So I decided to sit down and watch some anime with Gordon Ramsay...

edited 2012-01-31 19:36:10 in General
...only to find my downloads had no subtitles. 

His reaction?

Dude, chill. They're just cartoons.

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Puns aside, That's about how Gordon Ramsay reacts to everything.

I think the only reason he does Hell's Kitchen is because he likes being paid to verbally abuse people.
  • ^^Dude, who wouldn't like to be paid to verbally abuse people?

That said, Hell's Kitchen is obviously scripted. You can note a clear difference in show style from the first season of Kitchen Nightmares which was more about looking at restaurants as business from the dramaville they are now.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know what I've always found amusing? The original Channel 4 Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares was actually focused on the restaurants and the food, while the American version seems to emphasize the American version has almost always been about playing up the DRAMA aspect.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I remember getting Kitchen Nightmares confused with The F Word in conversation once.

In The F Word he seemed pretty calm, IIRC.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It always amused me that the show called The F Word was the show where he swore the least.
    How often do you watch Gordon Ramsay?
    Not as often as I used to. Two or three years ago, though, I used to watch reruns of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America all the time and I'd occasionally watch The F Word.
  • edited 2012-02-01 01:46:14
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

"You know what I've always found amusing? The original Channel 4 Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmareswas actually focused on the restaurants and the food, while the American version seems to emphasize the American version has almost always been about playing up the DRAMA aspect."

Another key difference is  he has a week to address the problems in the UK version. He has three days to address the problems in the American version.

I'd imagine there's a drastic difference in how well the restaurants do when he leaves. 

Friday and I actually looked into the American version and it seems most of them fail anyways. 

One we just knew there was no way it would make it. It was a Mexican restaurant owned by a guy who ad already run one restaurant into the ground. This one was on the way. Gordon brought in someone he dubbed "The Top Mexican chef in New York" for the relaunch, yet even while she was running it, the staff managed to set a plate of Nachos on fire.

We knew the place was doomed.

We looked it up online. After someone was arrested for assult, and another person arrested for a stabbing, the place closed permanently for not filing taxes.
  • edited 2012-02-01 01:48:59
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...an aside, but why do the Simpsons GIFs I've seen have KCPQ's logo in the corner?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    @CA, Thats why I prefer the original version
  • It's very sad when I see how over-dramatised his shows have become as they've moved to the States, ESPECIALLY in the case of Hell's Kitchen.  In all honesty, any TV reality series becomes ludicrous and scripted as of its second season.  It's the nature of the industry.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    However, it is weird that BBC America shows some non-BBC shows

(Yes I know that Channel 4 is part funded from license fees)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Whale: I understand it's not run directly by the BBC, but by Discovery Communications (I forget if it's a joint venture or simply a license). So the programming choices tend to be "oh hey, it's British, stick it on" rather than all BBC, all the time.
  • You know, I find it kinda embarrassing living in the US that Gordon Ramsay can be considered as being from the same country as me (originally English).  He has a foul mouth and gets away with treating people like crap. Then I have to point out that he's Scottish and that Scots are very different to the English.  Then I will shut up so as to avoid upsetting anyone.
  • Hey, what's wrong with the Scottish?
    ^^^I think Discovery distributes it, and BBC Worldwide (the BBC's commercial arm) actually runs it.
  • All I'm saying is if Gordon was Welsh, he'd be buying his contestants a pint every episode.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    >He has a foul mouth and gets away with treating people like crap.

So traditionally, he'd not only be English, he'd be running the place.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

There's a site the that discussed what happens to the restaurants after he visits...

It's pretty depressing. Though, I think that's just the nature of the restaurant business. Some of the places that where sold or closed after he visited happened a year or two after he was there.