Comments

• edited 2015-11-07 00:03:12
    I was dreading you finding that article. My first thought when I saw it was "I hope I never ever ever ever have to have a conversation about this."
  • I mean you never have to have a conversation.
  • kill living beings
    do people actually believe auteur theory, like, after thinking about it at all
  • well ok that's not totally true, but it usually is, and is in this instance too.
  • anyway this article reminds me of the thinkpieces on Drake I've read.
  • That’s probably the biggest sin of keeping the myth of Auteur Theory alive too long: we’ve developed a cinephile culture that dramatically overvalues “visionaries” whose recurring, immediately-recognizable visual and thematic fixations effectively drown-out the discussion of what are at their core spotty, unwieldly filmographies at best

this is the good bit of the article should have had tarantino on this list tho ttttbbhhhhh
  • can we all agree that Jackie Brown was his best film
  • I have seen two Tarantino movies and hated both.

This is further proof that Jane Does Not Movie 
  • kill living beings
    i liked the part where that guy died, and at some point he her his his blood, apparently, to help
  • i liked the part where that guy died, and at some point he her his his blood, apparently, to help

this is a good typo because it obfuscates the sentence in a manner reminiscent of man hook hand hook car door but moreso
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

That’s probably the biggest sin of keeping the myth of Auteur Theory alive too long: we’ve developed a cinephile culture that dramatically overvalues “visionaries” whose recurring, immediately-recognizable visual and thematic fixations effectively drown-out the discussion of what are at their core spotty, unwieldly filmographies at best

this is the good bit of the article should have had tarantino on this list tho ttttbbhhhhh
    I actually like that paragraph in general.

It easily could've held up as a thesis for a better article. 
  • also this is the first time that something warcraft related has looked interesting to me
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm concerned over how heavily Disney leans on the MCU

It is a ticking time bomb, despite its ambitions
  • i wanna watch jackie brown again now
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

i liked the part where that guy died, and at some point he her his his blood, apparently, to help

Jerk, lol.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Neither DC or Marvel have made a female-lead or minority-lead Superhero movie yet, despite Marvel's supposedly better progressive credentials.
    There are movies featuring Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Ms. Marvel (Marvel's Captain Marvel) in the works
    They're not slated to be released for several years, though
  • Anonus said:

There are movies featuring Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Ms. Marvel (Marvel's Captain Marvel) in the works

maybe I'm just overly skeptical but I feel like these aren't ever coming out.

like I just can't picture a movie called "Black Panther" being successful, regardless of why.
  • odradek what is your favorite tarantino film
    Anonus said:

These are perputally "in the works"

I think they have been "In the works" so long that Georges Méliès was probably attached to direct at least one of them.
  • kill living beings

Neither DC or Marvel have made a female-lead or minority-lead Superhero movie yet, despite Marvel's supposedly better progressive credentials.

I saw something saying deadpool was "confirmed" bisexual, and felt very empty

Anonus said:

maybe I'm just overly skeptical but I feel like these aren't ever coming out.

like I just can't picture a movie called "Black Panther" being successful, regardless of why.
    Internet racists, who are too many and too loud, will shit themselves over such if it is actually completed and promoted
  • have I ever gone on record as fucking hating Deadpool cuz I do
  • lol Deadpool

also this

odradek what is your favorite tarantino film

I do not know.

Reservoir Dogs maybe?
    Leni Riefensthal's Das Wunderfraulein
  • edited 2015-11-07 00:52:17
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I don't entirely hate Deadpool, but those could be residual thoughts from when I pretended to be more dudebroish than I actually am.
  • my deadpool opinions mostly exist because i associate him with the kind of person who really loves ragecomics
    The Lumiere Brothers are slated to direct a Shatterstar movie as soon as Disney feels like it.

The Lumiere Brothers are slated to direct a Shatterstar movie as soon as Disney feels like it.

isn't he part of the X-Men franchise and thus locked up with 20th Century Fox?

Marvel parceling out the film rights to their characters - who were designed almost from the outset to be part of one big universe - was so dumb

Sony/Columbia holding onto Spidey is understandable when you consider that, like, they barely OWN any IP themselves (Ghostbusters, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and a bunch of old Norman Lear shows are their biggies), but Fox has like Planet of the Apes and Alien and is way more functional than Sony
    Anonus said:

isn't he part of the X-Men franchise and thus locked up with 20th Century Fox?

Marvel parceling out the film rights to their characters - who were designed almost from the outset to be part of one big universe - was so dumb

Sony/Columbia holding onto Spidey is understandable when you consider that, like, they barely OWN any IP themselves (Ghostbusters, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and a bunch of old Norman Lear shows are their biggies), but Fox has like Planet of the Apes and Alien and is way more functional than Sony
    Yes, this is the only reason the Lumiere Brothers will not be directing a Shatterstar movie.

Otherwise it's plausible.
    I know, I was just saying Shatterstar is a character they wouldn't be able to get to anyway
  • kill living beings
    deadpool seemed clever when i heard of him but then i saw how it usually goes
  • Deadpool is a less interesting version of Ambush Bug.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

do people actually believe auteur theory, like, after thinking about it at all

i think juan has complained about those people so yes
    The cigar-chomping boogeyman of the old time Studio Mogul is long extinct, with even notorious figures like Harvey Weinstein looking like pussycats compared to their “Golden Age” predecessors.

Sheesh this didn't age well

Also they made 2/3 of the above mentioned movies
    Despite everything though, I am probably more on Cinema Robert's side than a lot of the people he fights nowadays
    Isn't that the site that published Devin "rapist" Faraci
    Oh yeah more than one thing didn't age well here
    I think the one that aged the least well is "I just don't see a movie called Black Panther doing well"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I giggled at that upon re-reading it yeah.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

That’s probably the biggest sin of keeping the myth of Auteur Theory alive too long: we’ve developed a cinephile culture that dramatically overvalues “visionaries” whose recurring, immediately-recognizable visual and thematic fixations effectively drown-out the discussion of what are at their core spotty, unwieldly filmographies at best

I actually like that paragraph in general.

It easily could've held up as a thesis for a better article. 
    And it's not like Hollywood has a dearth of auteurs that that are held up as "visionaries" but had maybe one or two truly great films before succumbing to their own egos. That article would have been amazing.
    Odradek said:

The cigar-chomping boogeyman of the old time Studio Mogul is long extinct, with even notorious figures like Harvey Weinstein looking like pussycats compared to their “Golden Age” predecessors.

Sheesh this didn't age well
    NOPE