In which I post comic pages

Comments

• edited 2016-03-07 09:07:44
    kill living beings

Yamada, Yoshihiro. (2005). Hyouge Mono. (Oresama Translations, trans.). Bunkyō, Tokyo: Kodansha.

this comic is outside norms. it is a serious historical drama about the Azuchi-Momoyama period, but also about this guy, who is a tremendous nerd in a completely alien way

edit: clumsily removed spoiler, insofar as something that happened in the sixteenth century can be spoiled
  • ^ Oh hey, Hyouge Mono. Glad someone else is read it. Furata Sasuke is such a fun viewpoint character to follow. Also, this manga gets serious props in my book for actually including Yasuke, who is normally forgotten whenever someone does a manga that has Nobunaga.
  • edited 2016-03-07 18:19:34
    kill living beings
    it seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on the jesuits and western intervention and all, given the one dude's stupid outfit here, and nobunaga occasionally dressing up in anachronistic european ceremonial armor
  • edited 2016-03-25 22:10:59
    kill living beings
    would that we all thought as well as socrates, here.

Tana, Kanoka. (2010). Petite philosophie. (Lucia Rose, trans.) Chiyoda, Tokyo: Mag Garden.

the last page of this chapter has a quote from kropotkin...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kropotkin! :3
  • kill living beings
    very nyarly demon summoner decides to torment a girl because she's nice. kind of nice.

also, i think the author has a good annotated copy of the goetia, because i don't know what half of these are

Numa, Shun. (2015). Samon the Summoner. (Crossbreed Scans, trans.) Chiyoda, Tokyo: Shueisha.
  • kill living beings
    tohojin

nuebaku. "Spell Break". flandre (destroy anything) fights koishi (fifty five with a gun). "Her eyes were like empty holes"

inuinui. "Narakagok Destination". "narakagok" = "naraka" + "jigoku". satori trolls a death god.
    yokochou. "Chen's Story". Ran violates the nuremburg code.
    Kamereon. "The End of Maiden's Illusion". Reimu gets owned by the inexorable passage of time. "It looks like we're about to reach our destination.
    totaku. "So Tonight I'll Overlook It". Sakuya totally fucks up set and setting.
    moyashi seizoujo. "Wakasagihime's Dream". waggsaggy finds this shit.
    chameleon. "TENKO!" tenko gets owned by the entire cast. "At that moment, the hearts of the people at the Hakurei Shrine became one. 'I want to hug this girl.'"

i like these fan comix. the art on the first and third are, e.g., janky, but the plots are janky enough to make up for it, you know?
  • "So Tonight I'll Overlook It" AKA "Sakuya gets fucking high as shit"
  • kill living beings
    wow jokethievery

also kamereon is chameleon wow

wow

fucking weebs
  • kill living beings
    Tsukumizu. (2014). Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure. (Nekyou.net, trans.) Shinjuku, Tokyo: Shinchosa.

two girls with a half-track wander around the Megastructure finding food. they talk more than Killy does though.
  • kill living beings
    it's a show about nothing!
  • edited 2016-04-17 06:45:29
    kill living beings
    imageUrasawa, Naoki. (2008). Billy Bat. (Offtopia & Manga Underground, trans.) Bunkyō, Tokyo: Kodansha.

as you can see from this page of Billy Bat, Billy Bat is a story loved even by spooks and hardened outlaws

(also urasawa is the best comicker alive)
  • kill living beings
    if you haven't read urasawa you 've made a mistake
  • My dreams exceed my real life

if you haven't read urasawa you 've made a mistake

• kill living beings
    bonus:
  • kill living beings
    me shopping for clothes (after a horrific transformation into a small gay anime)

Sato, Yoshimi. (2008). Transistor Teaset. (Horobi no Michi, trans.) Somewhere, Tokyo: Houbunsha.
  • edited 2016-05-07 16:35:50
    kill living beings
    on the bright side, real estate is real cheap. I got myself a nice summer home in the sixth layer.

(also, yes, the text is kind of unfortunately colored here)

T(s)ukushi, Akihito. (2012). Made in Abyss. (Fashionably Late Releases, trans.) Somewhere, Tokyo: Takeshobo.
    Tsukumizu. (2014). Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure. (Nekyou.net, trans.) Shinjuku, Tokyo: Shinchosa.

two girls with a half-track wander around the Megastructure finding food. they talk more than Killy does though.

I started reading this and doing so makes me sad :(
  • kill living beings
    i hope my description did not mislead you or nuthin
  • edited 2016-05-18 23:29:55
    kill living beings
    Kasai, Sui. (2009). Gisèle Alain. (4dawgz, trans.) Tokyo, Japan: Enterbrain.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I like this girl and I like this comic.
  • "have an good day"
  • kill living beings
    the context for that is a lesbian rejecting a dude hitting on her, which is actually pretty close to the comic so
  • edited 2016-05-26 00:26:44
    kill living beings
    Foglio, K., Foglio, P., & Wright, C. (2016). Girl Genius. http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

i'm not even sure why, but i am totally in love with evil german ninja grandma's bored bone ignition face
  • kill living beings
    when you get in a flamewar over  someone's sci-fi touhou fanfiction but you don't know each other well so all of your cutting insults are kind of nonsensical

Takishima, Asaka. (2012). The Blue-Eyed Material. (CXC Scans, trans.) Somewhere, Tokyo: Takeshobo.
  • wait is that actually what this comic is about
  • kill living beings
    nah, but it's original sci-fi by someone whose other comics are pretty much all touhou

it got canceled, which is a shame, because jelly people are underrepresented
  • kill living beings
    blame is so good you guys. blame is so good you nonguys. cibo here is mai waifu. doesn't give a fuck about being a dogbot or walls exploding. killed like a million people in her research on oculus games. an inspiration. so good. i need a physical copy to look at all the pretty pictures you guynonguys.

Nihei, Tsutomu. (1997). Blame! (Habanero Scans, trans.) Bunkyō, Tokyo: Kodansha.

this is actually from a short comic in knights of sidonia blu-rays or something but who cares.

knights of sidonia is also pretty good. it's later and way more mainstream though, which is good because it makes more actual sense and is better drawn, but bad because it is inexplicably a harem setup and because i want to say things like "way more mainstream" that make me sound like a tool.
  • Blame! is one of those things I am forever "meaning to read" and I never actually do.
  • kill living beings
    those two panels have more dialogue in them than the ten volumes of blame combined so you can rip through the comic pretty fast
  • edited 2016-06-03 03:06:18
    kill living beings
    Nakamura, Yuuhi. (2013). Weekly Shonen Girl. (Aoitenshi and WSG Scans, trans.) Bunkyō, Tokyo: Kodansha.

buncha surreal vignettes that are also romcoms SORT OF LIKE NOBEL PRIZE WINNING NOVEL,
  • why is she senpai-ing over a volleyball
  • edited 2016-06-06 23:06:54
    kill living beings
    this is a korean comic meant for phones, so finding a scene i can post without going several pages isn't happening. so here's a priest.

Jongkyu, L, and Rigeng. (2016). House of Dolls. Not sure which Korean webcomic publisher.

It's not about literal dolls, but rather about a glamorous lady who spills a lot of blood. so @crystal wouldn't be interested at all.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Absolutely. To think such a thing as within my interests is incomprehensible.
  • kill living beings
    Takamichi. (2013). Million Tatami Labyrinth. (Sling, trans.) Somewhere, Japan: Shōnen Gahōsha.

this is the real problem with Portal perpetual motion machines
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-11 00:20:35
    I thought the real problem was violating conservative gravitational fields through vaguely connected discontinuities.
  • kill living beings
    Gravitoelectromagnetism l o l
  • edited 2016-07-24 18:45:31
    kill living beings
    was mew research team, but my tablet fucked it all up
  • edited 2016-07-24 18:44:46
    kill living beings

Hanazawa, Kengo. (2009). I Am A Hero. (Mango Scans, trans.) Chiyoda, Tokyo: Shogakukan.

A while ago I read Ressentiment which was this weirdo thing about a gross loser who starts playing an MMO and bla bla AI bla bla stuff, and despite the premise sounding bad, it was good. Just... Outside the usual anime personality constructs.

Now the same author is doing a zombie thing and like, meh zombies, but the same basic depiction of people is the same. This is probably not going to be survivalist fantasy.

Also the zombies are Tarman-level gross despite being pretty vanilla (not cordyceps or new things like that, I mean)
  • My brother really liked that manga. (I have no idea if he still reads it though.)
  • kill living beings
    i am a hero has gone to unexpected places

Spoiler:

nice designs though

(the theme of survivalists being dickheads continues unabated)
  • kill living beings
    Ichikawa, Haruko. (2012). Kingdom of Gems. (Habanero Scans, trans.) Bunkyō, Tokyo: Kodansha.

it is Literally Steven Universe down to the gems being weird clamp people rather than distinctly gendered
  • kill living beings
    Abe, Youichi. (2013). Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru. (Namakubi, trans.) Bunkyō, Tokyo: Kodansha.

normally i can't condone squid violence, but i have to admit that this is solid (the squid is not solid, it is an invertebrate)
    Ichikawa, Haruko. (2012). Kingdom of Gems. (Habanero Scans, trans.) Bunkyō, Tokyo: Kodansha.

it is Literally Steven Universe down to the gems being weird clamp people rather than distinctly gendered

remember when I tried to get everyone into this and no one would read it

I am still mildly salty about that