General Religion, Mythology, and occult talk

Comments

• I keep hear various things about Slavic Neopaganism, which seems to become popular enough to be noticed, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_Neopaganism , but as these guys are nationalistic to the extreme I have no interest in them
  • [A Rapture Ready poster speculating about what duties they will have in heaven post-rapture.]

think about it...we're gathered around His Throne Jerusalem,
    decked out in our new glorified bodies, worshiping, singing,
    dancing...flying around(?)

then our King Yeshua calls out a few saints in the temple and
    says.."you, you and you; there is a woman about to be decieved in x
    location! Take my gospel to her and take care of those decieving spirits
    aswell! then SHOOOO we take off and appear saying "We are the children
    of the Most High! The King of Heaven and Earth, Yeshua has sent us to
    you with the Knowledge of His Saving Grace!" then the other Saints take
    their Swords and blast those decieving spirits back to the Abyss.

there's my story. how do y'all see us operating in the Kingdom? just imagine! share your thoughts!
    I can't get over how juvenile these people are. God is not going to turn you into fucking magic superheroes.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    think about it...we're gathered around His Throne Jerusalem, 
    decked out in our new glorified bodies, worshiping, singing, 
    dancing...flying around(?)

SOMEONE NEEDS TO TELL THEM ABOUT HOMESTUCK :lol:

Seriously, though, that sort of thing only happens in fiction. You'd likely be doing grunt work of some sort.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I always assumed the 144,000 people that where in the rapture (or the uncountable ones, whatever...)would be taking part in some sort of Celestial Bureaucracy. At least that's what it sounded like those passages where alluding too, that those people would help.

Also, if this is post rapture, I'd imagine Earth would be embroiled in some sort of Apocalyptic war, so the idea that God would be sending people done to play "shoulder Angel" seems pretty silly in that context. 

• I'm just kinda...incensed that there are actual adults who think God is basically Zordon and will turn them into his holy Power Rangers. Grow up!
  • No, God's Penis is not a biological organ. I never said God's
    Penis was the same as man's penis. Obviously it wouldn't be. That is why
    I pointed out God has a Holy, Righteous Penis. That is to say, it's not
    the same as man's corrupted, fleshy one.

As I said when this subject first came up, once again: Penises
    are not just for sex & peeing. It is only because man is evil that
    he thinks of penises exclusively in those terms.

Man is made in the image of God the Father. That is the primary reason why man has a penis.

You cannot insert your evil prejudicial ideas of man's penis
    onto God - which is exactly what you are doing. God's Penis is not equal
    to man's penis. It's really not hard to understand.

This has to be a parody.

But, if the mere fact that I can produce from my thought the idea of something that entails everything that I clearly and distinctly perceive to belong to that thing really does belong to it, is not this a possible basis for another argument to prove the existence of God's penis? Certainly, the idea of God's penis, or a supremely perfect wang, is one that I find within me just as surely as the idea of any shape or member. 
    —Descartes
  • If I were going to be religious I'd worship a goddess. Comes much more naturally to me.
  • Why would you worship only one, female superhuman being?

(Monotheism doesn't make much sense unless you're talking about *God*, the Supreme Being or Being Itself.)

I don't think it's all that uncommon to believe in multiple gods, but only worship one. Seems lots of Greek gods and goddess had a cult at one time or another.
  • Yeah, what do you think I am, some kind of theological slut? :P
  • edited 2012-02-03 03:58:22
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ *raises hand* I do that, kinda.

>Why would you worship only one, female superhuman being?

I don't understand this question.  Can you elaborate on why you wouldn't do such a thing?

(I don't feel I can make enough definite ontological statements to determine that Being warrants or merits worship.)
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Don't Hindus have a god of the household thingy?
  • ^^ What do you mean?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @Whale In Hinduism, all the gods are thought to have sprung from Brahman, the Supreme Being (Rott correct me if this is wrong), but it's definitely true that many people have a particular preferred deity.

@Idler Which bit?
  • edited 2012-02-03 04:07:46
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^^I'm not aware of Hindu's having a household God. Unless you're thinking of Agni. His name comes up in a lot of rituals being a fire god and the one the accepts offerings. Though Agni is invoked in everyone's rituals, pretty much.

Hindus do tend to focus on a specific god in their worship, if I'm not mistaken

Household deities are popular in many other religions, though.
  • What specifically is your religion, I mean.
    Justice, I mean a shrine to a god in their household. Not a god of the house in literal terms
  • edited 2012-02-03 04:10:45

Yes, many Hindu households would likely have a shrine to a specific deity or deities. 
    ^^^ Don't really belong to one, though practicing Methodist Christian.  I don't know of a religion that accurately represents my beliefs.
  • Ah, right. What are your beliefs, then?
  • edited 2012-02-03 04:14:36

^^ * Awkward "lets celebrate our beliefs inability to be easily catagorized" fist-bump *

• No - the Paeolithic Man was one of three versions of man that were
    experimental predecessors to Adam. They did not have souls. This was
    "Research and Development".
    So God is basically just some crappy tinkerer?
  • edited 2012-02-03 04:41:54
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well, I believe that anyone or anything worshipped as a god can reasonably be described as such.  I guess I'm agnostic about the bodily existence of most of them.

God (who may or may not be Being and may or may not be the same individual who is described in the Bible) is perfect, and that's why She* commands my worship.

*equally He; the specific pronoun is arbitrary when applied to God

and *awkward Justice brofist*

>So God is basically just some crappy tinkerer?

Not very impressive, but at least it isn't "Satan put the bones there".
  • I would actually sooner believe in a god who was not omni-everything than one who was. The idea that I'm being watched by a deity all the time creeps me out.
    Blame Adam and Eve.

Many people who believe God is omnipresent don't really see Him as a person, as such, so the same standards don't really apply.  For those that do, I guess He's not a stranger.

I find the ideas of omnipotence and omnibenevolence difficult to reconcile.
  • Kent Hovind is an unfortunate man who has become a victim of Satan's greatest weapon...the law
    Is there anything that isn't somehow Satanic to these people?
  • I don't understand how a person can even live in a world where absolutely everything is the work of Satan. It must get so exhausting. They need therapy.
    Oddly, that reminds me of Gnosticism.  You know, how they believed that matter itself was harmful and wrong.
  • I just wonder what these people get out of even being alive, when their insane beliefs forbid them from doing anything enjoyable because it's somehow of Satan. It's like they lead a nonexistence.
    Some of them are probably very unhappy people.
  • Indeed. As crazy and douchey as they tend to be, part of me does feel sorry for them.
    I bet most people who use FSTDT are Calvinists.
  • By now I don't think that I'd be capable of belief even if I've seen religion/interpretation of religion that matches my preferences. Because I am all too aware that in this  case my preferences would still come first. So I'm not sure if I can sincerely believe even in the things I like - especially in the things I like.
    In three sentences why I became an atheist:

1) I've always wanted to be just like Madelyn O'Hare

2) I've always thought Stalin was misunderstood

3) The thought of abortion makes me happy

Captain, set phasers to fail
  • I only found out about Madelyn O'Hair recently, and I'm pretty sure her murder inspired an episode of Criminal Intent.
    Hitler wanted Germany (and possibly the rest of Europe) to be Islamic.
    The Leftists in Europe are fulfilling his dream. With America
    continually becoming more and more and more Euro-peon-ized that may
    happen here.

"I find the ideas of omnipotence and omnibenevolence difficult to reconcile."

"Benevolence" is pretty insanely open as a term. 

I tend to understand it in terms of a "benevolent ruler" and possibly "benevolent father figure" as opposed to "s/he is benevolent in every possible sense of the word". Particularly because if one looks at how often "benevolence" gets thrown around in Confucianism for different people, it would be impossible to be say...the most benevolent ruler, most benevolent son, most benevolent wife to all people at all times.
  • I never announce what religion I am ever. People always make assumptions. "Oh hey, you are an X? I read about some crazy fucks that are X, here, let me treat you badly solely because well, you are affiliated with them."

So then I became a Modern Hynerian.
  • edited 2012-02-03 14:45:57

I don't like when people do it online for the most part.

They're usually only bothering if you're having a discussion or argument with them and it feels disingenuous. 

Sorta like they're only asking so they can tell you why they think what you believe in is wrong.
    "Benevolence" is pretty insanely open as a term.

I tend to understand it in terms of a "benevolent ruler" and possibly "benevolent father figure" as opposed to "s/he is benevolent in every possible sense of the word". Particularly because if one looks at how often "benevolence" gets thrown around in Confucianism for different people, it would be impossible to be say...the most benevolent ruler, most benevolent son, most benevolent wife to all people at all times.
    True.  And I do mean difficult, not that it's impossible.
  • I shudder when I think of the things Satan is going do do to [Kathy Griffin] with that Emmy once she is in hell.
    Sure, "shudder". Riiiiight...

• Man, you really must love to jack-off... are you trying to find
    every bit of way to justify this nasty habbit? I went down that route
    before, I tried to find every possible way to justify that smoking is
    ok. Turns out that I found a demon that was causing me to smoke...
    sounds like to me that you have a terrible "jacking-off demon" in you.
    Quit deffering yourself from what's true. Do you want me to cast out
    that demon for you?
    ...is this a come-on?

One must wonder if this person regards these demons as fallen angles or not...

Either way, it must suck to find out all the good sins are already taken, and you're assigned "smoking" or "jacking-off" as what you're going to be responsible for.

I guess the smoking demon at least has an impressive kill count, I'd imagine a "jacking-off" demon sees no end of shit at the local demon pub. 
  • edited 2012-02-04 17:53:23
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-02-04 17:51:51
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    There should be a demon of ridiculously poor spelling and grammar if there isn't already.