ProfessorGator's Dragon RPG

edited 2012-02-03 22:57:05 in General
While I was on a bus ride today, I thought about a dream I had last night, which then went on a tangent into this idea for an RPG.

The main premise is that you are a young, orphaned dragon. Your parents were heroes to a magical fantasy town populated by humans, and they died protecting it before you were born. In their honor, one of their friends started a dragon-wizard alliance with two goals: first, training and research in magic, and second, protecting and serving the community. You've decided to join this organization and want to make a few friends in it.

Your character's stats and abilities as they level up would be determined partly by what you train in, and partly by the people you choose for your circle of friends in the dragon-wizard alliance. By abilities, I mean things like whether the magical element of the dragonbreath is ice, fire, water, or lightning.

I know it could use some fleshing out and tweaking, but it might actually make an interesting game in the right hands. What do you think?

Comments

• Dragons! 8)

I do too. I am saying this partly because I am currently playing the game, but you could use a modified version of the Pathfinder system (it's pretty much D&D, exactly).

Plus, then we could pick a dragon color (disregarding that stupid "durr hurr chromatic dragons are always evil, durrrrrrr" rule).

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Glad to see someone else who doesn't like that rule. Why we can't have a good blue dragon with gator teeth or black dragon with a skull on the outside of their head, I have no idea.

In my head, the main character's color alternated between bronze (mainly because Draco from Dragonheart looks a little bronzey to me), gold, and black. Also, I didn't think that elemental breath powers should be based entirely on color, but I can link them a bit. Maybe gold could be more inclined to fire breath and black could be more inclined to lightning (internal logic: black = thunderclouds).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've always liked Blue Dragons specifically because it's my favorite color and THEY SHOOT LIGHTNING OUT OF THEIR MOOOOOOUTHS.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    In D&D, green dragons were the ones who lived in the woods, had acidic venom breath, and had pelican chins, right?

My favorite D&D dragon designs are blue, white, copper, and bronze.
  • edited 2012-02-03 23:28:03
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    In one of the 3rd edition extra sourcebooks, there was a picture of a blue dragon cackling as he (or quite possibly she) used a spell to turn his breath into an electric man to attack a bunch of sample characters from the Player's Handbook. For some reason, I always thought the dragon looked really cool with that facial expression.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I want to be a Blue Dragon and play this every time I enter an important battle.

• I hated that show during the brief time it ran on....Toonami, I think?

I dunno. I never liked it.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    No, you see, I was talking about the game.

Great game, with only a few flaws.
  • edited 2012-02-03 23:42:17
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I never minded simple turn-based RPGs that much, to be honest. Though in this game, a top-down grid-based or freeform system might work a little better.

You know, I never expected that this would turn into a discussion of different dragon colors. I actually don't mind this. I might rerail the thread a bit later, but for now, I like this tangent. 
  • Freeform with dice-rolling for combat and some aspects of character creation would be an ideal, I think.

Someone who is not me would have to handle the actual rolling of the dice, though. 

Also, are we gonna stick to the traditional D&D colors & metals?

Oh, I see where I was confused. I had more of a video game in mind, while you were thinking of a tabletop game. I can see it working as either of those.

And "a bit later" was sooner than I thought, it seems.
  • Well if we were to play it on here it'd have to be either totally freeform or a tabletop of some sort, yes.

wait, this was totally hypothetical?

Shiit, I wanted to play this. :(

Whoops. Sorry about that.

We could set it up as a game, but right now, we're a bit preoccupied with Icalasari's Pokémon adventure, so it might not end well if we have both of these going on at the same time.
  • Eh, I can probably handle three at once (this, that, and my Pathfinder game), but if you don't want to, I can't make you.
    I could handle more than one at once during the summer or if I had a lighter course load at school, but I have a seminar on presenting scientific reports right now. That's going to require some time that I would normally use for gaming. But I can keep this in mind and try fleshing it out around the end of April if you're still interested. I should be finished with the time-consuming school stuff by then.
  • alright.

Though, I will have a job at that time. So I may not have the time.

But even if I'm not interested any more at that point I'm sure others will be.

• edited 2012-02-04 00:21:05
    It's okay, I just felt a little guilty about your disappointment. Mostly I was thinking of brainstorming and taking suggestions in this thread.

Speaking of which, here are two sample characters of what might appear in a game like this. Basically, I'm taking the role I've played in some of my daydreams, giving myself a different name, and copy-pasting it into this setting.

Noah
    A student who joined the dragon-wizard alliance a year ago. He's shy but polite, and he loves animals. He can often be seen taking short walks in the woods with his assistant, Keela.
    Strong Stats: INT/Magic Attack
    Weak Stats: STR/Physical Attack
    Slightly increases your chance of learning lightning dragonbreath, slightly decreases ice's chance

Keela
    A dragon cursed into the body of a boa constrictor. He's calm, collected, and often willing to share advice to those who ask. He works as an assistant to the researchers of the dragon-wizard alliance and is a personal friend of Noah's.
    Strong Stats: WIS/Magic Defense
    Weak Stats: DEX/Speed
    Slightly increases your chance of learning steam dragonbreath, slightly decreases ice's chance