mixed signals from professional design work

This open for WISH, at the time Indianapolis's CBS affiliate, is from 1998:

When the animations resolve, the end results look pretty typical of their era, but when they move (except for the layers of the "8" logo at the end) they look kind of awkward and rough to me.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    and looking at the end, the 8 logo has five layers, two of which disappear before the resolution of the animation
    this thing really could have done without all the lens flares
    this open is far better:

the colors are pretty '90s and lack the timelessness of what replaced it, but the actual animation is far tighter and effectively uses the music (a better cut of Stephen Arnold's Newsleader than in the open I posted at first) as a score
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    yeah, the second one is a little too busy, but it's still an improvement over the first.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's interesting; I don't have much knowledge of these things and can't pick up on the details you can, AU, but I can feel how the second open you posted feels "tighter" and thus a bit nicer
    turns out Newsleader isn't in the 1998 one, the WISH-TV News Music Package is

I don't know why they're separate things, aside from the latter including some cuts repurposed from Counterpoint