Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I was unaware that he had, but either way, I'm happy for him. That's one hell of a weight to get off your shoulders.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • My dreams exceed my real life

The Cinema Snob reviews a movie in which Cary Elwes appears to play the pimp from Blue Velvet
    http://www.poll-maker.com/poll581827x3ee34477-25

Kyle is running a poll to see what he covers over this year's Shakespeare month. Pick as many as you like, and vote if you want to effect the results.

Just don't be basic as hell and pick Gnomeo and Juliet OR Romeo X Juliet
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    in which a one-hit wonder Todd covers turns out to actually be interesting

(Vimeo link because it got pulled from YouTube.)
    It's stuck in my head now
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I feel like this is One Hit Wonderland at its best. A song everybody knows by heart, by an artist nobody knows anything else about, who happens to have had a long and varied career that's mostly gone under the radar.

Also, the "Shopping from A to Z" song was hilarious.
  • I liked Street Beat.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    (Aside: Is it even possible to use YouTube anymore without hiring an agent or joining a network? It seems like things get flagged for absolutely no reason these days, and unless you have counsel, you have no recourse except to wait out the appeal process or post elsewhere.)
    Agreed, Centie. Fun video.

I never did like "Mickey", like at all, but Toni Basil did it so well that I didn't mind my family loving it whenever it came on.... but I like it much more than what it was covering. And what the follow-up hit was, which was darn near intolerable. 
    I might be the only person who actually kinda liked that shopping song. :v
    I liked that Toni Basil's career boils down to her having a long successful career in showbusiness with Mickey just being one odd thing she did on the side in the eigthies.

I liked that Toni Basil's career boils down to her having a long successful career in showbusiness with Mickey just being one odd thing she did on the side in the eigthies.

Yeah she feels like someone for me to look into, at least to see all that she's done.

Pff, of course.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I liked it too, but you gotta admit it was silly as all get-out

I liked it too, but you gotta admit it was silly as all get-out
    I like silly. :P
    I thought it was funny in a ludicrous way but her other singles seemed more interesting, if less baffling.
  • last night i had a dream that Kyle Kallgren reviewed a fictional very bad anime and it kinda turned into rambling about him escaping the church of scientology

it was a weird dream

last night i had a dream that Kyle Kallgren reviewed a fictional very bad anime and it kinda turned into rambling about him escaping the church of scientology

it was a weird dream
    Maybe you had a prophetic dream about Romeo X Juliet
  • (*googles*)

On the floating island of Neo Verona
    oh my god
    Apparently it's better than it sounds, but has very little to do with the play, and not just in the obvious ways.
    It is doing well in the poll, because nerds are basic.

You ain't got a good Mercutio you ain't got NOTHING
  • as long as Julie Taymor's The Tempest makes it im happy

god i love that movie
    Bark.

(*googles*)

On the floating island of Neo Verona
    oh my god
    Actually wait, why hasn't someone made one of Shakespeare's comedies an anime.

As You Like It would be a great anime!

• Seriously, this is soooo catchy.
  • Fact: The AVGN is still funny
    No Gnomeo, though, and there's Ran and R&GAD. And let's be honest, said anime is interesting enough to give Kyle plenty to talk about.
    Point.
    I wish there were more adaptations of Cymbeline or Troilus & Cressida for him to discuss, though. Coriolanus and Titus Andronicus were really interesting, and more lesser-known Shakespeares are worth considering.
    Titus is such a good movie, oh my god.
    "Thou hast undone our mother!" "Villain, I have done thy mother."
    Yes, exactly.
    Sometimes comic books put one or two words in every speech bubble in bold text.

Linkara dislikes this.

I don't blame Linkara for disliking this.

I do, however, blame him for making a point to emphasize every bolded word when he reads aloud.

Yes, I get that you dislike that stylistic convention. You don't have to draw attention to it, just read the text like a normal human being would, dammit.
  • I don't mind that PewDiePie is popular and rich

It does register as kind of "wrong" to me, however, that he's become, like, this massive institution while the AVGN has faded into relative obscurity
  • I thought about this as I was watching Super Bunnhop's (mostly negative) roundtable review of the AVGN movie and it just felt weird engaging with it like they did

Because I don't think I could ever dislike that movie just because James is such an infectiously passionate filmmaker and his love of it is palpable in everything he does

Idk it just makes me sad
  • The AVGN is probably one of the 10 or 20 most well-known Youtube personalities.

Pewdiepie has more money because he has a much wider appeal and is a better businessman.
  • Hence *relative* obscurity

And honestly being a better businessman is why I find this sad, because James is a very talented and passionate filmmaker and I wish that held more weight than it did
  • Yeah I mean, I'm not a fan of either so I have no horse in this race, but I understand your frustration.

Few people eat off Youtube forever, it seems.
  • I will say, filmmaking aside, I found AVGN Adventures to be a bit dull.

Not bad, just sort of tried and true.
    Pewdiepie makes me understand how goons felt about Channel Awesome back in the day
  • Like I said it's not even that I resent the man himself, or, if anything, I'm just as resentful towards the likes of Game Grumps which I am a fan of

It just sucks that a lot of their fans don't realize what their success was built on
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Why would they realize? Because honestly the whole thing mystifies me.

What is the specific practice that PewDiePie (ugh) does that lets him rake in tons of cash?
  • really really really really good SEO and networking, on top of an LP'ing style that is broadly popular with a variety of demographics and not super exclusionary to any particular one (except of course hardcore gamers, who here, as elsewhere in life, do not matter nearly as much as they think they do).
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Wait, the all-capital letters style thing, that's search engine optimization?

I thought that was just him and everyone else being a horrible person to me specifically.
    Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great LPer, Pewdiepie has a new video on youtube tonight. Go and see it. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pewdiepie.”
    Oh, a man can dream.