The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa

edited 2015-04-19 09:03:11 in General Media
So yeah, for some reason I decided this show needed its own thread

I don't remember liking the show much when I was younger, and when watching it now I don't think it's too hot

The exec producers behind it (Tony Craig and Roberts Gannaway, the former of whom is a known cartoon geek) did go on to do 101 and Mickey Mouse Works, so that's something

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I do think some of its BGM got reused in 101 though
    also Shenzi, Banzai and Ed have their own series of shorts, "The Laughing Hyenas" and the one I'm watching is the weirdest shit probably because the very idea is the weirdest shit

They go from being accomplices in a violent coup (albeit one whose motivation is perfectly understandable) and attempted child killers to being the stars of "funny" cartoons
    okay nvm it's boss shit

they DID cheap up the characters' designs (the Renaissance designs weren't built for anything less than fluid, graceful motion and there are no noticeable changes to the characters' designs for the TV budgets/schedules) but still
    also paging @Panurge one of the cheetahs (and of course Ed) is voiced by Jim Cummings
    hahaha this show's like some weird fanfic that somehow got made as official material it's amazing

that or it takes place during the time in The Lion King when Simba considered himself exiled from the Pride Lands

to think that I'm binging this show just because of some dumb Disney Animated Canon crossover fanfic I decided to write
    I do kind of wonder if Cadpig's design was partly based on Timon's
    also in the show, Shenzi was voiced by Tress MacNeille (replacing Whoopi Goldberg) and Banzai was voiced by Rob Paulsen (replacing Cheech Marin)

now if Ed were voiced by Jess Harnell...
    Tress and Rob do really convincing simulations of Whoopi and Cheech too
    the show's version of the Henri Rousseau-inspired look of Timon and Pumbaa's domain in The Lion King is really kind of "off"-looking though
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I haven't seen this show in AGES but I know that my sister used to watch it in reruns on Toon Disney
  • YOUR DOOR IS AJAR

YOUR DOOR IS AJAR