Things That Intrigue Me But Vaguely Intimidate Me

In no particular order:

• Computer programming, particularly in esoteric languages.
• Writing systems of eastern and central Asia.
• The greater body of metal and electronic dance music.
• Marcel Proust.
• Calculus and set theory at the higher levels.
• GMing roleplaying games.
• Writing (which I do).
• Video games in general.
• Chinese mediaeval historical novels.
• Instrument building, particularly circuitry.
• Academia.
• Public speaking.
• Other people.

Comments

• kill living beings
    i know most of the esolangs.org admins. i can hook you up, man. or just talk myself. i'm a big adamatzky fan.

i can also do calculus and complain about academia. and explain some circuitry basics, though nothing much to do with music probably. and i know a few things about central asian writing, not much though.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Good list.

i feel the same way about most of those, with the possible exception of video games (i am intimidated by people who are good at games, but the games themselves either interest me or don't).
  • edited 2014-11-29 23:27:46
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ My issue is that I do not even have basic programming skills and I am not sure where I would even start...

^ It's specific games, yes, but there are so many that I would play if I had the skill but simply cannot, or do not think that I can...
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I feel the same about academia, circuitry, and advance math... there was writing on the list but I'm just too bad at that, same with drawing... there is also music, which I never really put much energy into it.

I wish I would be knowledgeable on those things and maybe help you out but ._.
    I do know Java and C++, but those aren't quite esoteric..
  • kill living beings
    i think the best way to get started with program is to find some harmless and responsive (responsivity is really important, you do not want to start out getting frustrated at miscompiles like i did) programming environment and fuck around in it. the glasgow haskell compiler ("ghc"), clozure common lisp ("ccl"), and uh let's say racket (racket-lang.org) all have what's called a read-eval-print-loop, which means it takes in some short program (like a few lines), runs it, spits out the output, then repeats. very good for experimentation. the programming languages used are haskell, common lisp ("CL"), and racket (a variety of "scheme"). all three languages have good introductory books available online free. haskell's is "learn you a haskell for great good" and CL's is "a gentle introduction to symbolic computation". scheme's is sicp, which is extraordinarily good, but intended for science/engineering students - should be readable without knowing calculus but it's gonna show up in the examples. the latter two books are aimed at non-programmers.

i know programmers get really annoying when asked about learning programming so do tell me to stop if that happens
  • kill living beings
    i'm curious why you're interested in esoteric programming specifically. that's uh, kind of obscure i guess?
  • edited 2014-11-29 23:35:37

i know so much metal related stuff it's scary, even if i don't listen to metal primarily anymore

my knowledge of electronic music is less comprehensive because it's more diverse, lots of important stuff is in singles only format and fans tend to be less evangelical about the good stuff

though i know at least a few key artists from like every subgenre so
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    There seem to be a lot of electronic subgenres, which can be daunting, i think.
  • edited 2014-11-29 23:40:41

like even as someone who is really interested in electronic music i could sit down, go to youtube, poke around for a minute or two and find an endless supply of good-to-superb tunes from producers i've never heard of before
  • edited 2014-11-29 23:41:55
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^^ Because stuff like Mondrian and Brainfuck is just conceptually fascinating to me. That said, in general I just find the nitty-gritty of such thing really intriguing, making things happen with simple sequences of commands. It's like a cross between math, writing and hermetic magic.

^^^ You are the best tutor.
  • kill living beings
    mm, you might be interested in the more mathy side of programming, then. all the early programming models, and most of the ones used in mathematics, universal turing machines and lambda calculus and such, are "esoteric" in the sense that they're totally unusable for day to day programming but are useful for saying "hey whistling this sequence of tones computes prime numbers" or whatever. if that's the case you might like this book. i haven't read it but everyone likes smullyan, and he is the rare philosopher who can crack a joke.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    What's medieval to you?

Also, you want to GM? I can hook you uuuuppp, maaaaaannn
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The big one that comes to mind is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I'm interested, but I don't know whether my interest is proportional to my willingness to toss myself into the fray.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Jump in, says I.

I'm currently going through Journey To The West, so that's taking my time right now.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Jump in.

Just keep a notebook, and write down the names and nicknames of characters as they are introduced. 

It might also help to write one detail with each name.

Or to have one notebook page for one faction, and another notebook page for another faction, and so on.

When you get to the part with the two Dowager Empresses, make at least one family tree and read that part really slowly so you can understand what's going on.

Cross out names of people who die.

It might also help to, every time someone is mentioned as Prefect of Somewhere, to make a note of that.  Though there is one point early on where they name all the Prefectures.  That will at least help you have a basis for setting up some of the factions and being able to tell Prefects from random soldiers.

I know this sounds slow and difficult, and for the first ten or twenty pages it is, but you'll have something to show for it, and next time you try to start, you'll have notes.

Once Cicadia shows up, you'll probably have a good enough understanding of who the main characters are to just read it as a novel for the next few chapters.
  • kill living beings
    god, it's true. i got so lost trying to read another of thc lassics cos there were like eighty characters by chapter three
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I'm part way through Outlaws of the Marsh (aka the Water Margin) rn and I can definitely agree with the characters. Its at the point where whenever a new character appears I never know if they're actually new or someone who was mentioned 20 chapters ago and I forgot about.

Enjoying it, though. I'm thinking of reading Romance when I finish.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    death