Choose Your Own Dungeon Crawl -- Rules + Discussion

edited 2014-08-11 21:05:42 in Roleplay & Games
"Oh hey", you might say, "Mo has another zany idea for an RP, big surprise". Well FUCK YOU, hypothetical commenter, this is actually a choose your own adventure game! One that I think strikes a nice middle ground between the zaniness of the some of the other ones on this site and my own Drink The Moon.

Your (plural "Your") role here is that of a typical dungeoneering adventurer. Think a player character in your average game of Dungeons & Dragons, or the protagonist of DungeonCrawl StoneSoup, and you've got the general idea (both of those things also have dungeon in the name, which helps). But rather than a number-heavy RPG, it's a choose your own adventure thread.

So it seems pretty simple, right? Well it is, but there are a few more rules.

Any time I ask a question of the player character (probably most commonly "what will you do now?" or something to that effect), that means that you, the person posting the post, has free reign to type whatever you want within reason (obviously you can't just type "beat the game", that would be silly) for a time, until I can lead into a new encounter for you to overcome. Keep answers relatively within the general realm of fantasy stuff, but you do not need to go for traditionalisms necessarily. That said, please don't be excessively ridiculous either.

Speaking of encounters, yes, you will be fighting monsters, and frequently! But there is no hard combat system. You will exchange blows (or spells, or whatever) with the creature until it is dead.

If you manage to get yourself killed we will start over.

The intro post proper should be coming up shortly. I'm thinking of imposing a rule limiting the amount of time between posts or the amount of in-a-row posts by one person, but we'll see how things progress.

Comments