Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Adele pretty much went to shit

shame, I liked her earlier songs
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Oh god, what did she do.

Naney's cat sixth senses never lie, he must have sensed evil again.
    I think Naney just hates soul singers.

That's fine.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Then how do you account for Cee Lo?
    He's a soul singer who also happens to be a massive idiot.
    But Naney obviously sensed his evil beforehand!
  • He's a soul singer who also happens to be a massive idiot.

Is he really? Dammit.
    Unfortunately, yes.

(This still doesn't stop me from enjoying Gnarls Barkley, though.)
    Relax. This doesn't change his music.

I just facepalmed at that and moved on.
  • Yeah I know but it puts a damper on it. I mean this isn't YFIP tier bs
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I'm kind of amused that the snowman's actual voice is so similar to the voice Phelous does while mocking him.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't like these Nostalgia Critic recap-style reviews anymore. I haven't for quite a while.

After I watch these things, I don't feel the need to watch the movie, and being what it is, each video has to go on for lengths that I find intolerable.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, I agree with you to an extent, but I don't mind it when the movie is either (a) something I've already seen, or (b) something I would have no interest in watching in full anyways (like the cheap cash-in cartoons Phelous seemed to do a lot of last year)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Same here. A lot of my favorite NC episodes covered movies that I'd probably never seek out on their own (particularly crap like Battlefield: Earth).

Kyle posted his best of 2015 list.
    Todd's 2015 list is here

• edited 2016-01-14 14:02:08
    My dreams exceed my real life
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think it's rapidly becoming a consensus that That Song is truly the worst of the year.
    Spoiler:
    Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor's "Marvin Gaye". It is the new "Afternoon Delight", but not even in a vaguely funny way.
  • I liked that song the single time I heard it.

But then I also like "Afternoon Delight" (I've sampled it before, actually).
    Meghan Trainor and Charlie Puth are the exact opposite of people who are allowed to do a tribute to Marvin Gaye.
    ^^ You have the strangest taste, Jane. Not in a bad way, but I am... puzzled. (I don't even particularly dislike "Afternoon Delight", but I completely get why people do, and "Marvin Gaye" lacks its camp value.)

^ Oh, so very much so. This song maybe could have worked were it performed by people with some fire and solid production—although it would still be hella silly—but they're so serious about it. It only really works to me if it's taken completely ironically, and I don't know if I approve of that.
  • edited 2016-01-15 19:12:44
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    If it was a performer who embraced irony, that sort of approach would be appropriate, but Marvin Gaye was about as painfully sincere as one could get playing pop music.
    If it were any more sincere it might actually work, but the tiny amount of winking and nudging with respect to the subject matter actually makes it worse. But honestly, I'm not sure whether it's more or less repulsive with or without the video.
  • I think Marvin Gaye, like San Francisco, is a made up thing by the internet.
  • I think Marvin Gaye, like San Francisco, is a made up thing by the internet.

come on

^^ You have the strangest taste, Jane. Not in a bad way, but I am... puzzled. (I don't even particularly dislike "Afternoon Delight", but I completely get why people do, and "Marvin Gaye" lacks its camp value.)

Well I only heard it once.

Sincerity in pop music doesn't really bother me (I kind of suspect such cheese actually).

Probably, I will get sick of it if they start playing it constantly. That is the usual pattern with me for Trainor's songs.
  • edited 2016-01-15 19:20:09
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^^ The reference to "Mercy Mercy Me" would still be fairly offputting either way.

^^ I used to think that about the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.
    ^^ I like sincerity in music. I like it a lot. But I also like music that isn't like whatever "Marvin Gaye" is.

^ They do seem like the kind of thing that the Internet collectively invented to make Monty Python's origins even more peculiar and convoluted.

New BHH
  • Oh man, I remember looking at that movie and thinking "wow this looks like a thing"
    Yussss! I will watch this momentarily!

By the way, I know people have mixed feelings about Folding Ideas guy (mainly because of the Cremaster Cycle review, I think?), but for Christmas he did a lengthy series of videos about Undertale which, because I have not finished it yet, I have not watched. They might be good, they might be bad, but they are indeed out there and the most recent thing he's put up (and by far the most extensive) outside of progress updates on the short film he's co-directing.
  • i havent watched that video yet, but the title reminds me that i do wish that films in general were more expressionistic
  • ...Janky CGI Horus is hot?
  • charlotte rampling's shingle hair is really good
  • anyways, good vid
    Watched it!

I completely agree with what he is saying, incidentally.
    Todd's top ten best is here

• Really weird list. I didn't disagree with any entry necessarily but his placement was pretty damn odd. Putting Downtown in all of its awkward, dopey, shambling glory at number 10 left me pretty miffed right off the bat.
  • I still find Todd kind of obnoxious.

I like most of those songs too but the reasoning is 

not the same reasoning I'd use.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who likes Walk The Moon though.
  • Oh wait I did disagree with one entry, Shut Up and Dance. I think it's telling that I forgot about it immediately.

The Manic Pixie-ness of it was immediately off putting and aside from that I just found it dull as all hell.
  • ironically that was the only one I thought his reasoning was the same as my own on.

but I like sugary 80s music
  • Style was a weird pick for #1, if only because it felt very much like a... uh, second place kind of song for whatever reason.

I really feel like #1 should've been Downtown or FourFiveSeconds.
  • "FourFiveSeconds" is a good SOTY candidate.

I liked most of those songs, just not "Style". Even exclusively Taylor Swift songs both "Bad Blood" and "Blank Space" were better.
    People like what they like
  • Yes and I dislike what Todd likes in this specific instance.

Anyway one of my friends on twitter is being harassed by Fantano fans (fan-tanos?) so that's fun.