Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited 2016-01-29 19:53:44

10. literally have never heard this before

9. literally have never heard this before, but it actually sounds conceptually interesting

8. i think i've heard this! which is a shame, because it's atrocious in every respect. no clue who Rob Schneider is? "sounds like the black keys" is backhanded, right?

7. haven't heard this either. i... like the chunky synth bass? Not bad! :D

6. Yeah, i've heard this. caaaaaaan't say i'm glad about that

5. Avoided this too! Kanye's outfit is bad. and the guitar is bad. The organ is bad. I never what to see Rihanna ever again.

4. THOSE SYNTH PLUCKS KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT. Formant lead is also unforgivable! send everyone involved to The Shame Zone

3. This is unforgivably dull. I change my mind, bring back the shitty formant lead.... please?

2. 2007 called it wants its gratuitous sidechained rocknrollcore back, at least Justice had a sense of fun.

Honorable mentions: Justin's new voice is bad, Adele's old voice is a chore, more stuff ive never heard before, though i have heard Uptown Funk? that song is ok

1. Haven't heard this before. Oh, I have! this was playing at H&M one time i think. I'm glad I bring headphones with me wherever I go, because that slow-burning synth arp does not a happy cat make me. THOUGH THAT REMINDS ME they totally play Hey QT at H&M sometimes too, all is forgiven.
  • basically, looks like sitting out pop music in 2015 was a good idea on my part.

though it was less an idea and more "a thing that incidentally happened"
  • edited 2016-01-29 19:52:34

as to the actual criticismness: i liked him more this time around, even though we disagreed more. though maybe that's just because i am too tired to get angry at people on the internet right now. mostly i watched because i heard that Danny L Harle actually got some radioplay and i thought that maybe i would get to hear his thoughts on Forever, but i guess I was mistaken. u~u
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Okay
  • oh c'mon, I gave him a fair shake! I even said that I liked his approach more this time around! what more do ya want?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I haven't been able to watch the video yet, so I can't comment on specifics, but I did think that Naney and Jane were fair this time around.
  • I really don't understand why you hate Rhianna so much :|
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That was a fun list, even if I am not sure to what degree I agreed with it. I can at least say that there was nothing objectionable on it.
    Jane said:

Yes and I dislike what Todd likes in this specific instance.

Anyway one of my friends on twitter is being harassed by Fantano fans (fan-tanos?) so that's fun.
    One good thing about Todd is that he has no truck with Gamergate and that ilk at all.
  • Well, yes, he dated a woman who said things on the Internet at one point.

oh c'mon, I gave him a fair shake! I even said that I liked his approach more this time around! what more do ya want?

It's nice to give things a fair shake, but I don't know why you even bothered
  • edited 2016-01-29 21:06:58
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Oh, indeed he does not.

Funny thing: I recently rewatched the Folding Ideas video on the application of critical tools to real-world scenarios—i.e. Gators—and aside from other Chez contributors, one of the people who supplied the video with clips was none other than Zennistrad, who I am assuming is the same one from IJBM and TVT.

^ He has warmed to Todd's stuff over time, comparatively speaking. So why not?
    Kexruct said:

Well, yes, he dated a woman who said things on the Internet at one point.

I know you don't mean it that way, but that's the gamergate narrative of "person x is being pussy strangled into being a SJW by their wife/girlfriend/sister/mother/abstract awareness of the existence of women as part of the human race"

oh c'mon, I gave him a fair shake! I even said that I liked his approach more this time around! what more do ya want?

It's nice to give things a fair shake, but I don't know why you even bothered
    He didn't even say that he disliked him this time around. I don't get why you're being like this.
  • because he's a fucking asshole that's why

because he's a fucking asshole that's why

Okay?
  • I

Don't feel like dealing with this today
    Oh wait that was probably me and not Todd.

Shit shit shit I'm doing it again and I didn't even know
  • edited 2016-01-29 21:08:54
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    [Cut, not the time nor place]
    SHIT

I thought I was on top of this, I thought I was dealing with this and getting better.
    I think Kex's point was that observing someone you care about being harassed by a kooky fringe group kind of makes you predisposed to dislike said kooky fringe group very passionately.
    Oh my god I feel like I'm doing surgery with a blindfold while drunk, and I just can't do anything without hurting pepole
    Welp, this conversation has derailed most unpleasantly.
  • Gosh this is going to be a thing I go back to and be like "wow, that was way more unpleasant than it needed to be"

And I have several of those memories and I don't like having things added to the list and

Again, don't feel like dealing with this today
  • Jane said:

Anyway one of my friends on twitter is being harassed by Fantano fans (fan-tanos?) so that's fun.
    One good thing about Todd is that he has no truck with Gamergate and that ilk at all.
    I didn't think he did, I just don't think we approach music the same way.

Oh my god I feel like I'm doing surgery with a blindfold while drunk, and I just can't do anything without hurting pepole

I don't think anyone is actually upset with you, chill man. 
  • edited 2016-01-29 21:14:55
    Speaking of Internet critics, I've honestly begun treating people like Northernlion and RockLeeSmile as incidental lite versions of more formal types. It helps that the former has been doing his Let's Look At's a bit more.

I mean, I would like more types I enjoy listening to, but it's something.

^ To add onto Jane's latter part: I cut my stuff because I've got little interest in what prompted that, or the misunderstanding or whatever itself, so.
    Jane said:

Jane said:

I didn't think he did, I just don't think we approach music the same way.

I don't think anyone is actually upset with you, chill man. 
    I don't know because nobody will tell me!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm not bothered by you.
    Naney's probably upset because you kind of do that to him a lot, if not generally with ill intent.
    I know I know! I messed up so hard, and I barely even knew it was coming!
  • edited 2016-01-29 21:28:45
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    If it helps, I can rather strongly relate to Naney here.

(I'm not upset at you here, however. I was more kinda confused when I posted my last post.)
    aaaaaa i am so sorry goddamniot
    So.

Backtracking a bit and avoiding all this.

I actually really like "I Can't Feel My Face", because unlike most of The Weeknd's music, it's sleazy in a way that's fun and tongue-in-cheek, and it actually has a really great understated hook. "In the Night" is arguably even better, in that it manages to bridge the more self-serious stuff with the fun stuff in a satisfying, propulsive manner, but it's not quite so immediate.
  • edited 2016-01-30 00:09:33
    I'm not huge on The Weeknd, but can understand the appeal of most of his works.

"The Hills" continues to escape me, however, because I'm not even sure what he's trying to convey with it.
  • "The Hills" was made 20,000 times better when Ghostface Killah rapped over it and then posted that remix to /r/HipHopHeads like four times.
  • there is new Brows Held High
    Hey I have actually seen this movie!
  • edited 2016-01-30 01:39:22
    ... Yeah, I have to be honest and say that the inclusion of "FourFiveSeconds" on Todd's list doesn't gladden my heart either.
    I did not want to offend anyone, and I just kinda didn't know what to say, and I guess I communicated ineffecitvely and hit a sore spot I've hit before.
    ... That was not what I was referring to. I am sorry that happened, but that was actually my way of trying to move the conversation forward past that.
    Yeah, I have to admit that Taylor Swift, as of her current incarnation, might be someone I want to like more than I do.

I have the same problem with Kanye, really.
    I can totally get why Todd put "Style" as #1, and really I can understand the logic of all of his picks, even if I don't entirely agree with them in the way that I did this year's worsts. "I Don't Fuck With You" and "Downtown" are pretty great choices, though, if only because I have great respect for songs that do not take themselves seriously in the slightest.
    It is rather admirable how Macklemore seems to be only getting more bold rather than less, considering the fierce and mostly undeserved criticism he comes in for.
    It also features a zillion now-little-known '80s MCs on the verses, which to me really speaks to who he is and how he approaches what he does in a very positive way. As time goes on, I just like him more and more. I get why some people can hate him, but I don't feel like the hate is really about him, and that's really just very irritating.
  • It's endlessly irritating because the dude is downright fucking neurotic about covering his ass.
    So, remember how Hope Chapman kind of dropped out of the whole video reviewing thing a while back with relatively little fanfare?

Don't worry, it's not horrible. It's actually quite positive.
  • edited 2016-02-05 22:51:58
    Myr already mentioned that in the megathread, but still, good luck to him.
  • edited 2016-02-05 22:52:40
    Myr actually brought that up in the main thread the day it happened (ninja'd). Anyway, it is definitely positive and I'm very glad for him.