Mike Hammer, P.I., in...

edited 2012-01-01 17:17:25 in Roleplay & Games
..."BLOOD SUGAR!"

My train was late getting here, thanks to the rain that seems to like following me every time I venture out of my dingy little one-room apartment. It rains in Los Angeles, it rains in New York, it rains in Chicago. It rains where there's murder and lowlifes. It rains.

Now it's raining on a pleasant little city nestled in a charming little valley because somebody called me, the big bad rain cloud, and told me to come and visit. I didn't want to. I'd heard of this place's reputation. I'd heard of the unsolved crimes and the rumors of corruption...but dammit, I had to come here.

There's been a murder in Candy Valley.

My train stops and I disembark, pulling the collar of my trench coat up a little higher to flip the proverbial middle finger to the proverbial Mother Nature. This is because when I flipped the actual, physical middle finger to the actual, eco-terrorist Mother Nature, she broke it for me. I told Terry that I couldn't solve a crime with one of my ten trigger fingers in a cast, but he never was a very good listener.

I walk down the sugar-coated street, reading signs that lead me to City Hall. I've still got precious few details about the murder, and the conversation I had with the chief of police over the phone made it clear that he thinks the city needs me like (another) hole in molar 46, so I need to go straight to the top.

I walk on into City Hall and say,

"Where's the Mayor?"
Tagged:

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Out of town, sir!
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Damn. Shut down before I could even start. Is this a coincidence, or an alibi?

Well, when'll she be back?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'll let her answer that one...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well come on, it's New Year's! Who wants to spend a holiday in a shithole like Candy Valley?

Er, I mean a fine and an outstanding city like Candy Valley. Or something.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    How does Candy Valley celebrate New Years?
  • WITH BLOOD SACRIFICE.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    I almost don't hear the mayor's answer over a whispered conversation behind me. Blood sacrifice? Already my investigation is getting deadly. A town-wide conspiracy, perhaps? Candy Valley has a reputation for being eccentric. Before today, I had always taken that as a reference to the candy thing.

Gus Chuggins wanted to spend New Year's in your fine city, ma'am. Now he's dead for it.