PTA Main

edited 2012-01-28 13:12:07 in Roleplay & Games
The beach in Cherrygrove City was bustling with activity as young trainers arrived to pick out their first Pokemon, having chosen to adopt instead of get a new one from New Bark Town

All sorts of young Pokemon were available at the drive, with older ones elsewhere for more experienced trainers to choose from. Nurse Joy had troubles getting the trainers to line up and take turns.
Tagged:

Comments

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Ryan Blake, an aspiring Pokémon Researcher from Azalea Town, had just arrived at the beach where the adoption drive was held. Like most of the other trainers, he was there to adopt a Pokémon for the Johto Pokémon League Gym challenge. He was amazed when he saw the crowds of people waiting in their places. "Wow. I didn't think such a small town could get this packed," he said to himself.

Ryan walked slowly along the beach as he went over his plans in his head. He still wanted a Bulbasaur, since that was one of his favorite Pokémon. In fact, this opportunity to see and adopt one of these Grass Pokémon was the entire reason he came to Cherrygrove. Since he was attempting the Gym challenge for the first time, he didn't need one that had a lot of battle experience. A younger Bulbasaur would suit him well enough.

Unfortunately, he was having trouble seeing the Bulbasaur breeders through the crowd. Suddenly, he saw the Pokémon Center nurse. in front of a line of people. She seemed to be one of the staff members of the event, so Ryan decided to take a spot and the end of the line and ask her where the Bulbasaur were when she had a free moment.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The line moved slowly. Eventually Ryan was able to see Bulbasaur breeders nearby, and their supply was running out fast as other trainers who were there earlier got to pick first

Eventually it was Ryan's turn. Nurse Joy smiled, her Chansey beside her. "May I see your license?"
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    "All right. Here it is," Ryan answered. He pulled his trainer cared out of his pocket and made a polite smile as he handed it to the Nurse. He glanced over at the Bulbasaur breeders. Although there weren't many left, he was happy to see that the Pokémon he wanted was still there after the long wait.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Nurse Joy smiled as she looked it over. "Alright then, go ahead and choose whatever Pokemon you'd like!" she cheerfully told the trainer as she handed the card back

Chansey walked up to Ryan and lead him to the breeder tables. One for every one of the 15 starters plus a table for Pokemon who were abandoned, all arranged in four rows of four tables each
    As Ryan saw all of the adoption tables more clearly, he was surprised to see that Bulbasaur and Chikorita weren't the only Grass Pokémon being offered. There were three others that he had never seen in person. He was curious to learn more about them, but at the same time, he knew he had to stick to his priorities. This was his best chance to get the Pokémon he was looking forward to so much.

Ryan turned away from the other Grass Pokémon and walked up to the Bulbasaur table, waiting for one of the breeders.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    A breeder came up. "Oh, you want a Bulbasaur too? They're really popular!" He laughed a bit. "Glad to see that People aren't going for the dragon like Pokemon for once!"
    Ryan thought it couldn't hurt to chat with the breeder a bit before starting their transaction. "Oh, yeah! Charmander, right?" he said, glancing toward the orange Fire Pokémon nearby. "Yeah, they do look pretty cool, but I've always been a bigger fan of Grass Pokémon. Bulbasaur's one of my favorites, actually."
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    "Well, Charmander is one of the ones trainers usually flock to. They also seem to like Totodile, Treecko, and Snivy a lot"

He laughed a little. "When they first shipped those Unova starters here a few years back, trainers pretty much swarmed those tables!"
    Ah, Snivy. I thought that was what their name was, Ryan thought, remembering the serpentine Grass Pokémon he saw.

"Hmm. I wonder why they started importing Pokémon from Unova? I mean, this is a pretty big event, but I wouldn't have expected an overseas trip for the Pokémon adoptees to be a part of it."
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    "Well, Treecko is shipped from Hoenn and Chimchar is shipped from Sinnoh. They seem to make the trip fairly well"

He smiled. "At least only starters had to be shipped. Other Pokemon species seem perfectly capable of migrating here on their own!"
  • The Pokemon Center's front door slid open, and a tall girl wearing a purple tanktop shuffled in. Her lavender hair covered her right eye. Blue, interestingly.

She bypassed the line entirely, going directly to the local Nurse Joy.

"E-excuse me? I'm here to pick up my Pokemon. From the PC System? A Litwick. Responds to Sebastian."

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The nurse smiled. "Oh, well the PCs are over there, by the waiting area. I can show you there if you'd like"
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Nurse Joy came out from behind the counter and lead the trainer to the PCs. The waiting area had a few trainers, some eating, some talking, but all waiting for their companions to heal up. She brought the girl to a semicircle of PCs in a little aclove. Each PC was a monitor embedded in the wall, with a small counter in front with a keyboard and mouse. Each PC had a number on it. In the center were tubes, opened in the side, with all sorts of machinery over them. The tubes were also numbered

"Just log in with your trainer ID and password, and select your Pokemon to withdraw. The ball will appear in the tube that matches the PC"
  • "I see..thank you."

With that, the girl sat down and quietly got to work withdrawing her Pokemon.

Several minutes later, a red Pokeball was deposited from the tube.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Joy smiled. "If you're looking for something to do, you could go to the beach. Not only is an adoption drive going on there, but you could get some supplies and advice there"

She then turned around. "If you need me again, I'll be behind my counter"
  • "Thank you." 

The girl fiddled with her Pokeball, and after a moment, the small, candle-shaped form of a Litwick popped out of it. It cheerfully chirped its name.

"Hello, Sebastian."

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Joy walked off to the counter so she could continue to help trainers out
    Ryan continued to talk to the breeder. "Yeah, I've noticed that lately. There's a lot more than just Johto's usual wildlife around Azalea Town for some reason."

But Ryan decided it would be best not to pursue that topic for much longer. He didn't want to slow things down too much. "Anyhow, can I see one of your Bulbasaur?"
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    "Sure, just give me one minute..."

He brought out 5 different Bulbasaurs, all with different temperments. "Feel free to choose whichever one you'd like"

Each Bulbasaur had its Pokeball in front of it
    Ryan watched the Bulbasaur's behavior as closely as he could. He knew that temperament was important in how easily a Pokémon could be cared for and what kind of attention they would need. Ryan had thought about this extensively the night before coming to Cherrygrove. He decided a Bulbasaur with a very mild temperament would be the best for him, but a more modest, quiet, patient, or docile one would work just as well.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The breeder waited for the choice to be made
    Finally, Ryan was finished watching the Bulbasaur. Luckily, the second one from the left, which appeared to be a female, happened to have just the mild temperament he was looking for. "I'd like this one, if that's all right," Ryan said to the breeder, pointing to the Bulbasaur he wanted and then reaching for her Poké Ball.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The breeder smiled and checked off something on a piece of paper. "Alright, just hand me your Pokedex and the ball and I'll register the Bulbasaur in your name"
    "All right, then," Ryan said happily, giving the breeder the items he requested. "And is it all right if I come up with a name right here?"

Ryan remembered the night before, when he thought about names. He realized that he must have been very thirsty when he decided on the name he wanted for a female Bulbasaur, because he was thinking about chamomile tea as a source for a name. Fortunately, from "chamomile," it was easy enough to puzzle out a more suitable name.

"I think I'd like to call her Cammy."
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The breeder put in the information and handed both ball and Pokedex back to Ryan. "Well I hope you enjoy Cammy!"

A man bumped Ryan away as soon as the Pokedex and ball were in his hands
    Jeez, what was that all about? Ryan thought as he left the table. The bump didn't hurt him, of course, but it caught him off guard. He tried to take his mind off of the brusque man and onto his new friend as he walked around the beach. He looked at his new Poké Ball to make sure Cammy was safely inside. Seeing the Bulbasaur sleeping peacefully, Ryan decided to check with the nurse at the entrance to see if there was anything else he needed to do before he left.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The Nurse looked a little panicked, muttering under her breath about something. "...Egg gone missing... Not good..."
    Ryan noticed the nurse's distress and decided that it would be best if he at least asked if he could help. "Excuse me, miss. Is something the matter?"
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Nurse Joy looked up. "Oh, oh no! Nothing at all!"

(It's not giving much information on checks, so I'll have to make an assumption for now. Roll 1d20 and add your Charisma modifier)
    (All right, then. Here goes...)

(5? Ouch! And my CHA modifier is 0, so...)
  • edited 2012-01-28 19:27:51
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    (You got lucky. She rolled a 3)

Ryan caught onto the lie immediately. It wasn't too hard, with how nervous Joy was acting. Something was clearly bothering her
    Ryan offered his help again, but he tried to ask politely so as not to disturb Nurse Joy.

"No, it's all right, really. If you need any help, it wouldn't be a problem at all. You seem a little stressed."
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Joy sighed. "...Well... You could deliver a message to the nurse back at the center... Can you please tell her that the Manaphy egg was stolen?"
    Ryan could see why the nurse was so nervous. He was already starting to get a little worried about the stolen egg. "All right, then. Don't worry. I'll go there right away."

But at the same time, Ryan started to wonder about the Pokémon in the egg. Manaphy wasn't a name he had heard very often, and he couldn't remember off the top of his head what exactly it was. However, he thought it best not to dwell too much on it and focus on getting the message to the Pokémon Center as soon as possible.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The Pokemon center was only a brief run away, thankfully. The Nurse was at the counter... And looked strikingly similar to the one on the beach
    "Oh, excuse me, miss," Ryan said quickly, raising his voice slightly to make sure he could be heard. "I'm here to give you a message from your co-worker at the adoption fair."
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The nurse smiled at Ryan. "Oh? What's the message?"
    Ryan nervously took a deep breath. "The Manaphy egg they were keeping has been stolen," he answered, this time not as loudly in case anyone happened to be eavesdropping.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The nurse's face went pale as she heard this. "...Oh no..."

She shook her head. "No no no no no... This is really bad! Look, if you see the egg, please report it to us and the police. It is blue with a ring of yellow dots along the top and a red yolk"
    Ryan nodded. "All right, then. I'll keep an eye out for it."

He was glad to hear the description of the egg. It was certainly familiar, now that he thought about it, although he still didn't remember much about Manaphy. This must be a pretty important Pokémon if it's got the nurses this worked up, he thought. He went over to sit at an empty bench where he could check on Cammy.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The nurse continued her work, panicked
  • It wasn't all that difficult for Violet to pick up on the panic in the air.

People gave off mental static any time they were conscious, and the static grew louder when they were anxious. Someone was anxious, but it was impossible to tell who or why.

Sebastian fidgeted. "So you sense it too...."

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Nurse Joy made a few calls and swore under her breath. "Dammit don't they know how important this egg is?"

She looked over at Ryan and Violet. "Uh... I could use a LITTLE assistance, if you wouldn't mind?"
  • "Um. Certainly. What with, ma'm?"

Sebastian hovered near Violet's shoulder.

Ryan had released Cammy from her Poké Ball and was giving her a reassuring pat on the head when he heard the Pokémon Center nurse calling. "I think we'd better help her out. Come on, Cammy, let's go see what we can do."

Cammy gave an approving nod and walked alongside Ryan to the counter.

"All right, then," Ryan said to Nurse Joy. "What do you need?"
  • edited 2012-01-28 22:57:23
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Joy looked at the trainers. "The police are making it low priority, but they don't understand how important this egg is. It is the egg of a legendary Pokemon named Manaphy. I need you two to go back to the beach, find out who took the egg, and get it back as soon as possible"

She sighed. "I know it's a lot to heap on to you, but you must understand that this Pokemon is very rare and we can't lose it"
  • "Well..." Violet glanced over at Sebastian. They had done some light training in the past, but he was not really a battling Pokemon. Still, petty thieves would not be difficult to deal with, would they?

"Alright. I'll go, at least. I cannot speak for him, however." Violet indicated the other trainer.

Seeing the girl standing beside him accept the task, Ryan felt a little more confident. "I'm starting to get worried about this egg, too. I'd be happy to help, especially since I have a partner."

He looked toward Cammy. "Well, looks like we have a job to do already, don't we?" he said to her.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Joy smiled. "Thank you! Now you'd better hurry. The longer you take the less likely we'll get the egg back!"