Seek bars in video players

edited 2014-07-12 03:26:35 in Design
At some point in the last few years, any video site not stuck in the year 2007 redesigned its player to deemphasize the seek bar and display it only when the video is moused over. Seek bars now intrude into the area of the video itself.

Who thought this was a good idea?

Comments

• It's such an asinine thing to do. It's not a minor annoyance; it makes it really difficult to watch anything subtitled.

Thanks for pointing this out.
  • Furthermore, you can't pinpoint parts of the video with the seek bar.  So if you didn't hear something clearly and want to review it, you'll have to listen to extraneous parts of the video -- you can't just place your mouse over a specific pixel and reliable get it to replay over and over again.

I've noticed that there's just a general trend toward hiding features and controls like this.  It's like, designing everything with the aim of fitting smartphones and small-screen devices.

Uhh, some of us still use and will continue to use laptops and desktops.  We'd like our controls displayed.
  • welp

i kind of just accepted this over time, and actually grew to like Netflix's variant because of how it shows a preview of the video at the part the playhead is directed at

but I'm a dumb person who can not be trusted
  • edited 2014-07-12 11:50:16
    and this is why i download my videos and use my own video playing program

the only way stuff goes right is if i do it myself
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

and this is why i download my videos and use my own video playing program

the only way stuff goes right is if i do it myself

QuickTime Player does it too...
  • Get Media Player Classic (or something that comes with it, such as CCCP).
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I think Anonus is on a Mac.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yes, I usually use VLC for its screencapping capabilities
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also, I find little need for CCCP or the like anymore since Windows 7 and later seem to have most decent codecs built-in, and anything you can't play with the default codecs can play fine in VLC.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Also, I find little need for CCCP or the like anymore since Windows 7 and later seem to have most decent codecs built-in, and anything you can't play with the default codecs can play fine in VLC.

I use cccp, I think.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I use CCCP and MPC-HC and prefer its interface to WMP's anyways, though I think installing CCCP lets you play things like MKVs on WMP.
  • edited 2014-07-12 19:39:38

It definitely helps when you can seek finely through a video using multi-touch or the scroll wheel. This is one of the reasons I prefer to use VLC on my MacBook and MX Player on my smartphone.
  • I prefer CCCP over VLC.