Post What You're Listening To

edited 2015-06-05 09:45:27 in General
cuz why not, every forum should have one.

feel free to comment on songs being listened to too (including your own if you want), but you must post what you are listening to at the time

format's Arist - Song

MF DOOM & King Ghidra - Red & Gold

Comments

• Danny Brown - Don't Give A....

no idea who the other dude on this song is. He's really generic.
  • A$AP Rocky - Better Things 

Curren$y featuring Jean la Phare & Dee Low - Blown Away

Brenda Fassie - Quala

Brenda's a South African pop singer, sometimes compared to Madonna though tbh I think Madonna ought to be the flattered one there. She was popular during the apartheid era as I understand it.

Lil Keke - Pimp Tha Pen (Chopped & Screwed)

J Dilla - Last Donut of The Night

Joe Pass - A Time For Us

this is a laidback soul-ish thing. It's from a breakbeat compilation I have.

Madlib - Indian Deli

J Dilla - Glamor Sho75

yeah that's a Dilla song with leetspeak in the title.

BlackStar (Mos Def x Talib Kweli) featuring Vinia Mojica - KOS (Determination)

I love the way the sample crackles on this track.

Pink Kokane - Bawss

one of my own tracks was bound to come up eventually

Bola Sette - Bettina

more stuff from that breakbeats comp (it's several volumes) though this is more lite jazz than anything

J Dilla - Stop

Mojave Music - Lost in C....ouds

I have my whole library on shuffle, don't blame me. I actually kinda can't stand this song anymore (nor most of my Mojave Music output sans the track of the same name and "Pipes of Astra-Khan")

Luxury Elite - Concierge

if vaporwave is ever considered enough by critics and the public at large to have a codified set of legends, Lux Elite The Queen will be up there next to St. Pepsi and MacPlus as one of them.

Denzel Curry featuring Yung Simmie & Rob Bank$ - Threatz

The album that this is from (Nostalgic 64) is probably the best in its very specific subgenre of 90s Memphis-referencing, amateurishly menacing rap (most heavily associated with Raider Klxn which Curry was a part of). "Bumping Waka Flocka Flame in an underwater tank" indeed. Also Bank$ raps about fucking his girlfriend in a snuggie which has to be a first.

Earl Sweatshirt featuring Frank Ocean - Sunday

Aesop Rock - Tetra

Aes is not a punchline rapper but "wore the same hoodie every day like Mumm-Ra" is a good punchline.

Blahzay Blahzay - Posse Jumpah

Blahzay Blahzay are one of tons and tons and tons of largely forgotten 90s New York rap acts. Detritus of the Golden Age but as far as it goes this is some pretty good stuff.

Camp Lo - Mean Joe

Warren G f. Mr. Malik - What's Next

MF DOOM & Count Bass D - Potholderz

King Geedorah f. MF DOOM - The Final HouK

Camp Lo - Power Man

Grandemarshall - Yerp!

• edited 2015-06-05 13:16:06
    kill living beings
    a fan

I guess it's just part of central air. every so often it shifts to hit the edge and briefly makes a repetitive clicking sound before kicking itself off the wall. this happens with a period of anywhere from less than a second to over thirty seconds, and the clicking usually lasts about two seconds but can go up to say twenty.

I can also hear people shifting in beds at totally irregular intervals.
  • some combination of Tata Young's "Sexy Naughty Bitchy" and DKC1's "Minecart Madness"
  • edited 2015-06-05 12:34:15
    And now, with a change of mood, it's the title screen theme from Aquaria.
  • edited 2015-06-05 13:06:56
    and since Aquaria's music tends to run together a bit (a side effect of a certain design objective), now i am thinking of the Mithalas ruins theme

(note that this and the previous two posts did not involve me actulaly playing anything from my speakers -- it was all music going on in my head)

edit: and now it's the mithalas cathedral theme

edit: the strings in that have made me think of "Nature" from eXceed 1

and now it's back to Sexy Naughty Bitchy
  • edited 2015-06-05 13:31:39
    some other track from Aquaria.  the forest boss track, I think.  yeah.

you guys are terrible at this

wait, what am i supposed to do?  i (seriously) don't get it.
  • some other track from Aquaria.  the forest boss track, I think.  yeah.

you guys are terrible at this

wait, what am i supposed to do?  i (seriously) don't get it.
    what is there to get you are supposed to post what song(s) you're listening to and comment on them if you want

Nitya posted "a fan" (HAHAHAHAHA it's funny because that's not a song) and you don't actually know the artists who made what you're listening to

fuck I just want a simple thread for us to possibly share some neat songs with each other not everything has to be couched in 55 layers of irony or some kind of weird joke, there is nothing to get, I described exactly the thread's purpose in the opening post and if you're not interested just don't post in it and let it die a natural death.

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
  • edited 2015-06-05 13:51:40
    I _do_ know what artists made the stuff I was listening to:
    * Well, I don't know Tata Young.  I only got that name from a Youtube vid.
    * Dave Wise and others worked on Donkey Kong Country.  Wise is probably the most famous of the bunch, but I think Robin Beanland may have helped him with the DKC1 soundtrack.  The track itself is a compound-time higher-stress remix of the main DKC "Jungle Hijinx" theme.
    * The soundtrack of Aquaria was done by Alec Holowka, who specifically wrote the soundtrack to be tonally and motivically coherent (or repetitive, if you're not in the mood for it) -- most tracks are in D minor / F major, in order to accommodate a chanting-based game mechanic.  Most of the tracks are in 4 time, as well.  And many do in fact share one common leitmotif, though it's not always hugely prominent.  But due to these similarities, they DO tend to bleed into each other mentally.  I've only listened to one other OST by Alec Holowka, for Crayon Physics Deluxe, and it has a similarly ambient/melodic/"pretty" sound to it.
    * Okay, I'm also not familiar with Shibayan (the composer for eXceed - Gun Bullet Children, a.k.a. eXceed 1.)  All I know is that someone's told me that that OST is like European techno or acid trance or something like that.  Also I probably listen to it "wrong" in the sense that I naturally pay more attention to things like tonality and harmony than instrumentation/samples but then again I am enjoying it so who's to say it's really all that wrong.

I didn't want to share youtube vids since they're cluttery and I saw you didn't use them so I wanted to respect that.

fuck I just want a simple thread for us to possibly share some neat
    songs with each other not everything has to be couched in 55 layers of
    irony or some kind of weird joke, there is nothing to get, I described
    exactly the thread's purpose in the opening post and if you're not
    interested just don't post in it and let it die a natural death.

well i _am_ in fact posting what i am in fact listening to at the time, and i am sometimes commenting on what i am listening to as well.

sorry i don't know any of the stuff you posted so i can't comment on it.
  • glenn

dude

please

I'm begging you

stop.

see what I did there?

do that

Artist - Song Name, in italics preferably if you're also writing in the post

simple

right?

I'm not being unclear here righ
  • Oh, you wanted that specific format.  Sorry about that.
  • kill living beings
    i'm not like launching an attack on music by writing a prose description of what i hear because i want to

now that i have gotten out of bed i am listening to Roberto di Marino - Bandoneón Concerto (first movement)

it's a bit cliché, maybe, i don't know how to describe my feeling of adequacy
  • edited 2015-06-05 14:20:58
    Alec Holowka - Dark Places - {Aquaria}

Makes me think about why we associate dark places with low notes and bright places with high notes...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I think I tried this thread before here and got pretty much the same result. But, here goes.

Led Zeppelin - Night Flight
  • Alec Holowka - Archaic - {Aquaria}

This is one of the tracks that's not in D minor / F major.  It's in E phrygian, which basically meant that Naija's chanting scale had to change to D dorian (i.e. include a B natural instead of B flat).  While this greatly constrained the tonality variety in this OST, it also led to some interesting creative choices.

Incidentally, it probably says something about how my mind interprets tonality in terms of meaning, since the OST being relatively uniform tonality-wise gave me a sense of similarity to most of the areas in the game.  For example, the Energy Temple (the area with this track here) feels more different from the Home Waters area than the difference between the Forest and Home Waters areas.
  • Johnny Cash - Ain't No Grave

This was from his posthumous album. 
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm not listening to anything ATM, but I like the idea of this thread and I will give it a go once I am listening to things.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Gil Evans: "Priestess"

These saxophones sound a bit too "80s" for my taste, but everything else is great.
    Univers Zero - Chinavox

A song so good that I uploaded it to YouTube myself.
  • battles - rainbow
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Giorgio Moroder: "Evolution"
  • edited 2015-06-05 23:22:05
    Mike Morasky - It Hates Me So Much - {Team Fortress 2}

Blues.  Also, a TF2 track that's NOT in E minor, lol.  (The key of E minor dominates the soundtrack.  And by soundtrack, I mean assortment of randomly-selected title screen themes, and a few fanfares.)
  • a baby crying
  • Czarface (Inspectah Deck + 7L & Esoteric) featuring MF DOOM - Ka Bang!!
  • edited 2015-06-06 01:21:15
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Led Zeppelin - Boogie With Stu
    Led Zeppelin - Black Country Woman
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    PM Dawn- Set Adrift On Memory Bliss
  • Marian Hill - Got It
  • Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound Of Silence
    Led Zeppelin - Sick Again
  • edited 2015-06-06 02:03:53
    on another stupid statement dance mix binge right now...mentally replaying a rhythm for "finagle a bagel" that i came up a while back.

and suddenly it's morphed into Tiny Tim - Living in the Sunlight

yeah, having one of those loopy moments.
    naney said:

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound Of Silence

That is a nice song.
  • i did not like it not one little bit
  • naney said:

i did not like it not one little bit

why not?
    The Sound of Silence is a great song.

anyway

Led Zeppelin - Brandy & Coke
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

i did not like it not one little bit

le gasp
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-06-06 02:42:06
    Marian Hill - Lips 
    Marian Hill - Wasted 

(I'm the type who will listen to chunks of albums or whole albums in order in lieu of shuffle most of the time, so my patterns are usually pretty static)

Robert DeLong - Just Movement (album and song) 
    Robert DeLong - Global Concepts 
    Robert DeLong - Happy
    Robert DeLong - Change (How You Feel)
    Robert DeLong - Here

(The transition between those last two tracks is legit the best one on the album. Reminds me a little bit of No Sunlight and Cath from Death Cab's Narrow Stairs in that both sets of tracks end up feeling like singular songs.)

Robert DeLong - Few Years Make

(Been listening to this for a month and a half and still stumbling over the words.)

Robert DeLong - Religious Views

(BE NOT AFRAID, IT'S JUST A GAME, BE NOT AFRAID, IT'S JUST A GAME, BE NOT AFRAID, IT'S JUST A GAME, BE NOT AFRAID, IT'S JUST A GAME, etc.)

• edited 2015-06-06 02:54:42
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I like Simon & Garfunkel, but anyway... 

• Robert DeLong - Complex by Degree
    Robert DeLong - _________
    Robert DeLong - Perfect

(Undeniably my favorite track on the album. Not sure who the female vocalist is on it, but her soprano gives the song a sort of sweetness DeLong alone can't, though his matter-of-fact vox are always a pleasure regardless. It's also one of the few electronic songs I know of that masterfully uses a xylophone, so there's that.)

Heathen - Opiate of the Masses

this band knew how to thrash
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-06-06 03:06:44
    Ryn Weaver - OctaHate
    Ryn Weaver - The Fool
  • Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman - Step in Time - {Mary Poppins}
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Donnie Iris - Ah! Leah!