one of these

talking about the whole "angry because you could be wrong" thing

and... i had never even really considered that people could think in a manner that is quite that... gross
  • and the idea that it's, like, normal is even stranger?

and now im rolling through my memories trying to find times that i might have done that, and i'm not finding any?

is that weird? am i just oblivious to my own thoughts?
    Alduin said:

Do you guys know about GoatJesus?

I have some bones to pick with some of his stuff, but he's mostly made a concerted a effort to be less up his own ass about things and just a more reasonable person. Given that I already thought his actual reviews were pretty thoughtful and interesting, I approve of this. And, man, hating on another gay furry weeb would just feel wrong.
  • edited 2016-03-06 06:12:44
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm pretty oblivious to my own thoughts. It's why I try so hard to say what is on my mind.
  • Like...? What specifically do you not like about his reviews?
  • im intensely introspective, but sometimes have a hard time finguring out specifics
  • edited 2016-03-06 06:18:57
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ His sense of humour occasionally grates, he's brushed up against the line of—quel coïncidence!—some Gator-y opinions, and apparently he was in this bizarre feud with JesuOtaku over... something? He was also friendly with DraconisMarch, who is a moron.

That said, he personally seems all right and we have fairly similar tastes, despite some minor disagreements.
  • thoughts: i thought the videos were mostly ok, a bit too psychoanalytic and reductive, but it's not a big deal imo

mostly made me feel thankful for my upbringing

• This series.

Go watch it.

This was pretty interesting and caused me to think about some of these things in a different light, including some of my own (in)actions. Example: I basically ignored every side of this, and thought I was pretty much above it. Sexism in games? Clearly. So I sneered, distantly, at pretty much every group involved in this. Those claiming that sexism was not present or some kind of problem in games were clearly wrong for a variety of reasons, but I didn't see a particular purpose in Anita's work; having seen some of her Tropes Against Women videos, I thought her style of argument was too prone to choir preaching and would fail to connect to an audience that wasn't already in essential agreement with her.

What I wasn't seeing was broader context, certainly not on this scale. For instance, that GamerGate ultimately had a negative effect on a much larger number of people than I thought, or that extremists court frustrated moderates in order to veil their behaviour. I would consider the latter part obvious enough in context of, like, geopolitics, not a culture war based around an entertainment medium. So I'm left with suggestions that go beyond GamerGate and are more relative to the way games are made and who is included. The inclusion of more diverse genders, ethnicities, and sexualities has slid a tad further away from preferable and a tad closer to imperative.

Slightly tangential, but it'd be interesting to see how many mechanical ideas and other concepts pan out when placed under an auspice far removed from the middle-class white male defaults that are so prevalent. If you look at how substantial the differences are between Western and Japanese games are, I'm left wondering how other elements of identity would impact upon the way games are designed.

• This series.

Go watch it.

Saw this a while ago, it is indeed an *incredible* breakdown, and he echoed a lot of things I've thought about GG.

• and the idea that it's, like, normal is even stranger?

and now im rolling through my memories trying to find times that i might have done that, and i'm not finding any?

is that weird? am i just oblivious to my own thoughts?
    probably because literally everyone is like that
  • i still find that kinda hard to believe

Bieber is turning Canadian stereotypes on their heads by being so bad at apologising.
    That music video is distractingly bad
    He didn't even write the lyrics.

I've actually heard an interview with the duo who did. They seem nice, actually.
    heh
    Yeah, Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter. They were on Q. She's really, really shy; he's really, really gay. They also wrote "Good for You", bizarrely enough, which while written on commission for Selena Gomez was originally imagined by Tranter as addressed to an ex of his who liked him to look as feminine as possible. So that's some interesting subtext.
    Huh
    It's odd to think about people who write what seem to be very personal songs for other people.

GODS NOT DEAD HES SURELY ALIVE
    That justification Snyder gave for the neck snap kinda makes sense, which is probably why I never heard it during the 50 years of bitching after Man of Steel came out.

This is a good video, except for the part in the middle where Todd in the Shadows slaps you in the face with his dick movie opinions
    Someone must be telling Todd his opinions on movies are important, and that person needs to be shot.
  • Odradek said:

That music video is distractingly bad

Yeah, there's something really douchey about girls with bad fashion taste dancing.
  • Odradek said:

Someone must be telling Todd his opinions on movies are important, and that person needs to be shot.

There is a grand total of one person I know who puts significant stock in Todd's movie opinions
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

That justification Snyder gave for the neck snap kinda makes sense, which is probably why I never heard it during the 50 years of bitching after Man of Steel came out.

Well, I’ve watched that Kyle vid now, and I have to say that I don’t quite agree with the justification, and find something deeply wrong with the implications that it makes, but it does make sense.
    It makes sense to me.

Like, originally Supermen was the guy with the power to do what the stepped-on little guy wanted to do but couldn't. He fought the gangsters and corrupt slum lords who made people's lives hell, and flew all the way to Europe to arrest Hitler and Stalin for crimes against their people.

And like, I think if you're Superman, and you have all that endless power, and you want to do good with it, I can see killing someone if you've seen them commit atrocities, and they are the greatest threat the world has ever seen. But because he's still Superman, the act utterly horrifies him and he swears never to do it again, because even now, when it was more justified than ever, the act is still a horror.

I'm not saying it's The Superman, or that the world of fiction doesn't have room for incorruptibly moral individuals(I love Special Agent Dale Cooper and Wonder-Red), but I'm okay with it being A Superman.

Everyone just made it sound like he just walked up to Zod and snapped his neck without a second thought.
  • edited 2016-04-03 01:11:09
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^ Again, it does make sense and I understand those people who want to accept it as their version of Superman. I agree that the scene was definitely misunderstood by people, FWIW. It just personally doesn't sit right with me, and I do think that Snyder kinda fumbled the execution of it besides.

^ I am pretty pleasantly surprised by how good the YouTube comments to Kyle's videos seem to be, and I'm glad that Kyle is able to take criticism to heart without getting reflexive in either direction about it.
    He was super-nice when I was able to talk to him about a few errors he made about Hegel on a video when I mentioned it on a thread on SA he reads.
    Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

There is a grand total of one person I know who puts significant stock in Todd's movie opinions
    Well tell them to stop
    Walked riiiiiiggghhhttt into that one
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    you kinda did
    But I meant someone who actually knows Todd and had convinced him he is a Serious Film Critic who needs to Keep Aware of the film industry.

Despite all his opinions sounding like an alien who doesn't like or comprehend human movies and is just imitating what a human film critic might sound like.
  • That's pretty mean.