Weird America -- Interest Check, Signup, Discussion

edited 2014-06-05 15:16:25 in General
Even the most rational mind will, under the right circumstances, concede that there are some things man can simply not explain. What they concede on will vary from person to person, some might say they've seen strange lights in the sky, others will swear they saw a ghost once, still some will speak of strange creatures roaming the woodlands.

What our point is here, is that there are some things out there that are simply weird, and that is indeed the best name for it. The Weird is the force of all that is inexplicable, mysterious, or defiant of scientific explanation, and The Weird in everyone's lives is a little different. But there are two Weirds, the Little Weird, the personal. That is the ghost, the spaceship, and the yeti. But we should speak of the Big Weird, both a force and a place. The Big Weird does not content itself with strange lights or spooking noises, The Big Weird causes entire civilizations to materialize out of thin air, and vanish into the mist again days later. The Big Weird causes changes in the fundamental laws of the universe--cold fusion, perpetual motion--and undoes them in an instant. The Big Weird is also a place, America's shady, mysterious cousin, a darker, deeper America, where thousands of miles of untamed forest and scalding desert are dotted only rarely with the dim lights of civilization.

Sometimes, a Little Weird becomes big, and sometimes, a person is pulled into this dark America, by their oh-so-harmless Little Weird.

That, dear players, is you. You are someone much like your real-world selves, average American citizens, but cursed with a Little Weird, and on this day, you've been pulled from our surgically clean bright America into the dark undergrowth of The Big Weird.

------

Character Sheet Template:

Name
Race (as in, Caucasian, African-American, etc., not Elf or Dwarf. Be as general or specific as you'd like.)

Weird: Weird Name -- Your weird is your personal Little Weird. Maybe you were abducted by aliens once--or multiple times--or maybe your house is haunted. Something strange is in your life, that is this.

Talent: Talent Name -- Weirds sharpen the minds and bodies of those they affect, and your Weird has led you to have these particular skills. They should be useful, and related to your Weird, if possible.

Backstory: Optional, a few lines will suffice for the most part.

----

An example character sheet:

Rachel H. Pons
Caucasian (American, French descent)
The Big Weird, born in Reading, Pennsylvania

Weird: Mad Science -- Though never predisposed to tinkering herself, Rachel is related to Stanley Pons, one half of the legendary Pons-Fleischman duo who claimed to discover cold fusion. Not a close relative of Stanley, Rachel was nonetheless exposed to a wide variety of unconventional scientific theories since a young age, giving the largely athletically-oriented Rachel a distant interest in such theories.

Talent: Weird Guns -- Upon her arrival in the Weird, Rachel discovered she had become remarkably resourceful. Nearly any pile of junk she could turn into a decently effective firearm. After nearly two years in the Weird, she's become downright adept at it, and can even create "impossible" guns, like lasers, and most notably, "Pons Coils", plasma cannons that use her famous relative's cold fusion principles.

----------

That's about it! Feel free to sign up whenever you'd like.

Knowledge of American geography and folklore will help in this game, but is by no means a necessity.

Also, you will be getting periodic You Are Here updates, with the first being as soon as we start the game. More about those when the time comes.

Inspiration for the series comes primarily from the Weird U.S. book series, a series of by-state catalogues of strange bits of folklore.
Tagged:

Comments

• Spencer Robertson
    African-American
    Big Weird, Northern Philadelphia

Weird: Trees Love This Guy -- Since kudzu sprung up around his crib, Spencer's been stalked by odd plants in odd places. Hardly a literal week goes by without finding a corpse flower outside his classroom, or a pitch-black redwood slowly growing out of his backyard, or a small crop of purple corn in his sink. He spent a good amount of his teens experimenting with the odder plants, the ones that don't appear in any textbook or scientific journal, but he's long since given up on finding an explanation and just kind of lives with it. He also secretly suspects that the plants are actually in love with him, as every relationship that he's been in has been foiled by plants harassing his girlfriend (trees falling on their cars, nightshade sprouting up beneath their pillows, etc.)

Talent: Traveling Apothecary -- Many of the plants that stalk Spencer have unusual properties, properties that have been revealed through his experiments. Some can be turned into adhesive, healing potions, poisons, etc. Spencer's mastered the art of distilling useful things out of plants.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    G. Genoya M'okim (the G. stands for Gilly... she thinks?)
    Second Generation Caucasian (Italian, German, claimed "part Native American," who knows what else)
    A small haunted house in New England

Weird: Him or Okim, Burn in Violet -- She is sure that she is just an ordinary witch selling potions, charms, and magical paraphernalia to passers-by in her small shop on a lonely road. She is sure the only people she knows are on the internet. She is sure that her non-stop nightmares about being a teen-aged boy who won't leave his bed are fake. Fake, but vivid: he watches the slow shifts of the pale, burning sunlight, his stomach rumbles, and shadowy, menacing figures push at the edge of his mind, shouting to be let in, but he won't let them, because he remembers the numbing cold they will flood his entire body with before he pushes them out with all of his strength. They say awful things that can't be true. They are the only things in this world other than himself. Gilly hates going to sleep because of these nightmares. She stays awake for as long as she can. She is always exhausted, it feels like. Sometimes, she can barely remember how to brew a potion.

Talent: Shmup-Colored Magic -- In real life, Gilly is every bit as agile as the magical anime girls in the danmaku games she likes. She feels that she will one day be able to fill her sight with her own magical projectiles, and then she can be a true danmaku witch. Yes.
  • Miko you cannot be Marisa Karisime in this RP :V
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    can we have only one Weird?  i'm torn between two...
  • edited 2014-06-04 12:23:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Is this OK?  It was either this or a secret society type thing.

Jacqueline Hélène Truman
    White British (US citizen)
    The Big Weird, Boston

Weird: Pendant of Sensation -- When she was 9 years old and living in her mother's home in Wiltshire, England, Jackie discovered a small, wooden pendant with an eye carved into it, which was wedged in a hollow in an old oak in Picket Wood.  It was pretty, so she took it.  She and her parents moved to her father's home city of Boston shortly afterwards.  Jackie is aware that the pendant has certain unusual properties, but is unaware of how much it meant to its previous owner, nor that said vengeful owner has been searching blindly-but-furiously for it ever since.  She's about to find out very soon, and she had best hope she has some cold iron on hand when that time comes...

Talent: Weirdness Detector -- The pendant carries an enchantment, the purpose of which is to provide sight, hearing and other senses to a creature who is deaf and blind without it.  Jackie could not possibly be aware of this, but she has noticed that while wearing the pendant, she often encounters... odd things.  Not usually dramatic things, but peculiar sensations.  Sounds that nobody else hears.  Strange marks on the sidewalk that nobody else seems to notice.  Eyes that peer through windows after dark, only to vanish the moment you look a second time.  Shadows belonging to people who aren't there...

Without the pendant she is perfectly normal, although prolonged exposure to it has left her slightly more observant than is average.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I'm not Kirisame! I don't dye my hair blonde. ^_^ Maybe I should change my talent to "being good at danmaku that isn't in real life?"
  • Well Miko the problem is more that danmaku skillz don't fit in well with a game about American folklore :I

Witches work fine, but maybe approach it from a different angle?
    okee ^_^
    wait what is American folklore :o
  • um like, Bigfoot, The Dover Demon, swamp people, that sort of thing?
    hmm... my character's talent will be that she comes out of people's TVs and kills them! :O
  • well that's Japanese folklore, so you're getting closer
    My character's talent will be that she appears in people's dreams and kills them! :O
  • I don't actually know what that's a reference to.
  • that's Freddy Kruger
  • Ah.

I'm gonna put a link to the Weird U.S. site in the OP so people are more immediately familiar with the inspiration behind this game

here it is down here as well

http://www.weirdus.com/index.php
    I dunno what else to add for someone who is a witch in a forest. :o
  • I mean the witch angle is fine I just don't think the danmaku thing fits.

Also the characters are supposed to be ordinary people with something strange about them, your character seems to be like the inverse of that.
  • On another note, two characters is enough for now (adding new people won't be hard), so Bobby and Yarrun, whenever you are ready to start we can.
    I may be a bit infrequently around today and tomorrow since I'm going home first thing tomorrow morning and I have the house to clean before I leave, but if you wanna start go ahead and I'll try to make time for it.
    -still interested-
  • I kiiiiind of want to join but I'm unsure of what my character's deets are beyond a possible name

But this does sound rad, so I'll probably join up once I think of something
  • this sounds rad but I have no idea for a character for this either, lol
    On the assumption that this is still maybe going to happen, just gonna dump some more info about my character here.

Spoiler:
    Jackie's pendant is basically a sense-enhancer, designed to enhance not just sight, but the other senses as well.  When used by an able-bodied human being with all senses intact, however, its most notable effect is its enhancing the wearer's ability to spot Weird, in all its manifestations.  Jackie doesn't know this; she's just aware that when she's wearing the pendant she tends to notice odd things.

The real owner of the pendant is an ancient creature who has been searching for it ever since Jackie made off with it and is now closing in.  The only reason said creature hasn't found her yet is that without the pendant, said creature is deaf and blind, and its other senses aren't anything to write home about, either.  The creature is probably some kind of fae, is most certainly violent, and is not at all forgiving.  I'll let Mo decide the rest, assuming she goes ahead with this game.