ITT: Rather old photographs (Image-heavy, obviously)

edited 2012-03-03 15:38:14 in Talk
I was looking at the Columbus Metropolitan Library's "Columbus in Photographs" site and I just had to share some of these.

Eastland Mall was originally one of three "directional" malls in Columbus, alongside Northland and Westland Malls. Today Westland is dying a slow and painful death and Northland has long since been demolished, but Eastland remains. Here is a picture of the mall's interior. (It was unfortunately undated, but is likely from the late 1960s)

The mall, in its original configuration, had three anchor stores.

Penney's:

Sears:

and Lazarus:

(For comparison, here's my own photo of the now-vacant Lazarus, taken in November 2011.)

Comments

• edited 2012-01-02 18:36:58
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Hey, funny how little the building has changed.

Most of what we see from this time is in black and white. It's cool to see some actual color on people's clothes and see that things where about as bright and colorful then as they are now:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    This thread is full of TIME.

Time is awesome.
  • Both photo-filled posts in this are awesome.

I wish I had great old color photographs like that of my area. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Looking through collections of old photographs again, this time from the defunct Columbus Citizen-Journal.

In 1966 there was an accident involving a gas truck explosion, which, among other things, melted the supports of the Cleveland Avenue bridge and knocked down some overhead signs:

For comparison here's my (admittedly crappy) photo of the same place in 2011:

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I find it mildly amusing that a hospital has been built since then (or at least, a it's been added to the sign).
  • edited 2012-03-03 16:15:51
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's interesting to me how little has actually changed since then, aside from repairing the damage. I don't doubt that the streetlights in either picture are the same ones.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The sign that got all melted and charred seems to be missing. How tragic for it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I noticed that too. I wonder if it was initially replaced and then later removed (the current signs date to 2000 at the earliest) or whether it was just deemed redundant when the damaged gantry was replaced.

Also, here's a closer view of the damage. Note the distinct charred outline of the Interstate shield:

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Wow.

You know, if you painted a little blue circle on that, the Interstate shield would look like that monster from Chip's Challenge that is apparently supposed to be a robotic plane/glider but looks more like a gray bedsheet ghost.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...is it strange that the charred outline looks cool to me?
    ^ No, I thought so too. Part of why I posted that one out of the 4 or 5 pictures I found.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Scenery Gorn

I love it!
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    Taken from here:http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/11275

That is an epic pair of goggles.

I bet the inside of his lungs looks just like his face. Maybe worse.

If I build a time machine, I'm going to ask her out on a date.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Oh neeto. 1940s  as well. I just love the high quality colors that come from that era. I really liked this one from the site you linked: