Heaper Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-01-27 20:36:16
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Yay Christopher Lee

on the previous page
  • edited 2012-01-28 16:32:52
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Christopher Lee is ALWAYS in your heart...

It's pretty goddamned terrifying.
  • edited 2012-01-28 18:28:46

Out of things that happened yesterday that happened that I did not expect, terrkerr coming back to TVTropes after his long hiatus to attack any non- Buddhist religion he could in the coven threads was definitely the highest.

Kinda kills the notion that he used this time away to mediate and reflect on the teachings of the Buddha.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...that's what he came back for?

I was kind of happy that he did, as I didn't know the context. I liked him.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I threatened him with a ban if he didn't be more respectful in those threads and I think it made him cry.

I'm not sure I have the heart to tell him how melodramatic this all seems.  His behaviour perplexes me.
  • edited 2012-01-28 19:55:17

You know, I felt he was an OK guy myself. It was a shame to see him go.

I could never have predicted this was the manner in which he'd choose to come back.

'Course he mysteriously stopped posting after awhile. Probably won't see him again for awhile, if at all.

A wild Fourier appears and explains everything!

• edited 2012-01-28 19:57:07
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I don't know if he's going anywhere.  He seemed to indicate that he wanted to stick around.

>A wild Fourier appears and explains everything!

Oh, hehe.  I guess I do that sometimes. ^_^
  • edited 2012-01-28 19:58:43

Hopefully he actually does reflect on his actions.

I told him a few times that being angry like that was not very Buddhist at all and he should instead meditate, reflect, and let go of such negative emotions.

Never thought I'd have to explain that to a self-identifying Buddhist...
    Apparently he thought he was doing the right thing by his faith in denouncing others.  I told him that we would respect his faith if he respected ours.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Buddhism has some aspects that put it at odds with other religions, but I can't for the life of me humor the idea that a scripture says much more than "There is no creator god, determinism is false, now shut up and start concentrating on the dharma!"
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

OK, yeah, he's back and gone on something of a mea culpa tour through the coven threads.

Good times.
  • That was very strange. He was quite DRAMATIC.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    (looks at the last several posts) Wow. Sounds awkward. I hope everything gets sorted out.

I notice that it's a bit easier for me to get involved with this community than the one on TV Tropes. I don't have anything against TV Tropes; it's just that this community is a bit smaller and more relaxed, and I guess kind of by extension, less prone to drama. I like that kind of thing in a community.
  • TVT used to be a lot more like this. (*Old Man Sigh*)
    When?

IJBM 2 was kinda like this at one point.
  • More, not "Exactly"

It seemed when i first came to TVT things were a lot more.... Casual.
  • edited 2012-01-28 21:03:11
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It was; sadly, nobody ever talks about that point in its history. It never gets talked about much these days, probably because most of the problem people have been banned.

Weirdly, even though in its early days IJBM2 was choked to death with shitposting and fetish talk I kind of miss those days.

^It felt that way to me too.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    TVT did seem different when I first arrived, in the fall of '09. I feel kind of nostalgic for those days.
    It did used to be more casual.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Did I bring up something touchy? Sorry. I notice this subject has come up a lot lately.

Yes, I am aware of the drama that's gone on recently. Honestly, I don't think I have anything constructive to say about it.
  • Now it's all DRAMA.

I FUCKING HATE Drama.
    No, it's not touchy, just sentimental.
    I don't think it's really a touchy subject.

It's not so much the drama, but TVT has changed.  Not just for the worst, but not entirely for the better.  Some people miss the way it was.  Including myself, sometimes.

Still, no way to go but forwards.
  • Eeyup.

Nowhere but forwards.
    Sometimes I want to bump the TVT thread but I usually have nothing to add.
  • edited 2012-01-28 21:14:07
    ^^ -_-;

It can get better.  The forums are kind of a trainwreck, but the site itself can be salvaged, and maybe then the forums will improve with it, given care and effort.
  • edited 2012-01-28 21:15:18

So that's where it's from...

The forums will get the axe, the site needs an overhaul, and Eddie seems at his wits end.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    TVT has changed and its current state no longer appeals to me, much as I don't like to admit it.
    I tended to stay out of the trainwreckier parts of the forums. (Yack Fest was pretty much the main reason I came there by the time I had left it; I found it dull, Trash Heap aside, and even that that thread is less fun to me than it used to be)
    TV Tropes doesn't really appeal to me right now, either, but I'm attached to (what's left of) the community, and I don't think the concept is a bad one.

And I kinda feel I have a responsibility to stay there, if nobody else will.  I will leave when it really does seem hopeless, not before then.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    One of the reasons I was so hesitant to leave was that I didn't want to contribute to the mass exodus.

It's a self-perpetuating cycle, too...how often do people cite "all the cool people are gone" as a reason for leaving, you know?
  • Yeah, but then I realized I had no real obligation to the site.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Pretty much your biggest reason for sticking around was me, wasn't it?
  • At some point I should probably let people know I'm not there any more. I haven't been sure how to do that in a way that isn't overdramatic, but maybe I'm just overthinking it.
    Pretty much your biggest reason for sticking around was me, wasn't it?
    You were probably talking to Naney, but yes. You and Idler, and you're both here now...
  • edited 2012-01-28 21:36:37

@ Bunny: Yeah.
    I still like the wiki. It's not perfect, but it's a wealth of information, and I can have fun with it.

It's mainly the forums that seem...less pleasant than they were.
    @ Haven: Just don't post there.  People will notice, given time.  I think the only reason they might not have done so yet is because you've taken fairly lengthy breaks before, IIRC.

People realised that AU and CA aren't there anymore recently.  They seemed upset, but there was no drama.  It's the same when anyone stops posting there.
    This was around TU and the like, wasn't it? I knew of at least one LGBT thread instance of it.
    It happened in the LGBT thread about a week ago, and PYRT just the other day.
    I wonder if anyone ever noticed that I stopped posting except in the Trash Heap and (for reasons I can't quite fathom) Fetishes.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I imagine that people will notice my lack of posting in the future.
  • edited 2012-01-28 21:45:15
    It was oddly touching that people noticed my absence the last time I took a break.  Somebody asked about it in Absent People.

It happened in the LGBT thread about a week ago, and PYRT just the other day.
    I wonder what it says about me that my first reaction was to go look for these instances.
  • edited 2012-01-28 23:22:30

"It seemed when i first came to TVT things were a lot more.... Casual."

Also, we have a thread for this. :P
  • The sadness will last forever.
    The forums make me uncomfortable because I found the dark side of it.
    By which I presume you mean you posted in it and made extensive use of the anxiety thread and your fellow tropers' support, then flipped when you realised people were making fun of the site, played the "I was just trolling" card and flounced, got banned, only to return repeatedly under various different handles.
  • ^^No real "Dark Side" everything is pretty open.
    More of my thoughts on TVT changing here.

I kept it positive because I wanted to be encouraging, but I meant and am willing to stand by every word.
  • regarding TVTropes: meh.

That's kind of how I feel about it now. The people I miss who care about me enough to want to talk to me I can either talk to here or on Skype. 

I'm done with defending it, attacking it, whatever the fuck. I'm just sort of over it. I'll use the wiki when I feel like it, but I don't particularly care about it anymore.