The Manga thread

edited 2014-06-13 08:28:37 in General
This is a thread in which we discuss, recommend, and post pages from, manga.

Recommendations from Odradek to come later.

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I really like Otoyomegatari, you guys.
  • kill living beings
    i haven't read otoyomegatari in a while

i started reading teppu again, it's as painfula s ever (because they keep keneing eiach other oin the face, what is with MMA)
  • Planning to read Oyasumi Punpun sometime, what should I expect?
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Despair
  • kill living beings
    abhorrence
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Sakamoto Desu Ga?- Episodic slice of life manga about a mysterious hypercompetent teenager and his effects on the world around him.

The Lives of Eccentrics- Manga about the lives of various strange real-life figures. Was a side project released sporadically for years, so the artstyle of the artist changes quite a lot between chapters. Chapter 2 is a bit skeevy and there is more than a little gore, but it's over-the-top nature is quite fun.

Uzumaki- Weird Fiction horror story about the spiral-based oddities that befall a small Japanese town. This is fairly famous so you have probably already read this, but if not, get to it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Junji Ito's Cat Diary is a joy. Good companion to Uzumaki in its own way...
  • Started read JJBA again. Gonna see if I can make past part 2.

Also, Myrm, have you read the oneshot "Rohan Kishibe goes to Gucci"? It's mostly an advertisement for Gucci, but I thought it was an interesting short story all the same.

Started read JJBA again. Gonna see if I can make past part 2.

Also, Myrm, have you read the oneshot "Rohan Kishibe goes to Gucci"? It's mostly an advertisement for Gucci, but I thought it was an interesting short story all the same.

I have not, but I'm interested. Rohan is a fun character.

Also if it helps at all, check out the amazing Battle Tendency Part 2 soundtrack from the anime.
  • Odradek said:

Started read JJBA again. Gonna see if I can make past part 2.

I have not, but I'm interested. Rohan is a fun character.

Also if it helps at all, check out the amazing Battle Tendency Part 2 soundtrack from the anime.
    Yeah, he is. So far, he's been my favorite character in JJBA, even without seeing him in the story proper. I can't wait until I get to his part of the story.

I'm almost through with part 2 (been blazing through it actually), but I'll still check it out.
  • Okay, just got to the part where Cars turned his hand into a cannibalistic squirrel that just ate a Nazi's face off. I have no words.
  • ^ that guy looks like john lennon.
  • edited 2014-07-31 16:29:17

Mostly through part 3 of JJBA. I have about 25 more chapters to read. It's been a fun read overall, but I felt this part relied a little too much on villains of the week and too many of them. After a while, I was ready to get to the fight with Dio already.

So far, my favorite villains out of part 3 have been the Oingo Biongo brothers and the D'arby brothers.

Mostly through part 3 of JJBA. I have about 25 more chapters to read. It's been a fun read overall, but I felt this part relied a little too much on villains of the week and too many of them. After a while, I was ready to get to the fight with Dio already.

So far, my favorite villains out part 3 have been the Oingo Biongo brothers and the D'arby borthers.

Villain of the week is the name of the game in Jojo from this part on, but they get more interesting, dynamic in the use of their powers, and Part 4, 6, and 7's villains are a lot more active than Dio is.

It also does a lot to stretch the concept of a fight.
  • Odradek said:

So far, my favorite villains out part 3 have been the Oingo Biongo brothers and the D'arby borthers.

Villain of the week is the name of the game in Jojo from this part on, but they get more interesting, dynamic in the use of their powers, and Part 4, 6, and 7's villains are a lot more active than Dio is.

It also does a lot to stretch the concept of a fight.
    I see. I'll keep that in mind. I finished part 3. The good parts were better than part 1 or 2 in my mind, but some of the weaker parts of part 3 felt worse or less interesting to me than parts of part 2. I think I enjoyed part 3 overall, but it felt kind of inconsistent at points. Looking forward to part 4 and Kishibe Rohan.
    More people should read Kuro. It is legitimately creepy as hell.
  • More people should read Kuro. It is legitimately creepy as hell.

Noted. I'll definitely give it a look.

Also, nine chapters into part 4 and I already think Josuke is my favorite of the protagonists so far and has my favorite ability of the protagonists too. What he did to Angelo is just awesome.
  • kill living beings
    the combination of her being able to see the cat and her not having been injected is spooky.
  • kill living beings
    it's like garfield with mandated psychoactive drugs
    naney said:

Kuro?

A girl finds what she thinks is her lost kitten, but this new kitten is... unusual.

It is unsettling and weird as hell.
    I haven't read it in a while, so I'll have to look...

• oooh, i started on this a while back!
    It's kind of cute, in that the cat seems to be protecting her, and there is a droll humour to the situations, but that doesn't make it any less surreal or creepy.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's not manga, but it's similar. 
    Blood and Steel is a fantastic wuxia comic, written by and for Chinese audiences, with a very distinct Chinese calligraphy-inspired art style.

Basically it's about martial artists killing each other. In the wuxia shared meta-universe (kind of like the Lovecraft Mythos in that multiple authors borrow and take ideas from a source while also adding to it), the traditional "good guys" of the Wudang Sect are here portrayed as the main antagonists, seeking to conquer the martial arts world by force.

Oh and there's a kid who is spared the slaughter of his school, meets another survivor, and begins travelling through China to find allies, that they might take revenge.
  • edited 2014-07-31 23:40:13

It's not manga, but it's similar. 

Blood and Steel is a fantastic wuxia comic, written by and for Chinese audiences, with a very distinct Chinese calligraphy-inspired art style.

Basically it's about martial artists killing each other. In the wuxia shared meta-universe (kind of like the Lovecraft Mythos in that multiple authors borrow and take ideas from a source while also adding to it), the traditional "good guys" of the Wudang Sect are here portrayed as the main antagonists, seeking to conquer the martial arts world by force.

Oh and there's a kid who is spared the slaughter of his school, meets another survivor, and begins travelling through China to find allies, that they might take revenge.
    Oh man, I was gonna review that in my personal thread (I really need to get back to that. There are quit a few series I want to do reviews for). I love this series, especially the art. Did not know that about the Wudang Sect. Definitely makes the series more interesting when taking that into account.
    Yeah, totally. Shaolin, Wudang are considered the greatest forces of traditional "good" in the Jianghu.
  • edited 2014-08-01 00:45:02

Yeah, totally. Shaolin, Wudang are considered the greatest forces of traditional "good" in the Jianghu.

I knew that about Shaolin, but that's mostly through bits of cultural osmosis. That's a really interesting take on Wudang in Blood and Steel.

Also, speaking of Manhua have you read The Ravages of Time?
    It's highly recommended, and I will get to it.
  • edited 2014-08-01 01:04:08

It's highly recommended, and I will get to it.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it once you get to it. I will say though, it is one of those series that it's a lot more fun to read all in one go than it is to read it bit by bit as it comes out, at least for me.

And yeah, definitely recommend the series, it's one of my favorite differing takes on Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
  • Bump!

Does anyone have any recommendations for anything that's sort of a melancholic slow-burn? I'm thinking of something along the lines of Record of Yokohama Shopping Trip, not a lot to it plotwise, but deliberate, mysterious, and calm, with a touch of melancholy.
  • Bump!

Does anyone have any recommendations for anything that's sort of a melancholic slow-burn? I'm thinking of something along the lines of Record of Yokohama Shopping Trip, not a lot to it plotwise, but deliberate, mysterious, and calm, with a touch of melancholy.

I don't know about melancholic, but Little Forest might be up your alley.
    Mushi-Shi. Both the comic and the show share that exact tone, and are heavily episodic rather than serial. Also, real pretty. I would also give Haibane Renmei the nod, but the series stopped when ABe started adapting it for television, and early on to whit...
  • edited 2014-10-08 04:02:37

After reading Under Execution Under Jailbreak I've come to the conclusion that Araki Hirohiko's best work is in his short stories. At the very least his short stories are my favorite stuff that I've seen of his body of work.

Also, anybody have any recommendations for a manga with a good romance story? I'm in the mood for something romance-y right now.
  • Started reading Giant Killing tonight. It's a really fun manga if you're into soccer/football.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-01-04 22:25:49

Started reading Giant Killing tonight. It's a really fun manga if you're into soccer/football.

If I remember right, @PatchAwful watched the anime adaption of that comic, so it might be worth asking her about it.

As for me, GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class is pretty much the only manga I read on a consistent basis these days (unless you count Sketchbook, though that comic lacks an official English translation). While it does not have the most original premise (a slice of life about art students), I feel like the characters are relatively original and Kiyuduki seems to put a lot of effort into the art. Even when the series delves into some traditional SoL territory like sleepovers and sports/cultural festivals, I think it still avoids repeating the same old same old.
  • LW said:

Started reading Giant Killing tonight. It's a really fun manga if you're into soccer/football.

If I remember right, @PatchAwful watched the anime adaption of that comic, so it might be worth asking her about it.
    Didn't even know there was an anime adaptation. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    The Giant Killing anime was very good, iirc. Very faithful to the tone of the manga, although I only picked up the manga at the point where the show ended (it's a couple years old, so they only adapted the first part of the season, although the pacing and everything seemed spot on). I'd definitely recommend it
  • The Giant Killing anime was very good, iirc. Very faithful to the tone of the manga, although I only picked up the manga at the point where the show ended (it's a couple years old, so they only adapted the first part of the season, although the pacing and everything seemed spot on). I'd definitely recommend it

Okay cool, I'll definitely check it out then. Do you remember the spot where the anime ended?
    It ends just after their first match with Osaka Gunners
  • Man, I haven't caught up with Hunter x Hunter.

Okay, thanks.

np!
  • Dusk Maiden of Amnesia suffers from some serious pacing problems and likes to rapidly switch between comedy, romance, ecchi (the fanservice often goes over the top, but, well, Maybe! is a former hentai mangaka), and horror, and it settles into an uncomfortable dip between all four genres but I'd really recommend it because the last two volumes are so great. The ending is a touch....odd, and won't satisfy everyone, but I found it lovely.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Dowman Sayman stuff is really interesting.
  • Odradek said:

Sakamoto Desu Ga?- Episodic slice of life manga about a mysterious hypercompetent teenager and his effects on the world around him.

remember when Odradek predicted the meme by 2 years
  • kill living beings
    it was pretty much born memetic. also wow, we have a manga thread, and i've posted in it