Why do radio stations insist on playing covers of "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree"?

Brenda Lee's voice is so distinctive that your mid-2000s country/pop crossover artists can't do the song justice. They all just end up sounding like the watered-down version you'd hear in a movie that couldn't get the rights to the original.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You needs someone with a lot of vocal flavour and kick to make that song work, and a lot of instrumental energy and dynamic control to whit.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    IJBM: All the Christmas songs with "rock" in their name sound more like country.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

You needs someone with a lot of vocal flavour and kick to make that song work, and a lot of instrumental energy and dynamic control to whit.

What I find really impressive is that Lee was thirteen years old when she recorded that.

Thirteen.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    To be fair, most of them are from a period when the rock end of country and the country end of rock were the same thing.

But you knew that. And I just stepped on a joke. I think?