Crash course on how to set up GNU screen (primarily for @Crystal but maybe useful for others???)

When you first start up, instead of just immediately starting irssi or whatever, run screen.

It'll give a welcome screen, just press Enter or whatever.

When you're in screen, you can type, say, screen irssi, and it'll run irssi in a new screen window.

To actually do things in screen, you press Control-A and then a letter or whatever.  Doing it with a number will send you to that number window.  Left and right will send you left and right.  Pressing control-A again will send you to the last window, a harmless thing if you forget whether or not you pressed control-A.

Pressing d after control-A will detach your screen window, which means it'll be saved even though you're not looking at it.  If you've detached screen, or PuTTY died because it lost your connection, you can type in screen -x and it'll bring back your detached shit.

This is probably not that different from a bunch of other GNU screen tutorials and shit but w/e.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What is GNU Screen?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    It's a program that lets you run multiple terminal windows from a single terminal/SSH session/etc.  It also lets you "detach" windows from one terminal session and run them in another, makes them not crash if you lose your connection, etc.  I use it myself.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Thank you!!
    oh right this. gosh.
  • you know I'm pretty unixy but I never did manage to figure out what is a screen so this was kinda halfway helpful to me

not that I think I have any reason to use it for anything

you know I'm pretty unixy but I never did manage to figure out what is a screen so this was kinda halfway helpful to me

not that I think I have any reason to use it for anything

Well if you used ssh to get into irc then it would be useful for you
  • yeah but why would I do that
    you're me
    yes
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    i used screen all the time back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, back when I did everything on a server at my house and "cloud" services either didn't exist or were geared to Windows users.